CBS Television Stations launching CBSN Local streaming services modeled after CBSN

AKA

2719-CA87-80-FF-4152-9-F24-3000-ED84114-KPIX is one step closer to debuting CBSN Bay Area. Here’s a sneak peek of the Newsroom Set Up compared to what they have right now which is a podium recycled from their old set in front of the control room window.

It looks like they recycled the FX Multi Purpose Desk that they also used when it was Super Bowl 50.

22-EA23-DF-D900-4-D02-BD10-F30-ECD0-C9-C

i was hoping for a overhaul of their current set going on 7 years now. They’re the only California O&O that hasn’t adapted to the current BDI Design used on KCBS and KOVR. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 10:52 PM, SFTV said:

2719-CA87-80-FF-4152-9-F24-3000-ED84114-KPIX is one step closer to debuting CBSN Bay Area. Here’s a sneak peek of the Newsroom Set Up compared to what they have right now which is a podium recycled from their old set in front of the control room window.

It looks like they recycled the FX Multi Purpose Desk that they also used when it was Super Bowl 50.

22-EA23-DF-D900-4-D02-BD10-F30-ECD0-C9-C

i was hoping for a overhaul of their current set going on 7 years now. They’re the only California O&O that hasn’t adapted to the current BDI Design used on KCBS and KOVR. 

I say December debut for CBS Bay Area.. 

Philadelphia, Sacramento and possibly Dallas-Fort Worth for 1st Quarter 2020 all others within the 2nd Quarter 2020 for primary season.

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 6:23 PM, SFTV said:

CBSN Bay Area is now Launched

Correct- per this article from TV News Check: https://tvnewscheck.com/article/241369/cbs-launches-cbsn-san-francisco-bay-area/

Article by: Mark K. Miller.

CBS Television Stations and CBS Interactive on Monday announced the launch of CBSN San Francisco Bay Area, the fourth of CBS’s 13 local direct-to-consumer streaming news services in major markets across the country.

CBSN San Francisco Bay Area features 24/7 anchored programming, coverage of live breaking news events in the region, and a library of local news content that will be available for on-demand viewing.

CBS became the first major media company to launch a local OTT news service when CBSN New York debuted in December 2018. Since then, the company has launched CBSN Los Angeles (June 2019) and CBSN Boston (September 2019).

Following Monday’s launch of CBSN San Francisco Bay Area, CBSN Minnesota is scheduled to make its debut in December. CBS says by early 2020, it plans to launch CBSN Local services in the eight remaining markets where the company has a local television news organization: Chicago, Philadelphia, Dallas-Ft. Worth, Denver, Miami, Sacramento, Pittsburgh and Baltimore.

CBSN San Francisco Bay Area’s daily lineup includes live streams of KPIX and sister station KBCW’s regularly scheduled newscasts and additional weekday one-hour newscasts at 7 a.m., 1 p.m. and 8 p.m., which are produced exclusively for the platform.

“Building on the success of our New York, Los Angeles and Boston services, we are excited to continue the rollout of our CBSN Local services with today’s launch in the San Francisco Bay Area,” said Peter Dunn, president, CBS Television Stations. “We look forward to meeting the rising demand for high-quality local news content on streaming platforms in all of our markets, and we are on course to have all 13 CBSN Local services launched by early next year, ahead of the 2020 political primaries and elections.”

“The tremendous collaboration between CBS Television Stations and CBS Interactive is continuing to pay off by placing our CBSN Local services at the forefront of addressing consumers’ interest in receiving local, relevant and useful information on all platforms,” said Adam Wiener, EVP and general manager of CBS Local Digital Media.

“Everyone at CBS San Francisco Bay Area is excited to participate in today’s launch,” said Kevin Walsh, president-GM of KPIX and KBCW. “We look forward to making our award-winning local news content available to a wider audience, locally and globally, with consumers now being able to get the latest Bay Area news on their favorite platforms whenever they want to watch.”

“CBSN’s audience understands the vital importance of local news,” said Christy Tanner, EVP-GM of CBS News Digital. “We’re pleased to add CBSN San Francisco Bay Area as a source of news that impacts the local community and the nation.”

CBSN San Francisco Bay Area is available through CBSN, on CBSNews.com and on the CBS News apps for mobile and connected TV devices. In addition, the service is available through www.CBSSF.com and the CBS Local mobile app.

CBSN San Francisco Bay Area and the portfolio of CBSN Local services build on the success of CBSN, the 24/7 streaming news service from CBS News and CBS Interactive that delivers live national and global news coverage and in-depth reporting from CBS News.

