CBS Television Stations launching CBSN Local streaming services modeled after CBSN

AKA

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

The 11am newscast yesterday was also done from here and used the CBSN Local graphics. 

It looks like the 11am newscast is using the CBSN branding, according to on-line listings...  

I guess they’re trying to get folks familiar with CBSN DFW, yet keeping the CBS11 branding for most newscasts.

Jim

6 hours ago, PhillyWatch said:

But for KYW, still just a dream altogether... 🙄

Same with KDKA. But I think a set for CBSN Pittsburgh is coming sooner rather than later. At least I hope so lol. 

16 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

Here's a look at most of the CBSN DFW set. The 11am newscast yesterday was also done from here and used the CBSN Local graphics. 

Screenshot_20200519-041859_Chrome.jpg

Reminds me straight of the CBSN New York set. Except their's no people behind The CBS-eye designed Plexi glass. I will say this the Dallas TV stations always tries to be New York sometimes no originally it's stupid.

• 1 month later...

It was mentioned earlier before that KOVR was near completion, but I don't think this article was shared:

https://thedesk.matthewkeys.net/2020/06/cbsn-sacramento-launch-cbs-news-kovr-kmax-good-day/

As of June 15, CBSN Sacramento is scheduled to launch in the first half of July.

Of course, CBS is in no position to really make CBSN's promises happen right now and the article also makes it clear that "off-peak hours" will all stream the national feed so,.....basically CBSN Chicago soft launch part 2?

image.png.300f10d9a8aec479ca8bfbfb70830e31.png

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/2/2020 at 2:36 AM, Roadrunner said:

It was mentioned earlier before that KOVR was near completion, but I don't think this article was shared:

https://thedesk.matthewkeys.net/2020/06/cbsn-sacramento-launch-cbs-news-kovr-kmax-good-day/

As of June 15, CBSN Sacramento is scheduled to launch in the first half of July.

Of course, CBS is in no position to really make CBSN's promises happen right now and the article also makes it clear that "off-peak hours" will all stream the national feed so,.....basically CBSN Chicago soft launch part 2?

image.png.300f10d9a8aec479ca8bfbfb70830e31.png

No launch yet. I wouldn't be surprised if CBSN Miami ends up being the last one to launch, considering WFOR has consistely been one of CBS' weakest stations.

2 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

No launch yet. I wouldn't be surprised if CBSN Miami ends up being the last one to launch, considering WFOR has consistely been one of CBS' weakest stations.

Posts in this thread have shown that the clue to a launch happening "soon" (at least, figuratively) are a change in on-air graphics, with new weather graphics in particular. WJZ and WFOR haven't even moved over yet, so I don't expect them to launch their CBSNs any time soon either (not that they couldn't pull a fast one either, but I would assume they wouldn't?). As for KOVR, they really only have one one week left this month to at least launch in July, but...I'm not holding my breath, especially considering how lowkey the operation will reportedly be anyways.

KPIX mostly shows chopper footage with no audio during breaking news other than that it’s mostly reruns of its newscasts now.

i haven’t seen any CBSN feeds lately on KPIX

KBCW replaced the 10pm CBSN Bay Area with a full hour Two and a Half Men 

• 3 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, newsbot said:

Looks like all the CBSN Local sites that typically simulcast or rebroadcast local newscasts are broken; they're all carrying the national feed with no local content whatsoever.

The CBSN Locals typically simulcast CBSN National on the weekends. 

18 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

The CBSN Locals typically simulcast CBSN National on the weekends. 

Depends on the market; for example, CBSN Boston was airing the local newscasts on weekends up until now. No banner at the top saying that CBSN Boston would resume on Monday as with the CBSN Local sites that weren't carrying weekend newscasts to begin with. Could be a budgetary issue or possibly technical. Edit: The Los Angeles and Bay Area CBSNs are still running local news. Could be budgetary after all. Edit 8/16 WBZ news is back on CBSN Boston as of the 6:30PM Sunday newscast. Could have been a technical issue. Who knows?

2 hours ago, Webovision said:

of course it costs money... everything costs money...

trying to get sales to sell spots nobody wants ain't free.

time and money spent trying to sell local spots nobody wants to buy...

bad investments!!!

Sounds like sales needs to get more creative then... It is much easier to track viewer metrics and trends with the streaming/app than with the OTA signal which means pitching the demographics to the right advertisers is easier than ever. Start by offering it as added value to a package to sweeten a deal (especially in markets where CBS doesn't have the ratings advantage for a sale [read: Chicago]) and readjust if and when things take off...

