Leslie Moonves accused of sexual misconduct.

TheRolyPoly

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wonder how long it'll take for CBS to be dethroned...

It's unlikely anything will change in the next 12-14 months (they have Super Bowl 53 next year). And even then, they may only slip to 2nd. Losing Les hurts, but isn't a death blow to CBS. It's not like NBC, ABC or FOX will suddenly aquire better programming overnight.

I wonder if Julie Chen will take time off from The Talk and dare I say Big Brother for this situation?

Unless she's willing to divorce him, Julie's position at CBS is likely untenable given her vehement denials of the accusations against Les.

I wonder if Julie Chen will take time off from The Talk and dare I say Big Brother for this situation?

Maybe the Talk for sure, but she’s only on BB on Thursdays. It’s a Double Eviction week, so I would assume she’s be there on Thursday. However, one would completely understand if she takes some extended time off both shows. I guess Phil (Amazing Race) or Jeff (Survivor) could step in on Big Brother to finish the season.

Monday's edition of The Talk should be very interesting; Julie Chen has been Les's most vocal supporter. Will she follow him out the door?

She did nothing wrong, so there wouldn’t be a logical reason to leave CBS. She’s the face of Big Brother, but after 20 seasons, she may want to leave (honesty, BB needs a new show runner above all else). Guess we have to see what happens starting tomorrow.

Maybe the Talk for sure, but she’s only on BB on Thursdays. It’s a Double Eviction week, so I would assume she’s be there on Thursday. However, one would completely understand if she takes some extended time off both shows. I guess Phil (Amazing Race) or Jeff (Survivor) could step in on Big Brother to finish the season.

She did nothing wrong, so there wouldn’t be a logical reason to leave CBS. She’s the face of Big Brother, but after 20 seasons, she may want to leave (honesty, BB needs a new show runner above all else). Guess we have to see what happens starting tomorrow.

How about one of the other hosts of the Talk filling her spot on BB?

How about one of the other hosts of the Talk filling her spot on BB?

None of them seem to fit the role imo, but you never know. I figure, if need be, Phil or Jeff to finish the season out given both are familiar faces within the CBS family. Heck..I wouldn’t rule out a former BB winner being host if Julie doesn’t return.

None of them seem to fit the role imo, but you never know. I figure, if need be, Phil or Jeff to finish the season out given both are familiar faces within the CBS family. Heck..I wouldn’t rule out a former BB winner being host if Julie doesn’t return.

This may be a far out scenario but CBS COULD use one of the stars of their scripted shows to host. At least on a temporary basis. They commonly use them to host awards shows on the network. It'd probably be someone from their sitcoms first before someone from the dramas.

Deadline reporting that National Amusements (Redstone) won’t talk about merging CBS and Viacom for 2 years—but they get to appoint 6 directors to the CBS board, so it’s probably gonna happen?

The lawsuit NAI had against CBS was more or less brought about because of Les’ resistance, so it makes sense to terminate that with his departure. Very likely that a Viacom-CBS re-merger will be ridiculously anticlimactic two years down the road.

Today’s RAMP trade newsletter lists the six people that were appointed to CBS’s board (and those who departed), if you were so inclined to keep track of that.

I was discussing with my colleagues about Julie Chen. I don’t know if she’s going to come back. This is the downside from marrying a TV Exec. If they have a disgraceful downfall then anything associated with them are normally phased out too.

The lawsuit NAI had against CBS was more or less brought about because of Les’ resistance, so it makes sense to terminate that with his departure. Very likely that a Viacom-CBS re-merger will be ridiculously anticlimactic two years down the road.

Today’s RAMP trade newsletter lists the six people that were appointed to CBS’s board (and those who departed), if you were so inclined to keep track of that.

The question, though, is why would National Amusements agree to defer a potential CBS-Viacom merger until at least September 2020? That would put such a merger agreement being signed as early as two months before the Presidential election.

Who ultimately wins that election could put a wrench in re-consolidating the two companies, based on how soon a transition between the current and future appointees of the two principal agencies (as well as what governing philosophy of those appointed to replace Ajit Pai and Makan Delrahim should the presidency change parties, either someone more likely to block such media mega-mergers if someone like Bernie Sanders wins the election or someone with similarly permissive philosophies as Pai or Delrahim - or even retaining one of the two - toward such mergers if a Republican or establishment Democrat takes the office after the election) that the deal would need to obtain approval occurs. They probably should have shortened that embargo to one year, if they wanted to get a deal done while the current FCC and DOJ administrations are still in place.

Julie Chen will be back on the Big Brother live show Thursday. Presumably, she'll return eventually to The Talk. When she did announce that she was taking time off, she did say it was to "be with family", to which everybody knew the subtext too..

"be with the family" is code for "...

"I'm going to the spa in the Hamptons...then I'm hopping the CBS jet to Paris for a quick shopping trip...then I'm going to see my divorce lawyer (Laura Wasserman)...then I'm coming home to be on my show...

...and if you even look at me funny I will write a book about being married to you."

That's what she REALLY means.

Cuz who the hell wants to go hang out with Mother.

Who ultimately wins that election could put a wrench in re-consolidating the two companies, based on how soon a transition between the current and future appointees of the two principal agencies (as well as what governing philosophy of those appointed to replace Ajit Pai and Makan Delrahim should the presidency change parties, either someone more likely to block such media mega-mergers if someone like Bernie Sanders wins the election or someone with similarly permissive philosophies as Pai or Delrahim - or even retaining one of the two - toward such mergers if a Republican or establishment Democrat takes the office after the election) that the deal would need to obtain approval occurs. They probably should have shortened that embargo to one year, if they wanted to get a deal done while the current FCC and DOJ administrations are still in place.

Considering the common ownership between the two companies, how much say would regulators even have?

The question, though, is why would National Amusements agree to defer a potential CBS-Viacom merger until at least September 2020? That would put such a merger agreement being signed as early as two months before the Presidential election.

As I understand it, the agreement allows for the board to independently propose a merger--it's just that NAI can't be the ones to do it first for two years.

It'll probably be half that time that we see reunification.

Archived