CBS Television Stations launching CBSN Local streaming services modeled after CBSN

AKA

56 minutes ago, Spintech33 said:

CBSN New York- Live 7AM and 1PM with News at Noon (live)

CBSN LA- Live 8AM and 1PM.

.... and breaking news when it happens.

CBSN Boston- September/October, CBSN Bay Area- December. However, I can't see them both premiering in December.

Actually, CBSN L.A. is also live at 7am and 1pm.

CBSN N.Y. also has a live hour at 7pm.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/1/2019 at 10:42 PM, PTVNews said:

Anyone have an idea how much this job pays? SF is so expensive I don't know how people could work this job (or other TV jobs) and live there. I've read stories that people with high paying tech jobs have to look far out for "affordable" housing.

Being comfortable with roommates should also be in the job description, because there's no way this job pays enough to have your own place in SF proper. Or really anywhere within walking distance to a BART station. 

Signed,

Apartment-poor tech worker 

7 minutes ago, caliwxdude said:

Being comfortable with roommates should also be in the job description, because there's no way this job pays enough to have your own place in SF proper. Or really anywhere within walking distance to a BART station. 

Signed,

Apartment-poor tech worker 

Unless you make at least $200,000 a year - if not more - forget living anywhere close to San Francisco.

1 hour ago, GoldenShine9 said:

Unless you make at least $200,000 a year - if not more - forget living anywhere close to San Francisco.

$100K/year is amazing living everywhere else, including where I live.

In San Francisco, $100K/year is considered LOW-INCOME (not making that up).

1 hour ago, TheRolyPoly said:

$100K/year is amazing living everywhere else, including where I live.

In San Francisco, $100K/year is considered LOW-INCOME (not making that up).

well what about Oakland + San Jose? And I think we had similar conversation last year about living expenses in the bay area where some people had to commute as far as Sacramento to work in SF.

Edit: here's a link to threading below to add context, https://forums.tvnewstalk.net/topic/16488-the-cbs-oos-are-a-complete-mess/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-205494

36 minutes ago, justin2kx said:

well what about Oakland + San Jose? And I think we had similar conversation last year about living expenses in the bay area where some people had to commute as far as Sacramento to work in SF.

It's the same in the immediate Bay Area. Oakland USED to be relatively cheap but gentrification has changed that, especially in the western part of the city. Lots of folks commute from Tracy and Stockton as well as Gilroy to the south.

1 hour ago, GoldenShine9 said:

I wonder if this CBSN project will expand to affiliates eventually?

If that was to happen, I'd see Cox Media Group's CBS affiliates taking first crack. After all, KIRO and WHIO already have 24/7 streaming channels.

I see CBSN expansion as CBS' step towards detaching itself from needing TV affiliates. It's not that far fetched to possibly see networks not renew affiliate agreements within 10 years. I don't think that will happen that soon, but it could. CBS and other networks are in the video content business and are now going direct to consumer, cutting out the TV station and telecom middle men that take a cut.

Where does this leave TV stations? They either can't figure out how to adapt fast enough and fade into history, (ok, this part would probably be much more than 10 years out), or try to adapt. If broadcast networks ditch affiliates, station groups may start programming their own station groups as a "network" so to speak. But would there be enough quality content to go around?

Local stations have limited resources as it is to produce non-news programming, which is generally more expensive. Let's pretend it costs $500,000/year to produce a local weekly/daily non-news program. A company like Netflix can more easily afford to fund the project and "sell" it to a worldwide audience to make money compared to a TV station that ,at most, has an audience of several cities or maybe an entire state. This limits the content local stations can provide and makes it hard for them to compete with non-local content providers. So I wonder, is the future of local TV stations going to be just streaming news online with maybe a few other local shows that they try to sell subscriptions to a la Netfilx, and ditch an actual broadcast antenna? 

As as much as this sounds bad for TV stations, the networks aren't going to be eager to drop affiliates until the networks themselves figure out their business model and revenue stream that would replace affiliates.

Sorry for the long post. Just thinking out loud.