Once again CBSN Boston isn't airing Saturday news simulcasts. Not sure why they'd blow off just one day's worth of local news simulcasts instead of just taking the weekend off. If this weekend continues the pattern the simulcasts will return tomorrow. Weird. This Saturday they're not evey running the national CBSN feed - just a continuous animated loop of "You're Watching CBSN Boston"

3 hours ago, newsbot said:

Once again CBSN Boston isn't airing Saturday news simulcasts. Not sure why they'd blow off just one day's worth of local news simulcasts instead of just taking the weekend off. If this weekend continues the pattern the simulcasts will return tomorrow. Weird. This Saturday they're not evey running the national CBSN feed - just a continuous animated loop of "You're Watching CBSN Boston"

I've also encountered this problem with WBZ's weekend newscasts on CBSN before and I've just chalked it up to just some glitch that someone in the control room might not be aware of or that there is no manpower dedicated to weekend CBSN operations (if this is actually the case, it's likely an unfortunate consequence of their budget cuts, considering that WBZ had the more consistent CBSN operations of the ones with the service anyways). But then again, WBZ This Morning did air on Saturday morning, so...it's just inconsistent. The problem is replicated across almost all CBSNs, which basically don't stream weekend ops, and it's really disappointing / actually kind of depressing considering these are CBS-owned. Speaks to how local news is & isn't valued by corporations & society alike. 

• 2 months later...

Pluto TV is now making all ten CBS Local services available nationwide. Previously, users could only access CBSN New York and CBSN Los Angeles, while the other eight services were geolocked to their respective markets due to limited channel space allocated to Pluto's news tier.

To make room for the Chicago, Bay Area, Philadelphia, Dallas-Fort Worth, Boston, Denver, Minnesota and Pittsburgh services, Pluto created a dedicated "Local" tier, currently occupying channels 1021-1031 (with 1028 unused, given CBSTVS hasn't launched CBSN services in Baltimore, Sacramento and Miami yet). Unlike other Pluto channels, the CBSN Local services are running local ads and promos for the parent CBSTVS outlets outside of their home markets.

Speaking of CBSN, looks like the producers at KDKA are pushing to unionize, with CBSN mentioned in the release. As far as I know, they’ve been running a bare bones operation since the launch and the last round of Viacom cuts: 

• 1 month later...
On 12/17/2020 at 9:20 PM, mooneyhill1 said:

What happened to WCBS-TV's weekend morning newscasts & weekend evening newscasts streaming on CBSN New York?

It's an operations or staffing issue brought on by the pandemic. Or someone else with more expertise can chime in, but CBSN Local operations are basically a skeleton right now that prioritize primarily (or only) weekday newscasts, unless it's CBSN LA, for example.

--------------

Unrelated, but this is good to hear for CBSN: "CBSN Thrives On 2020 News Explosion, Reaching 1 Billion Streams, Tripling Its 2019 Viewership" 

https://deadline.com/2020/12/cbsn-streaming-cbs-news-2020-covid-19-1234660980/

Encouraging to read. But CBSN is still dead right now. And 3 stations still need it. And most stations still need the structure/space to live up to the idea's promise. So this whole thing is really still very beta-esque right now. ☹️ Awaiting to see if/how they'll rebound in the spring/summer with the vaccine now.

11 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

It's an operations or staffing issue brought on by the pandemic. Or someone else with more expertise can chime in, but CBSN Local operations are basically a skeleton right now that prioritize primarily (or only) weekday newscasts, unless it's CBSN LA, for example.

--------------

Unrelated, but this is good to hear for CBSN: "CBSN Thrives On 2020 News Explosion, Reaching 1 Billion Streams, Tripling Its 2019 Viewership" 

https://deadline.com/2020/12/cbsn-streaming-cbs-news-2020-covid-19-1234660980/

Encouraging to read. But CBSN is still dead right now. And 3 stations still need it. And most stations still need the structure/space to live up to the idea's promise. So this whole thing is really still very beta-esque right now. ☹️ Awaiting to see if/how they'll rebound in the spring/summer with the vaccine now.

KCNC recycled it's former Master Control room for CBSN. They will not be getting a new building even though they are completely cramped on space.

• 1 month later...

Archived