2018 NFL Season

Viper550

The NFL unveiled a logo for its centennial celebration next year, and its quite dull. They honestly put more effort into their "let's make everything gold for Super Bowl 50" campaign than this.

The Bears will also hold their own commemorations, and their logo for it is just a recolor of said NFL 100 logo.

NFL's 75th anniversary logo was way better than this.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In OKC, KWTV will show the Browns' next 2 games, Ravens & Chargers, featuring Baker Mayfield!

Meanwhile, KOKH had to address the reason why they had to show the Cowboys and not the Browns in Week 4.

Pretty simple the Browns game conflicted with that of the Cowboys and KOKH has been the Oklahoma City TV Home of the Dallas Cowboys for as long as the NFL has been on Fox and do you really think KOKH would abandon a loyalty that dates back 25 seasons over a team that features a Quarterback that only played 4 years at Oklahoma? Yeah that's what I thought, KOKH did the right thing by showing the Cowboys over the Browns

After reading the article, viewers need to go contact the NFL about that issue as the stations' hands are CLEARLY tied and they can't really do anything about it

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2018 at 9:30 PM, oknewsguy said:

Pretty simple the Browns game conflicted with that of the Cowboys and KOKH has been the Oklahoma City TV Home of the Dallas Cowboys for as long as the NFL has been on Fox and do you really think KOKH would abandon a loyalty that dates back 25 seasons over a team that features a Quarterback that only played 4 years at Oklahoma? Yeah that's what I thought, KOKH did the right thing by showing the Cowboys over the Browns

After reading the article, viewers need to go contact the NFL about that issue as the stations' hands are CLEARLY tied and they can't really do anything about it

Yeah right why would they do that? it wouldn't make sense. Oklahoma City was/is a Cowboys market.

Speaking of the Cowboys, i'm assuming Buck/ Aikman will do the Eagles game next week.  The other games at 4:25, PIT @ OAK and DET @ AZ aren't really must see TV. They've got Tim Brando and Brady Quinn on the Lions/Cardinals game.

• 2 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, danderson500 said:

Any reason why Fox didn't use Kevin Burkhardt and  Charles Davis for the Browns-Broncos game or Chris Myers and Daryl Johnston for the Texans-Jets game?

Because even though the graphics are Fox's, today's games were NFL Network productions. Each of the NFL's broadcast partners were represented in the booths today, except for ESPN.

1 hour ago, justin2kx said:

A fascinating oral history to FOX winning the NFC rights and changed Football, if not, Television Forever, 25 years ago today

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/12/13/18137938/nfl-fox-deal-rupert-murdoch-1993-john-madden-terry-bradshaw-howie-long-jimmy-johnson-cbs-nbc

Thoughts?

The New World at 20 series would be a great complement to that article.

Is it too soon, let alone allowed, to discuss potential Wild Card scheduling? I have a feeling NBC will take up the Cowboys-Seahawks game for sure, leaving Fox with the other NFC game and then ESPN/ABC and CBS split AFC Wild Card matchups.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of notes from ESPN/ABC's Wild Card coverage today.

• Booger McFarland is off his on-field perch, and in the booth with Tessitore and Whitten, likely a test for next season.
  • ABC will both simulcast the Pro Bowl with ESPN, and will also have their NFL Draft coverage, in addition to the cable programming. Not sure about the Pro Bowl, but that draft night arrangement is brand new.
  • I've watched enough Monday Night Football this year to say that I'm pretty sure this minimalist scoreboard is new for today's game. Only shown like this during a kick-off or coming out of break, it leaves the right corner empty for the affiliate logo. The outer wings showing the network logo and down indicator fills in once the drive begins, like normal...

615392269_bandicam2019-01-0515-47-18-735.thumb.png.98c61d8a902f05ab3b7498e8a5a4c4ab.png

15 minutes ago, 24994J said:

• Booger McFarland is off his on-field perch, and in the booth with Tessitore and Whitten, likely a test for next season.
  • ABC will both simulcast the Pro Bowl with ESPN, and will also have their NFL Draft coverage, in addition to the cable programming. Not sure about the Pro Bowl, but that draft night arrangement appears to be new.
  • I've watched enough Monday Night Football this year to say that I'm pretty sure this minimalist scoreboard is new for today's game. Only shown like this during a kick-off, the outer wings showing the network logo and down indicator fills in once the drive begins, like normal...