CBSN Local services are ad-supported. They complement CBS’s other streaming services, CBSN, CBS Sports HQ and ET Live, and will ultimately be included as live channels in CBS All Access in their respective markets.

CBSN Minnesota either 12/1/19 or within the first week of December..

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Spintech33 said:

Philly has been preparing for months for CBSN. I believe Pittsburgh and Miami should follow right after Philadelphia.

Well they already have the weather graphics in place, and it was mentioned in another thread that the Nightly Sports Call show, which follows the 10pm news on WPCW, was using the main studio instead of the temp set they used while building the main set. So CBSN Pittsburgh is probably coming right after CBSN Philly debuts, based on the way things are looking right now. 

8 minutes ago, tjt24 said:

Well they already have the weather graphics in place, and it was mentioned in another thread that the Nightly Sports Call show, which follows the 10pm news on WPCW, was using the main studio instead of the temp set they used while building the main set. So CBSN Pittsburgh is probably coming right after Philly, based on the way things are looking right now. 

That is correct. My thinking is that CBSN Philly will  follow CBSN New York and LA for graphics and other O&O related stuff.. I'm right along with you with CBSN Pittsburgh being right after Philly.. Miami, Denver, Sacramento are all next sometime in the first quarter. My belief is that Baltimore, DFW will be last to launch within 2nd Qtr during primary season.

47 minutes ago, Spintech33 said:

That is correct. My thinking is that CBSN Philly will  follow CBSN New York and LA for graphics and other O&O related stuff.. I'm right along with you with CBSN Pittsburgh being right after Philly.. Miami, Denver, Sacramento are all next sometime in the first quarter. My belief is that Baltimore, DFW will be last to launch within 2nd Qtr during primary season.

I'll agree with that. I think there will be quite a bit to do in Baltimore to get everything ready for CBSN...

10 minutes ago, tjt24 said:

I'll agree with that. I think there will be quite a bit to do in Baltimore to get everything ready for CBSN...

First off is the location of the studio. Somewhere in Central Baltimore and I think BAL 11 is couple of doors down from them so studio expansion will be somewhat tough unless they are using their main studio to do CBSN Baltimore.. Where as for New York they have multiple studios to work with. Main studio on 57th & 11th and 52nd and 6th..

2 hours ago, Spintech33 said:

First off is the location of the studio. Somewhere in Central Baltimore and I think BAL 11 is couple of doors down from them so studio expansion will be somewhat tough unless they are using their main studio to do CBSN Baltimore.. Where as for New York they have multiple studios to work with. Main studio on 57th & 11th and 52nd and 6th..

They could expand but as their lot is decent sized and they aren’t restricted much by the tower and it’s guy wires like WBAL. However their transmitter (or is it WMAR’s - I think they swapped during the DTV switch) has its transmission line running overtop of the building. That being said they do have a large second studio that’s used for It’s Academic one or two weekends a month and they just removed their master control.  So WJZ has plenty of space in their building to build a CBSN Baltimore.

Here’s a map of the property lines, you can see that WJZ has a decent amount of space but it’s hilly.  While WBAL doesn’t have as much space (but they own the skinny parcel of land - Hooper Avenue). The parcel below the tower is owned by WMAR.

CADD0CB8-D922-4B58-B60F-A896C1330A0E.thumb.jpeg.379ce0ee63b2c3c0b783b0a3418d2277.jpeg

25 minutes ago, rkolsen said:

One thing I wish CBS would do is design a decent website and give each station a halfway decent app - one that’s worth promoting. 

I completely agree with this. This is what the CBS O&Os need...

9 hours ago, rkolsen said:

They could expand but as their lot is decent sized and they aren’t restricted much by the tower and it’s guy wires like WBAL. However their transmitter (or is it WMAR’s - I think they swapped during the DTV switch) has its transmission line running overtop of the building. That being said they do have a large second studio that’s used for It’s Academic one or two weekends a month and they just removed their master control.  So WJZ has plenty of space in their building to build a CBSN Baltimore.

Here’s a map of the property lines, you can see that WJZ has a decent amount of space but it’s hilly.  While WBAL doesn’t have as much space (but they own the skinny parcel of land - Hooper Avenue). The parcel below the tower is owned by WMAR.

CADD0CB8-D922-4B58-B60F-A896C1330A0E.thumb.jpeg.379ce0ee63b2c3c0b783b0a3418d2277.jpeg

So which station is which? I know both WJZ and WBAL are there but I'm just curious to know which station is which?

Archived