CBS Television Stations launching CBSN Local streaming services modeled after CBSN

AKA

WFOR is saying the 'studio is offline' today and tonight...so there are no local newscasts this evening (they aired a repeat of the CBS Weekend News at 11). Perhaps because of their small studio, launching CBSN Miami literally requires a shutdown to get it ready?

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, mrschimpf said:

WFOR is saying the 'studio is offline' today and tonight...so there are no local newscasts this evening (they aired a repeat of the CBS Weekend News at 11). Perhaps because of their small studio, launching CBSN Miami literally requires a shutdown to get it ready?

Did they even say they were going to launch CBSN Miami? I see them promoting a new app. But not CBSN Miami.

It's a hell of a day they chose for a "major maintenance project," because Miami weather was hellacious on Saturday.

As for if CBSN Miami had anything to do with this, I'm thinking barely maybe. I have little faith in CBS getting their act together, so if we entertained the thought of them really needing to go down just to set up: why would such an extreme move be necessary? I don't think any of the other stations with CBSN had to go through that. I'll stand corrected if it happens otherwise. But they also haven't changed the weather graphics yet, one of the biggest indicators of something that is imminently happening. So IMO this can't be it. As for it actually launching one day, definitely; there's a Digital Line Producer out there I stumbled upon on Twitter, and the new GM was announced with a statement that included "CBSN Miami" as one of the station's future properties. (Also, for the Miami folks, something that I think no one has brought up yet is NBC 6's Keith Jones has moved to CBS 4. Recent new hires like Keith & Bobeth makes sense after numerous departures, including most recently Ty Russell.)

As for progress on CBSN overall: ViacomCBS has been posting numerous job listings in recent weeks for producers in the Bay Area, Philly, Minneapolis, and Sacramento, to name a few. They're definitely looking to resume operations now that 2021 seems to be boding well for the economy. And lastly, not saying that the stock market is directly correlated to success, but ViacomCBS' stock has really been doing gangbusters, so they really have little excuse to be slacking or cutting back on their O&Os this year. 

• 3 months later...
On 3/7/2021 at 4:36 AM, Roadrunner said:

(Also, for the Miami folks, something that I think no one has brought up yet is NBC 6's Keith Jones has moved to CBS 4. Recent new hires like Keith & Bobeth makes sense after numerous departures, including most recently Ty Russell.)

Wait, so he went from being 4pm/5:30pm anchor at a better station to a worse station doing weekend mornings?

20 hours ago, TVNewsLover said:

Wait, so he went from being 4pm/5:30pm anchor at a better station to a worse station doing weekend mornings?

I can't pass judgment on his career decisions, but who knows; maybe CBS was willing to pay a (relatively speaking) handsome sum to poach him. 

As for the 4-5:30 spot, he hadn't been in that slot for a while before leaving NBC. He was doing haphazard weekend morning slots or evening slots, and maybe a live shot here and there (at least, I think these were his roles). Methinks NBC was clearly favoring Carlos and Alina et al in those slots, though, so he probably saw the way the wind was blowing. We also know WFOR loves talent from other stations so they just went with the hiring methods they knew, and maybe he knew could finally settle with a firmer schedule.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

CBS will begin to phase out the CBSN name later this year, rebranding its streaming news service as CBS News. As a result, the local versions will be renamed CBS News New York, CBS News Denver, etc.

So at this point, I'd say don't expect the Miami version until after the rebrand occurs.

1 hour ago, GodfreyGR said:

Wishful thinking that if a new studio and likely graphics launch on the national stream, we will see new graphics finally trickle down to the O&O's? If end of the year is the goal, it would be a great Christmas present for all of us!

It's likely. Any new graphics would likely involve TT Norms and the Eyemark.

2 hours ago, TVNewzer said:

diminishing or dropping channel identifiers in branding

No way that will become the new CBS Mandate for all the O&O's. Some markets it might work... Denver? Probably. Chicago? Anything's worth a shot at WBBM at this point... but KCBS tried the "NewsCentral" disaster, and then you have properties that are known by their calls (example, no one here in MN says "CBS 4". It's "WCCO"- just like when the websites became CBS____.com, here it stayed "wcco.com" on air)

37 minutes ago, GodfreyGR said:

No way that will become the new CBS Mandate for all the O&O's. Some markets it might work... Denver? Probably. Chicago? Anything's worth a shot at WBBM at this point... but KCBS tried the "NewsCentral" disaster, and then you have properties that are known by their calls (example, no one here in MN says "CBS 4". It's "WCCO"- just like when the websites became CBS____.com, here it stayed "wcco.com" on air)

The "CBS(Market)" web domains have set in motion such a rebranding move for more than a decade. Never underestimate a major corporation's ability to mess around with anything and everything. Besides, we're talking about some long-tarnished stations. All bets are off.