615392269_bandicam2019-01-0515-47-18-735.thumb.png.98c61d8a902f05ab3b7498e8a5a4c4ab.png

I think we'll see ESPN go to a minimalistic scorebug without the ESPN logo on it (and you might as well do that because to my knowledge, all of the sports not named the NFL don't have the ESPN logo on the scorebug anymore) I hope they DO retool the booth after seeing reports that the booth  people just isn't that good. Although I'll add that I like Joe Tessitore but he belongs to College Football, Booger is fine in the booth and Jason Whitten (as much as I liked him as a player in Dallas) he needs to be the studio analyst

1 hour ago, oknewsguy said:

I think we'll see ESPN go to a minimalistic scorebug without the ESPN logo on it (and you might as well do that because to my knowledge, all of the sports not named the NFL don't have the ESPN logo on the scorebug anymore) I hope they DO retool the booth after seeing reports that the booth  people just isn't that good. Although I'll add that I like Joe Tessitore but he belongs to College Football, Booger is fine in the booth and Jason Whitten (as much as I liked him as a player in Dallas) he needs to be the studio analyst

If ESPN keeps the scoreboard for next year after all, it would offer some kind of unification between their NBA/CBB looks.  When I flipped it on, that's honestly what I thought they'd do.

6 minutes ago, Northerner said:

If ESPN keeps the scoreboard for next year after all, it would offer some kind of unification between their NBA/CBB looks.  When I flipped it on, that's honestly what I thought they'd do.

I'd be curious as to whether or not CBS debuts the new graphics. However, I could see the trend that NBC started last year and make the new graphics exclusive to NFL but keep the existing graphics for everything else carry over to CBS

2 hours ago, 24994J said:

• ABC will both simulcast the Pro Bowl with ESPN, and will also have their NFL Draft coverage, in addition to the cable programming. Not sure about the Pro Bowl, but that draft night arrangement is brand new.
  • I've watched enough Monday Night Football this year to say that I'm pretty sure this minimalist scoreboard is new for today's game. Only shown like this during a kick-off or coming out of break, it leaves the right corner empty for the affiliate logo. The outer wings showing the network logo and down indicator fills in once the drive begins, like normal...

I like the new minimalist design for the new MNF scoreboard. I could see ESPN probably joining the club and putting an MNF bug on the top right corner as well.

The Round 1 NFL Draft simulcast with ABC is clearly a response to the Fox/NFLN draft night arrangement, although ABC did simulcast the later rounds on a Saturday afternoon last year.

Related note: on Monday night's College Football Playoff National Championship, the Coaches Film Room portion of the Megacast will turn into the MNF Film Room with Tessitore, Witten, and McFarland.

10 hours ago, oknewsguy said:

I'd be curious as to whether or not CBS debuts the new graphics. However, I could see the trend that NBC started last year and make the new graphics exclusive to NFL but keep the existing graphics for everything else carry over to CBS

I think it's too early.  Maybe they change the colouring a bit - something related to the SuperBowl colours maybe.  But I think NBC might be the only broadcast network to keep a separate look for the NFL (albeit a great one that should've been expanded to all their properties).

14 hours ago, Northerner said:

I think it's too early.  Maybe they change the colouring a bit - something related to the SuperBowl colours maybe.  But I think NBC might be the only broadcast network to keep a separate look for the NFL (albeit a great one that should've been expanded to all their properties).

We'll know more by the Super Bowl if CBS debuts the new graphics package or not. Although the current graphics have aged pretty well IMO

1 hour ago, oknewsguy said:

We'll know more by the Super Bowl if CBS debuts the new graphics package or not. Although the current graphics have aged pretty well IMO

They are lightyears ahead of where they were pre-SB50.  Then everyone updated (or in ESPN's case, went everywhere)!

At this time, I'd love to see a Sportsnet refresh - they're not too 3D but could use an update.  What they do on Tim & Sid is what should be across the network/HNIC.

35 minutes ago, Northerner said:

They are lightyears ahead of where they were pre-SB50.  Then everyone updated (or in ESPN's case, went everywhere)!

At this time, I'd love to see a Sportsnet refresh - they're not too 3D but could use an update.  What they do on Tim & Sid is what should be across the network/HNIC.

Although (as much as I'm a fan of CBS Sports HQ) I think they could use some sort of a refresh for CBS' Super Bowl LIII Coverage. Other than that, leave everything else alone

Archived