New Graphics For WBAY

Wisco TV Watcher

Holy smokes! WBAY, which doesn't change packages often, just debuted new graphics today on their Noon newscast. Their previous package was only about two or three years old.

Here are some screeen grabs from their Noon and 4 p.m. newscasts today. 1524289605_WBAY12.thumb.png.2da02a4938d3aafeb7f0778caae70d3f.png

Not totally inspiring, but not the worst package I've ever seen.

I still think WGBA has the best graphics in the market, closely followed by WFRV.

282300843_WBAY1.thumb.png.68312b4997120091521b6ae9740cece3.png

1463772166_WBAY2.thumb.png.155ecf81012c037759c8c9a7b5b8b4b3.png

951033330_WBAY3.thumb.png.b6b3eb8bc2ca1bf1df14579d4ae39cbc.png

1072838791_WBAY4.thumb.png.e0a1b314ef2bbfe43321a08be6cd6089.png

1152550667_WBAY5.thumb.png.58663567b1898087b93e0f6f79fee5a7.png

1431819217_WBAY6.thumb.png.912f1e4712b9440d14882063dabaee6e.png

1599090208_WBAY7.thumb.png.14cb403990e05676177073360f2728e6.png

192624674_WBAY8.thumb.png.0f0ef051db44504204f14fc2937dfb59.png

1511509744_WBAY9.thumb.png.5023dc2a051ab43dee5562e043d58ba1.png

Looks good. I wasn't expecting a graphics change for WBAY, but I suppose the Media General package had to go off into history with Media General itself (are any ex-MG stations still using them??). If I had to nitpick.....

1) The 7-day needs some rescaling; their logo bug covers the temp on the final day (not seen in the grab above).

2) The typeface choice for the talent bumpers (Myriad, I believe?) looks a little cheap and out of place with the rest of the package.

Even though this is the graphics subforum, I do want to note that they're still using the same old EWN NG cuts.

I would agree that the Scripps package at WGBA is probably the best in this market, but then again, the other stations have a whole lot of white in their packages (with WFRV and WBAY throwing in a lot of blue, and WLUK throwing in a lot of red). With this new package, WBAY caught up quite a bit.

First, I'm really glad that they're sticking with the ol' 'circle 2' instead of going with some Microsoft WordArt created mediocrity like Gray seems to specialize in. I had noticed over the last few weeks they had been experimenting with the placement of the ABC ball in relation to the '2'; thankfully the left side they've had for years won out over the top left they experimented with in the bug.

Otherwise, looks good, the weather graphics really didn't have to change that much, and I would not expect them to change the music, so that's fine with me; it will take awhile to get used to graphics with motion in and out of teases. And someone get the station updated duratrans with the current logo and news text, along with the front desk decal still with the 'HD' branding.

The new question becomes now if the 2.2 weather channel stays with the new graphics (it runs off a second computer so they still have the MG package on there), or it gets discarded for something else (though with Scripps in-market with MeTV and Katz, Nexstar/WFRV with Bounce and Sinclair with their channels, it's literal thin pickings). I hope they stick with the weather.

The new question becomes now if the 2.2 weather channel stays with the new graphics (it runs off a second computer so they still have the MG package on there), or it gets discarded for something else

I seem to recall that it took long enough for them to get 2.2 updated to the MG package (or was it the first-gen Young HD package before it??)......I wouldn't hold my breath. Besides, the sponsor tags are still based around the Young HD scheme!

I seem to recall that it took long enough for them to get 2.2 updated to the MG package (or was it the first-gen Young HD package before it??)......I wouldn't hold my breath. Besides, the sponsor tags are still based around the Young HD scheme!

Definitely the Young HD package; it was never updated for the MG version.

1) The 7-day needs some rescaling; their logo bug covers the temp on the final day (not seen in the grab above).

Just take the bug down during weather. Problem solved. The branding is still there, just at the top.

The upper banner resembles the one ABC News' weather gfx use, particularly the news variant first pictured. The bug is...odd with the time/temp.

Just take the bug down during weather. Problem solved. The branding is still there, just at the top

It is worth noting that the 7-day page did get fixed. Not a problem now.

The upper banner resembles the one ABC News' weather gfx use, particularly the news variant first pictured. The bug is...odd with the time/temp.

I'm glad I'm not alone in thinking this package looked like something ABC would use at the network level.

WTEN and WLNS at least say hi.

WSPA has an updated look of the ex-MG but still uses the same font...

WATE in Knoxville has it as well

The bug is...odd with the time/temp.

The MG graphics package had a morning bug with time/temp and afternoon/evening bug without (thus the experimentation with the ABC logo placement I mentioned earlier); I figure they'll be back to two bugs within a week or two.

those are underwhelming, and i hate talent opens that don't include the sports and weather people. What, are they not important? Are they not a part of the team?

Weather and sports folks get their own intro/outros with 'sponsored by' tags; nothing meant against them at all, but both departments have their own sponsorships. It also makes it easier if someone is off for the day to throw their substitute's intro in.

I don't get those who don't like the graphics, this is actually one of the Gray Graphics Hub's better packages compared to the stuff they usually churn out.

It looks like the Gray WI stations are all using a special united graphics package for Election Night; same tickers and bottom thirds on WBAY, WEAU, WSAW and WMTV.

(other photos snipped)

[ATTACH=full]6341[/ATTACH]

I've been liking the election package.....except for the Helvetica headline typeface in this graphic. Sticking with the bold condensed type (was that Helvetica too?) would've been better.

Might be like what Nexstar is doing...

(images snipped)

Yep. WFRV has that package too.

I've been liking the election package.....except for the Helvetica headline typeface in this graphic. Sticking with the bold condensed type (was that Helvetica too?) would've been better.

That's Helvetica.

What's worth noting is that for weather, they're not using Proxima Nova—instead, I think it's the ABC network typeface. The cuts in some characters (T especially) don't make it the greatest typeface for long text stretches.

Archived