CBS Television Stations launching CBSN Local streaming services modeled after CBSN

AKA

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, C Block said:

CBSN Denver launched today.

Congratulations to CBSN Denver. Weird that it's a Wednesday launch. Probably, for the Democratic primary in neighboring Nevada.. 

CBS O&O's left to launch CBSN:  Pittsburgh (I believe either today or early next week), Baltimore, DFW, Chicago and Sacramento.  

Just now, ABC 7 Denver said:

Two things about the CBSN Denver live stream. 1. The audio keeps fluttering around. It's obnoxious. I'm sure it will be fixed soon though. 2. The pill shaped anchor desk is gross. It looks super 90s and the logo on the desk isn't backlit at the very least.

Image result for CBSN Denver new set

Totally agree. That desk is NASTY. Where'd the get it? A set designer's garage sale for $5?

24 minutes ago, PhillyWatch said:

Does CBSN Philly even have a separate set? I've only ever seen repurposed newscast pieces from the main desk and breaking news additions from their sat center

Not as far as I know. Are they the only CBSN local station (so far) without a dedicated set?

11 minutes ago, 24994J said:

Meh, maybe a bit, but not as bad as Philadelphia.

I might need to download CBSN Philly.  It's really that bad in the Central part of the city.. A couple of WCBS TV alum is there in Philly.  I would think that KYW would be a bit organized and they launched about 3 weeks ago. 

1 hour ago, Spintech33 said:

I would think that KYW would be a bit organized and they launched about 3 weeks ago. 

They don't have any original newscasts, their half-hour newscasts are looped at the second half-hour, no dedicates set, not to mention they don't run at all on the weekends, just running a simulcast of the national CBSN feed.

Just had a look at CBSN Denver, and I'm not agreeing with some complaints I have read here.  From what I see, it does it's job exactly as it's supposed to and KCNC's loyal viewers are going to be impressed.  My mom, who watches KCNC the most hasn't watched it yet but I'm sure she will be in the habit on her days at home, especially if she wants to see the weather or just in general missed a newscast.

The set they are using doesn't bother me, maybe it's not as impressive as elsewhere but I seriously doubt that matters to most who would be willing to watch.  And whether or not they rushed it, it's probably a good thing they haven't yet rolled out exclusive content, with what they have right now it appears like they are re-editing newscast segments from the previous hours and for those expecting something the same quality from what they already like and just want to see news they missed from when their newscast was on, that's a good way to sell them to start and the more people on board, the more people that see the exclusive content once it's there.

I think my only complaint is that it's not called CBSN Colorado, I'm sure KCNC would have preferred that name if they could call the shot with that, but other than that I think it's looking good so far.  Just give it some time, already I can see it being something on a hotel TV in a lobby up at a mountain ski resort.

15 minutes ago, alrdenver82 said:

Just had a look at CBSN Denver, and I'm not agreeing with some complaints I have read here.  From what I see, it does it's job exactly as it's supposed to and KCNC's loyal viewers are going to be impressed.  My mom, who watches KCNC the most hasn't watched it yet but I'm sure she will be in the habit on her days at home, especially if she wants to see the weather or just in general missed a newscast.

The set they are using doesn't bother me, maybe it's not as impressive as elsewhere but I seriously doubt that matters to most who would be willing to watch.  And whether or not they rushed it, it's probably a good thing they haven't yet rolled out exclusive content, with what they have right now it appears like they are re-editing newscast segments from the previous hours and for those expecting something the same quality from what they already like and just want to see news they missed from when their newscast was on, that's a good way to sell them to start and the more people on board, the more people that see the exclusive content once it's there.

I think my only complaint is that it's not called CBSN Colorado, I'm sure KCNC would have preferred that name if they could call the shot with that, but other than that I think it's looking good so far.  Just give it some time, already I can see it being something on a hotel TV in a lobby up at a mountain ski resort.

Let me guess some of the complainers about CBSN Denver just don't like the idea of streaming (or anything to do with streaming in general)

If they were complaining about it being "CBSN Denver" instead of "CBSN Colorado" than that's understandable but if they're sitting on social media saying something to the effect of "KCNC shouldn't go to streaming" or something to that effect then yes I have a problem with those that don't think launching a digital news service is a great idea (personally I think it is a great idea)

4 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

Let me guess some of the complainers about CBSN Denver just don't like the idea of streaming (or anything to do with streaming in general)

If they were complaining about it being "CBSN Denver" instead of "CBSN Colorado" than that's understandable but if they're sitting on social media saying something to the effect of "KCNC shouldn't go to streaming" or something to that effect then yes I have a problem with those that don't think launching a digital news service is a great idea (personally I think it is a great idea)

Actually a couple of people were talking about the set they plan to use for breaking news and exclusive content, like I said I'm not bothered by it.  Plus it's not supposed to be better than the set they use for the main newscasts, it's just there to be a place for the anchor to present the content and as long as it doesn't distract from the presenter it works.  Besides, KCNC's regular viewers usually care more about the people that run the newscast than the visual appeal of their set and graphics either way.

