CBS Television Stations launching CBSN Local streaming services modeled after CBSN

AKA

https://deadline.com/2018/08/cbs-plans-to-launch-local-streaming-portfolio-modeled-on-cbsn-1202438121/

CBS Television Stations and CBS Interactive plan to launch CBSN Local, a portfolio of streaming services delivering anchored news coverage and live breaking news events from major markets served by CBS stations.

CBSN Local will be modeled on CBSN, the 24/7 streaming news service from CBS News and CBS Interactive that launched in 2014. It will begin in the New York City market in partnership with WCBS, the flagship of the CBS Television Network, and independent sister station WLNY in the fourth quarter of 2018. The rollout will continue in LA, with KCBS and KCAL launching its service, followed by other major markets.

Ad-supported and available direct to consumers with or without a traditional cable bundle, CBSN Local will be available through a range of CBS platforms. Those outlets include CBSN on CBSNews.com, the CBS News apps for mobile and connected TV devices and CBS Television Stations websites and mobile apps.

The local services hope to see the same impact as CBSN, which has drawn an audience that is 80% between the ages of 18 and 49, with an average age of 38.

“CBSN Local is the exciting next chapter in how our stations will serve audiences seeking local news on all of the most popular content consumption platforms,” said Peter Dunn, President, CBS Television Stations. “These streaming local news services will be a terrific companion to the award-winning national and global news reporting provided by CBSN. Working together, we look forward to making the outstanding local news coverage produced by our stations available to a wider audience, anytime and anywhere people want to view it.”

Each CBSN Local service, led by anchors and reporters at local CBS Television Stations, will feature live streams of the stations’ regularly scheduled early morning, daytime and evening newscasts. They will also feature additional daily newscasts that will be produced exclusively for CBSN Local. The services will provide live continuous coverage of breaking news events and an extensive library of content that will be available for on-demand viewing.

“CBSN’s tremendous success in attracting a growing and engaged audience of viewers across all platforms paved the way for us to bring our direct-to-consumer strategy to local markets,” said Jim Lanzone, CEO, CBS Interactive and Chief Digital Officer, CBS Corporation. “The addition of CBSN Local services delivering high-quality coverage from our stations around the country will bring a new level of depth to CBSN’s 24/7 original reporting.”

CBSN Local will complement CBS’ other streaming services, CBSN and CBS Sports HQ, and will ultimately be included as live channels on subscription service CBS All Access in their respective markets.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really smart of them to do this because, with the failed CBS Plus experiment, I suspect many of these O&Os still have the infrastructure capable of doing this.

That was a little ahead of its time. Now there will be a bevy of platforms the O&Os can beam it out to. They probably could literally keep much of the same "news wheel" formats, too.

Really smart of them to do this because, with the failed CBS Plus experiment, I suspect many of these O&Os still have the infrastructure capable of doing this.

That was a little ahead of its time. Now there will be a bevy of platforms the O&Os can beam it out to. They probably could literally keep much of the same "news wheel" formats, too.

I think the infrastructure will be completely different. CBS Plus was a subchannel where this is a webstream. I’m not sure how web streaming is set up but they probably will need to send a signal to whoever controls CBSN or use the one existing one. With CBS hubbing master control in Atlanta I imagine either the hub or CBS Interactive managing the feeds.

I’m surprised at the web only newscasts. I don’t see them getting big numbers. So could it be a full half hour newscast or short 5-10 minute updates like KPIX does on Facebook.

I’m struggling a bit to see if there’s enough content for a truly local feed.

I gotta say, CBS' streaming news channel beats the pants off all the so-called cable 'news' channels. Straight news, rather than people in virtual boxes shouting talking points at each other

Same with Newsy (don't mean to go off-topic on that).

I see WCBS is hiring for producers especially for this project, which is good. But if they're not also hiring more reporters, photogs, et al for it too, then it's probably still going to just be a reshuffling of all the existing content in newscasts and on the newswires. So far, that's what these KCBS and KPIX Facebook mini newscasts appear to be.

Still should be interesting to see how this pans out though.

• 11 months later...

It looks like CBS has worked on rolling out local CBSN in NYC and LA.  SF Bay Area looks to be next.  Not sure if Philly has it yet.  I'd imagine remaining CBS O&O markets to get it soon.  It'll be interesting to see whether non-O&O markets (like Atlanta, Houston, DC, Seattle, etc.) get local CBSN service.

Edited: Not about whether Chicago will get it.  I probably wouldn't anticipate Detroit getting it anytime soon.

4 minutes ago, atlnewsfan03 said:

It looks like CBS has worked on rolling out local CBSN in NYC, LA, and Chicago.  SF Bay Area looks to be next.  Not sure if Philly has it yet.  I'd imagine remaining CBS O&O markets to get it soon.  It'll be interesting to see whether non-O&O markets (like Atlanta, Houston, DC, Seattle, etc.) get local CBSN service.

For the record, there's no CBSN Chicago just yet.

I know it’s only a cosmetic thing.....KCBS/KCAL remodeled their newsroom desk when CBSN Launched, I wonder if KPIX will update theirs since it’s an old podium from the old previous news set.

KBCW only has a 30 min newscast nightly at 10.

not sure if they are going to increase newscasts for CBSN in the morning for KBCW since the morning slot is paid programming.  We’ll see how this goes.

13 hours ago, Weeters said:

Bumping this thread up, looks like KPIX is going to be one of the next to launch their own CBSN.

https://cbscorporation.jobs/san-francisco-ca/newscast-director-cbsn/6453E8E0CEEF4EE5AA42AADBAA5AEA93/job/

Anyone have an idea how much this job pays? SF is so expensive I don't know how people could work this job (or other TV jobs) and live there. I've read stories that people with high paying tech jobs have to look far out for "affordable" housing.

16 hours ago, atlnewsfan03 said:

It looks like CBS has worked on rolling out local CBSN in NYC AND LA, .  SF Bay Area looks to be next.  Not sure if Philly has it yet.  I'd imagine remaining CBS O&O markets to get it soon.  It'll be interesting to see whether non-O&O markets (like Atlanta, Houston, DC, Seattle, etc.) get local CBSN service.

Philly has issues right now: No station manager and No Managing Editor.. So no CBSN Philly just yet.

However, I do see CBSN Boston & CBSN Bay area on the horizons. Those 2 markets have been picking up steam as of late.

IMO: I don't think right now or in the near future the non O&O's will get CBSN

PS: Chicago does not have CBSN. (Edited your post).

28 minutes ago, TheRob said:

I've never bothered to watch the CBSN N.Y. or L.A. versions, but how much of it is truly live? Do they have a recorded newscast scheduled to air when live events aren't possible?

I know that they simulcast their stations newscasts and they have live news for an hour at 8am and 1pm, but that's all I know from watching them a bit.

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 10:56 AM, tjt24 said:

I know that they simulcast their stations newscasts and they have live news for an hour at 8am and 1pm, but that's all I know from watching them a bit.

CBSN New York- Live 7AM and 1PM with News at Noon (live)

CBSN LA- Live 8AM and 1PM.

.... and breaking news when it happens.

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 1:33 AM, TheRolyPoly said:

But not without appearing in Boston and San Francisco first by the end of this year.

CBSN Boston- September/October, CBSN Bay Area- December. However, I can't see them both premiering in December.

Archived