KTVU getting a New Set

SFTV

KTVU is back upstairs for The Nine after a year and a few months hiatus broadcasting in the newsroom and this is what we waited for? An updated desk?

Via Pam Cooks InstaSnap

CFA01152-3_AFF-4_D0_D-9550-9_C5_D6_DCD39_DA.png

Whoever designed that desk needs an award and a lot of money, very clever incorporating the laser 2 into the design.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the noon news. Looks like they moved the studio area into corner with a more permanent-looking floor. It wouldn't surprise me if they also walled it off from what's left of the sales department. Weather looks like it's still being done from the studio downstairs, and I'm guessing it'll stay that way.

42247544480_efffd749cd_h.jpg

42247539910_713608305c_h.jpg

42247542240_5332953cfb_h.jpg

42247543440_2b0023cc50_h.jpg

29119576207_dd081d1c3f_h.jpg

The upstairs may not have had all the facilities they may have needed. I don’t watch them enough so I don’t know the production style or what’s there.

From what's visible in that IG story still frame, it does look like they did quite a bit more work to the upper level area to turn it into a legit studio space. The original set up there with the surfboard desk was pretty temporary, with just some lighting trusses on floor stands and hard flooring placed over the original carpet. And it was surrounded by empty cubicles since Fox laid off most of the support staff that worked up there.

Looks like they ripped out the original drop ceiling and put in an actual lighting grid, probably with some significant electrical/wiring upgrades along the way. Probably doesn't take a year to build, but as with any project timelines likely slipped and they had already moved the surfboard desk into the newsroom, so might as well keep it down there.

New desk looks cool - love the laser 2 incorporated into the front of it.

Also for the desk look at the wire “supports” I doubt they do anything for the desk but I assume they’re there a nod to the Golden Gate Bridge and the San Francisco Bay Bridge.

It does have hints of the Bay Bridge cables but it also screams KDVR / WFXT 2.0 desk plex design with the laser 2 slapped on lol.

Looks like “The Four” (4pm) graphics are now being used as the title cards for the Noon Newscast monitors.

Cool desk - nice they're getting the heritage in there.

Wish they could cover the base of those monitor stands - looks cheap. Otherwise it's a great setup that makes the talent and brand pop without a lot of distraction.

Now bring back the "there's only one two" theme they were trying to bring back before News Corp bought them.

Everyone acting like nothing happened couldn't be farther off the mark... Let's look back on what the old setup looked like...

Sal_s_mom_on_KTVU_The_9_0_443563_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

LYFE-Kitchen-KTVU.jpg

They've expanded the "studio" dramatically, not only increasing the size but actually gutted and rebuilt it as a proper studio. They raised the ceiling and installed a proper lighting grid, brought in fully robotic cameras, and all the infrastructure that goes with those things. Not a quick, easy, or cheap task.

It also looks like there's a new row of (probably bulletproof) glass between the windows and studio space, similar to how some streetside studios are set up. This also helps muffle outside sound from getting in.

The old set feels a lot more temporary (that second pic has an orange extension cord in the lighting truss... which isn't even acceptable in temporary trussing structures for weddings at the Holiday Inn) than this one does... I'm sure they'll add to it as time goes on.

The whole set feels really sparse and temporary. Like they're staging out of an office building during an emergency event.

Well, it *is* built in former office space, so... once an office space, always an office space. That being said, this looks pretty good for an office space to studio conversion. I don't totally disagree though—the monitor stands look cheap, especially that one in the middle of the two-shot.

Just tuned into the 6:00pm show and they're back in the tiny temporary set. I find it curious they're not using this new upstairs set for everything until the new set in Studio A is complete, but the sun angle might be challenging in the evening hours. The corner of that space is looking roughly southwest, so it could likely be overly backlit at sunset. The 7:00pm KICU show was typically done from this spot, so maybe they'll be in there again later tonight.

Well, it *is* built in former office space, so... once an office space, always an office space. That being said, this looks pretty good for an office space to studio conversion. I don't totally disagree though—the monitor stands look cheap, especially that one in the middle of the two-shot.

Just tuned into the 6:00pm show and they're back in the tiny temporary set. I find it curious they're not using this new upstairs set for everything until the new set in Studio A is complete, but the sun angle might be challenging in the evening hours. The corner of that space is looking roughly southwest, so it could likely be overly backlit at sunset. The 7:00pm KICU show was typically done from this spot, so maybe they'll be in there again later tonight.

7pm is back downstairs. I remember those sunsets. They need a sunshade or save the current Golden Gate Bridge backdrop like KNSD used to do by using a city backdrop to cover the window during the evening newscasts

From the noon news. Looks like they moved the studio area into corner with a more permanent-looking floor. It wouldn't surprise me if they also walled it off from what's left of the sales department. Weather looks like it's still being done from the studio downstairs, and I'm guessing it'll stay that way.

42247544480_efffd749cd_h.jpg

42247539910_713608305c_h.jpg

42247542240_5332953cfb_h.jpg

42247543440_2b0023cc50_h.jpg

29119576207_dd081d1c3f_h.jpg

Cool!

It is amazing WNYW and KDFW still have it . I think WJW, WNYW, and KDFW are the only ones left with them. WJW had their O&O set installed in late spring of 2007 debuted on Monday July 16th, 2007. Sadly I remember that day because I started a new job. As far as KTVU that set was installed in 2006 with HD launch and had some updates along the way.

...and with WJW in ownership limbo right now, it's a dogfight between them and WNYW as to which set will last longer.

• 2 months later...

The Tegna rip is obvious, but it wouldn't be so bad if everything matched. Frankly, after seeing a lot of their work, I think KTVU's creative department should be pegged with the task of a new group-wide package. Everyone needs a top to bottom redesign.

Archived