22 minutes ago, alrdenver82 said:

Actually a couple of people were talking about the set they plan to use for breaking news and exclusive content, like I said I'm not bothered by it.  Plus it's not supposed to be better than the set they use for the main newscasts, it's just there to be a place for the anchor to present the content and as long as it doesn't distract from the presenter it works.  Besides, KCNC's regular viewers usually care more about the people that run the newscast than the visual appeal of their set and graphics either way.

Hence why the building is from 1959.

39 minutes ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

Hence why the building is from 1959.

I do have to say, I am still in the opinion that KCNC needs a new building, they could do much more with a larger facility, an older building like what they have can only be gutted out and renovated so many times.

9 minutes ago, channel2 said:

I've never been in KCNC's building. From the outside, it seems fine to me. KMGH's hulking Brutalist fortress is newer and it's hideous.

KMGH's building is from the late 1960s actually, I wouldn't call it new by any means and it's not the worst building I've seen, the Denver Art Museum I think is worse.  Of course you hate 7 so much that they could have a nicer looking building and you would still say it looks ugly.

Here we go again, with the "old building" discourse...

Let's all remember that the vast majority of programming on MSNBC, as well as NBC Nightly News and most of the late night programming on NBC, comes from a building circa 1939.

CBS Broadcast Center a building that was built to process milk. CBS Television City opened in 1952.

Unless the building is literally falling apart (RIP WBBM McClurg Ct. studios) the age of the building doesn't really matter.

(Did you know, despite having the "newest" news operation in Milwaukee, WDJT has the oldest complete building? The building they are in was originally built in the 30's as a factory, quite a few years before Journal built WTMJ's Radio City facility. WISN's facility incorporates an old stable/garage building that is believed to date back to the early 1900's, though it is only a tiny portion of the complete structure. So much for Hearst being the best, huh? With a building like that? 🙄)

4 minutes ago, Weeters said:

Here we go again, with the "old building" discourse...

Let's all remember that the vast majority of programming on MSNBC, as well as NBC Nightly News and most of the late night programming on NBC, comes from a building circa 1939.

CBS Broadcast Center a building that was built to process milk. CBS Television City opened in 1952.

Unless the building is literally falling apart (RIP WBBM McClurg Ct. studios) the age of the building doesn't really matter.

I think I didn't elucidate enough.  The problem with the KCNC building isn't it's age, but it's size. It's the smallest news station building in our market. There isn't much of a Studio B (it's about the size of a green room).  I've seen the place in person. Square-footage is at a premium. In fact, the new CBSN Denver news studio is the former KCNC master control and it isn't that deep of a room. They are playing with lighting to make it look larger than it is.

I was having this conversation the other day with a friend who works there, that I don't believe that CBS is likely to invest into their O&Os anymore than they have. I think within the next 5 years, CBS will spin off their stations to become a pure content producer owning the network and other distribution channels. The re-merger with Viacom was a first step towards that, but as this industry gets tighter and revenue shrinks, there isn't the incentive to own the 'last-mile' as content distribution has diversified.

19 hours ago, 24994J said:

Meh, maybe a bit, but not as bad as Philadelphia.

Fully agree.  My biggest complaint with the CBSN products so far, is that you don't know if it's LIVE or not.  I also think the reason why CBSN Philly is so badly executed is (and don't shoot the messenger here) is the breakup with KYW News Radio.  They were so tightly integrated in the studios at Spring Garden.  If my memory serves, KYW News Radio had 3 studios ready to go, shifting I believe at every hour.  One studio was K, Y and you guessed it W.  

Sometimes you don't know what you got til it's gone.

-- Matt

I have just noticed that CBSN Denver is currently off for the weekend, showing the national CBSN feed instead and a message saying it will resume at 4:30 am Monday when their weekday morning newscast starts.  Is it going to be a regular thing not to have news on weekends or is this just temporary until they have enough recorded news content to fill weekends with?  I know weekend news is subject to sports preemption but weekends are when more people are home and able to watch if they have nothing else, hopefully that's considered in the long term.

40 minutes ago, alrdenver82 said:

I have just noticed that CBSN Denver is currently off for the weekend, showing the national CBSN feed instead and a message saying it will resume at 4:30 am Monday when their weekday morning newscast starts.  Is it going to be a regular thing not to have news on weekends or is this just temporary until they have enough recorded news content to fill weekends with?  I know weekend news is subject to sports preemption but weekends are when more people are home and able to watch if they have nothing else, hopefully that's considered in the long term.

Well they should allow weekend news simulcasts as well. But also, every other CBSN service does that too where they just show the national feed on weekends, aside from local news simulcasts.

Archived