CBS Television Stations launching CBSN Local streaming services modeled after CBSN

AKA

On 2/20/2020 at 7:47 AM, Spintech33 said:

Congratulations to CBSN Denver. Weird that it's a Wednesday launch. Probably, for the Democratic primary in neighboring Nevada.. 

CBS O&O's left to launch CBSN:  Pittsburgh (I believe either today or early next week), Baltimore, DFW, Chicago and Sacramento.  

What about CBSN Miami? Maybe I missed its launch, but is there no plans for that?

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, nbc4ne said:

What about CBSN Miami? Maybe I missed its launch, but is there no plans for that?

Where exactly would they put the setup for CBSN Miami? WFOR's main studio is relatively small to begin with, and I can't imagine they have adequate space available for an OTT operation.

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 4:45 PM, ddaniels20 said:

They don't have any original newscasts, their half-hour newscasts are looped at the second half-hour, no dedicates set, not to mention they don't run at all on the weekends, just running a simulcast of the national CBSN feed.

That's how all of the CBSN's starting launching- no weekend newscasts and returning Monday at 4:30AM.  It's going to take time for them to even produce their own newscasts and be on weekends.

However, not all of the O&O's function like CBSN New York, CBSN LA, CBSN Bay Area and CBSN Boston which produce their newscasts and are live several times a day, loop their weekend newscasts and have some form of original content.

26 minutes ago, Spintech33 said:

That's how all of the CBSN's starting launching- no weekend newscasts and returning Monday at 4:30AM.  It's going to take time for them to even produce their own newscasts and be on weekends.

I see. Apologies for not knowing that.

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2020 at 3:27 AM, TennTV1983 said:

Where exactly would they put the setup for CBSN Miami? WFOR's main studio is relatively small to begin with, and I can't imagine they have adequate space available for an OTT operation.

I feel WFOR has the same issue as WJZ- Baltimore with inadequate studio space. This was discussed briefly a while ago with regards to WJZ's layout.  WFOR & WJZ would essentially be last to launch. CBSN Pittsburgh is on track for a launch VERY SOON. CBSN Chicago is up next after Pittsburgh with an expected mid-to late March launch.  Haven't heard too many rumblings about CBSN Sacramento since Super Tuesday is 3/3/20

2 hours ago, Spintech33 said:

I feel WFOR has the same issue as WJZ- Baltimore with inadequate studio space. This was discussed briefly a while ago with regards to WJZ's layout.  WFOR & WJZ would essentially be last to launch. CBSN Pittsburgh is on track for a launch VERY SOON. CBSN Chicago is up next after Pittsburgh with an expected mid-to late March launch.  Haven't heard too many rumblings about CBSN Sacramento since Super Tuesday is 3/3/20

CBSN Pittsburgh should probably be launching this week as the CBSN Denver press release said it would be later this month, and this is the last week of the month lol.

1 hour ago, Ryan said:

I wonder if KDKA will use the CBSN L3s and darker themes?

Those won't transfer to the on-air product. They should follow along with the rest of the other CBSNs and leave the current on-air graphics in place. 

2 hours ago, tjt24 said:

Those won't transfer to the on-air product. They should follow along with the rest of the other CBSNs and leave the current on-air graphics in place. 

The O&Os update graphics every three-to-four years, so they're due for an update this year.

Plus, they've phased in updated weather graphics, and WBBM has new teases. All the writing is on the wall.

10 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

The O&Os update graphics every three-to-four years, so they're due for an update this year.

Plus, they've phased in updated weather graphics, and WBBM has new teases. All the writing is on the wall.

Well yeah that's true. But are they going with the CBSN package though?

• 2 weeks later...

CBSN Pittsburgh has decided to do a mixture of the CBSN graphics and the CBS O&O graphics. It looks interesting, and it looks like CBSN Pittsburgh doesn't have its own set yet, so it is using the main KDKA news set.

9 hours ago, JosiahCubed said:

CBSN Pittsburgh has decided to do a mixture of the CBSN graphics and the CBS O&O graphics. It looks interesting, and it looks like CBSN Pittsburgh doesn't have its own set yet, so it is using the main KDKA news set.

That's because CBSN Pittsburgh will consist (for now, at least) only of live KDKA newscasts and reruns, like Minnesota.

16 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

That's because CBSN Pittsburgh will consist (for now, at least) only of live KDKA newscasts and reruns, like Minnesota.

And Philly. 

I'm also kind of surprised that Pittsburgh Today Live will be streamed on CBSN Pittsburgh, per the article on KDKA's website. I honestly didn't think it would be. 

7 hours ago, tjt24 said:

And Philly. 

I'm also kind of surprised that Pittsburgh Today Live will be streamed on CBSN Pittsburgh, per the article on KDKA's website. I honestly didn't think it would be. 

Well they have to further show off where Celina Pompeani is eating that day because apparently that’s what viewers care about. 

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2020 at 12:00 AM, tjt24 said:

And Philly. 

I'm watching CBSN Philly, and it's very interesting that they don't have a separate studio set up (as of yet) just for CBSN.

I also get that Philadelphia is pretty dense when it comes to finding new studio space. However, I think it would be wise enough to invest in studio space.

Some CBSN Philly observations: 2 Anchor set during AM's- Burrell & Donovan  CBSN Live 7-9AM, loops 10AM-12Noon than CBS Eyewitness News Live at 12Noon.

Also to add CBSN Philly and Pittsburgh are using regular O&O graphics for their broadcasts. One has to notice will an update to the CBSN graphics will be available soon for Philly and Pittsburgh.  They both do have weather graphics.

3 hours ago, Spintech33 said:

I'm watching CBSN Philly, and it's very interesting that they don't have a separate studio set up (as of yet) just for CBSN.

I also get that Philadelphia is pretty dense when it comes to finding new studio space. However, I think it would be wise enough to invest in studio space.

Some CBSN Philly observations: 2 Anchor set during AM's- Burrell & Donovan  CBSN Live 7-9AM, loops 10AM-12Noon than CBS Eyewitness News Live at 12Noon.

Also to add CBSN Philly and Pittsburgh are using regular O&O graphics for their broadcasts. One has to notice will an update to the CBSN graphics will be available soon for Philly and Pittsburgh.  They both do have weather graphics.

Philly has a second studio. Dunno why they didn't build a set for CBSN in there. They haven't used that space since they stopped doing the "Einstein Science" segments last year.

15 minutes ago, WCAUTVNBC10 said:

Philly has a second studio. Dunno why they didn't build a set for CBSN in there. They haven't used that space since they stopped doing the "Einstein Science" segments last year.

That studio would be perfect.. Is the 2nd studio within the main facility or is that in Downtown Philly.

Just now, Spintech33 said:

That studio would be perfect.. Is the 2nd studio within the main facility or is that in Downtown Philly.

Same building. It's literally right next to the news studio.

With 1060 now out of the building though, they could convert the space they vacated into studio space if they ever decide to move on from their now pushing 10 year old set.

Archived