Cordillera Looking To Exit TV Business

LexTVandRadio

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why would they want small market Cordillera when the big kids - Cox / Tribune - are on the block?

Remember when you had your first job that you started at the bottom and worked yourself up? The same can be said for any start-up media company like Standard. You start off at the bottom (which would be the Graycom conflicts and Cordillera) and then work your way up to groups like Tribune and Cox

Standard General is a hedge fund that's been around! I doubt they have any interest in starting from the bottom and working their way up. Not when they can buy whatever's available and flip it in a few years like Newport or Local TV did!

Standard General is a hedge fund that's been around! I doubt they have any interest in starting from the bottom and working their way up. Not when they can buy whatever's available and flip it in a few years like Newport or Local TV did!

Sorry but, I disagree. I think Soo Kim wants to be in the broadcasting business (I've said that from the getgo) and be in it for the long haul if they weren't serious enough to be in this business for the long haul. I could see them doing what Newport did and what Local TV did but not in Standard's case

I'd consider them a real longshot, and I agree. But that's another topic.

Hopefully this could be a start of a good group that has the scale to battle the mega groups, and uses the goodwill and expertise of their acquisitions to thrive in their local markets. If the acquirer is in it to make a quality go at it, the industry will be better off than if the stations are acquired solely for profit, reach, ego and de-localizing the content much like Sinclair and Nexstar (and even Gray & Raycom) have done....

Hopefully this could be a start of a good group that has the scale to battle the mega groups, and uses the goodwill and expertise of their acquisitions to thrive in their local markets. If the acquirer is in it to make a quality go at it, the industry will be better off than if the stations are acquired solely for profit, reach, ego and de-localizing the content much like Sinclair and Nexstar (and even Gray & Raycom) have done....

And yet Nexstar says they believe in localism. That turned out to be a lie for them.

• 1 month later...
Sorry but, I disagree. I think Soo Kim wants to be in the broadcasting business (I've said that from the getgo) and be in it for the long haul if they weren't serious enough to be in this business for the long haul. I could see them doing what Newport did and what Local TV did but not in Standard's case

Soo Kim tried to merge Media General with Meredith, and when that failed, he promptly flipped it to Nexstar. Made a lot of money.

He’s a private equity investor. They buy and flip whatever they buy into at whatever price, all the while firing as many people as possible to maximize the money they can net in the end. They don’t play to stay in whatever field they invest in. (The one exception is Bain Capital being stuck with iHeart for well over a decade, but only because of that company’s crippling debt load.)

A company like Standard General is not a long-term investment, and you’re crazy to think otherwise. If the ownership caps are somehow lifted or eliminated, Soo will sell whatever stations he’s able to buy to Sinclair/Nexstar/whomever for a handsome profit.

In that case, you'd be looking at someone like Morgan Murphy, Quincy or Heartland reaching out in the 2nd tier possibilities. But do they have the money to break out, or (especially with Quincy) want to break out of their geography? That's where I doubt it.

I doubt any companies with big market focus would want the Montana stations, at the very least. Their best hope is to have Gray do most of the work and then go after the leftovers.

Archived