As far as pay goes, Bay Area stations do have to offer competitive compensation if they want to find new hires. CBS can’t offer the same pay in San Francisco as it does in Dallas. The Bay Area newsrooms are also generally more unionized than a lot of other markets, which theoretically increases pay. Theoretically.

• 1 month later...

I would imagine from this tweet from KCNC's news director that CBSN Denver is in the preparation stages:

https://twitter.com/CBS4Tim/status/1176229974996639749

I kind of feel like KCNC is going to need a new building, they are the only station in Denver still at their original facility and it woud be good to have more room for something like this, not that they can't make it work right now but it's worth investing in.  Just got to find some property around downtown they can buy up.

7 minutes ago, alrdenver82 said:

I would imagine from this tweet from KCNC's news director that CBSN Denver is in the preparation stages:

I kind of feel like KCNC is going to need a new building, they are the only station in Denver still at their original facility and it would be good to have more room for something like this, not that they can't make it work right now but it's worth investing in.  Just got to find some property around downtown they can buy up.

Oh yeah. They are repurposing their old master control room (which is now in Atlanta). I'll let you know when I hear more.

Walt isn't interested in investing any more. They have big margins. That's how they remain the most profitable CBS O&O.

13 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

Oh yeah. They are repurposing their old master control room (which is now in Atlanta). I'll let you know when I hear more.

Walt isn't interested in investing any more. They have big margins. That's how they remain the most profitable CBS O&O.

Maybe that's why they should have a new building, I don't like the idea of a control room being outsourced to another state when people here in town would love to have jobs.  I'm pretty sure between their margins and the ad revenue made during Broncos season that they can afford it, one day they may have no choice.

57 minutes ago, alrdenver82 said:

Maybe that's why they should have a new building, I don't like the idea of a control room being outsourced to another state when people here in town would love to have jobs.  I'm pretty sure between their margins and the ad revenue made during Broncos season that they can afford it, one day they may have no choice.

Uh... NBC's master control is in Centennial, CO. TEGNA's master control is in Jacksonville, FL. Scripps master control is in Indianapolis, IN. ABC's master control is in Burbank, CA. 

a lot of stations have outsourced their master control. Look at 9NEWS & Channel 20 their master control is out of Jacksonville, FL where Tegna hubs it's NBC, ABC & MNTV stations.   I believe Tegna hubs it's CBS stations out of Columbia SC.

2 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

Uh... NBC's master control is in Centennial, CO. TEGNA's master control is in Jacksonville, FL. Scripps master control is in Indianapolis, IN. ABC's master control is in Burbank, CA. 

2 hours ago, DENDude said:

a lot of stations have outsourced their master control. Look at 9NEWS & Channel 20 their master control is out of Jacksonville, FL where Tegna hubs it's NBC, ABC & MNTV stations.   I believe Tegna hubs it's CBS stations out of Columbia SC.

Well, whether or not it's the new normal I wish the TV stations would keep their control room at their studio at home where if something goes wrong they only need to take a small walk and knock on a door instead of calling them on the phone without being able to provide hands-on assistance, plus it's just better for local-ism.

7 hours ago, alrdenver82 said:

Well, whether or not it's the new normal I wish the TV stations would keep their control room at their studio at home where if something goes wrong they only need to take a small walk and knock on a door instead of calling them on the phone without being able to provide hands-on assistance, plus it's just better for local-ism.

Some station groups have the ability to override the hub during news emergency's.

14 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

Do you think that WTHR’s master control will be moved, now that Tegna owns both them and WBNS?

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 2:09 AM, alrdenver82 said:

I kind of feel like KCNC is going to need a new building, they are the only station in Denver still at their original facility and it woud be good to have more room for something like this, not that they can't make it work right now but it's worth investing in.  Just got to find some property around downtown they can buy up.

CBSN Denver- Early 2020  according to newscast studio.

All other CBS O&O's to be online before the 2020 primary season.

16 hours ago, alrdenver82 said:

Master Control is not Production Control. If something "goes wrong" in a Master Control hub setup, there are still engineers on either end to fix things.

It's been the "new normal" for about a decade at this point. CBS just did it at the O&O's last year.

Archived