3 hours ago, TVNewzer said:

Calling it here first: the CBS O&Os will take on this new identity as well, diminishing or dropping channel identifiers in branding.

(KYW=CBS News Philly)

I kinda like this; but if/when it happens, it's gonna suck to see an iconic, storied brand like Eyewitness News disappear from that station.

1 hour ago, GodfreyGR said:

Same thing with KDKA. it has always been KDKA 2 /KDKA News and never CBS 2, it will be very awkward to say CBS News Pittsburgh.

39 minutes ago, newscopter7 said:

It never seems to change with CBS—a new exec, “brand new” ideas, a new direction every couple of years. Does anything ever get a chance to work? 

When you have CBS claiming to be "America's Most Watched Network" for more than a decade (mostly due its primetime programs, live sports telecasts such as the NFL, NCAA and others, along with Sunday Morning and 60 Minutes, which still remains the highest rated shows on those time slots) its morning and evening newscasts has still not have dug out of its big "third place hole" despite plenty of changes over the years.

CBS seems to be on the path to an all-digital future.  I think WHEN the major networks decide to leave broadcast behind, CBS could be the first to pull the trigger.

They've always been the stingiest when it comes to making their entertainment content available (CBS Access and now Paramount+)  The digital push to news is another one, given their adoption of the local OTT networks based from their O&Os.  How long do the affiliate contracts go out to their affiliated stations?

On 9/23/2021 at 12:58 PM, 24994J said:

The "CBS(Market)" web domains have set in motion such a rebranding move for more than a decade. Never underestimate a major corporation's ability to mess around with anything and everything. Besides, we're talking about some long-tarnished stations. All bets are off.

I really doubt that'll happen. Wendy McMahon, the new head of CBS TV Stations, was the creative services director at WBZ years ago when the station switched from CBS4 back to the callsign branding and a heavy local emphasis.

3 hours ago, C Block said:

I really doubt that'll happen. Wendy McMahon, the new head of CBS TV Stations, was the creative services director at WBZ years ago when the station switched from CBS4 back to the callsign branding and a heavy local emphasis.

And, prior to that, was CSD at WCCO during their successful run at emphasizing the local brand.

7 hours ago, C Block said:

Also to be mentioned was the CBS(city) root was put into place before CBS Radio was sold off to Audacy, yet because of the name/Eyemark licensing situation, they now have a bunch of non-sensical domains that still are live and have content, when they should have been wound down post-Audacy. So we have oddball situations like CBSTampa.com, where CBS no longer has stations outside WTOG, a CW affiliate, and they sold off CBSAtlanta.com to Meredith for a WGCL redirect once they cleared out (WUPA thankfully exists on CWAtlanta.com). CBSLasVegas.com somehow still exists and just feeds KCBS/KCAL content to an audience of no-one. The same with CBSStLouis, and CBSCleveland.

This is why Nexstar's 'weird region name', IBS's 'city channel' for McGraw Hill and Hearst and CBS's refusal to just use call letters for websites doesn't make sense; call letters rarely change, but ownership can, and it's been proven over time that doing that type of branding can be troublesome if circumstances change.

(NBC does, but at least their radio presence was never in the Internet age and they remain limited, and ABC wised up with ditching Go.com domains once social media knocked down their standing and they began to just use call-letter domains.)

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/26/2021 at 7:33 PM, mrschimpf said:

Also to be mentioned was the CBS(city) root was put into place before CBS Radio was sold off to Audacy, yet because of the name/Eyemark licensing situation, they now have a bunch of non-sensical domains that still are live and have content, when they should have been wound down post-Audacy. So we have oddball situations like CBSTampa.com, where CBS no longer has stations outside WTOG, a CW affiliate, and they sold off CBSAtlanta.com to Meredith for a WGCL redirect once they cleared out (WUPA thankfully exists on CWAtlanta.com). CBSLasVegas.com somehow still exists and just feeds KCBS/KCAL content to an audience of no-one. The same with CBSStLouis, and CBSCleveland.

The LV, St. Louis, and Cleveland sites now redirect to CBSNews.com. CBSSeattle.com still exists, despite the station group only owning KSTW, a CW station.

Archived