Cox sells majority TV interest to Apollo

The Frog

Yesterday, I was just thinking to myself, I am glad Cox isn't going through these crazy mergers, and sure enough, the next day the announcement is made. Personally, I love the Cox stations (I have WSOC here, and I am often in Atlanta, and watch WSB just as faithfully.) As long as they keep the news heavy, no fluff, I will be happy. I would love to see a Meredith purchase, but, then again, I can see that becoming another piece of merger bait in a few years. As long as the company that shall not be named (Sinclair) doesn't grab them up, I am fine. Haha.

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think those rules are in effect anymore.

It's not an issue anymore (at least since 2000 or so) as they are in different markets. If it was, Sinclair would have to have sold either WKRC or WKEF, and I believe they've owned both of them for quite some time. Scripps can legally own both WCPO and WHIO without any problem. Likewise, Hearst or Gray(com) can also legally acquire a Dayton station (they are longshots here though), and Nexstar can legally acquire a Cincinnati station.

I hate to sound all Chicken Little here; but the fact this was announced just a day or two after the news that Sinclair was unlikely to have their deal with Tribune approved by the FCC is no coincidence. But the idea that Sinclair is “on probation” is frankly laughable. So they managed to find and cross Pai’s red line; a Cox purchase would certainly be under that line (so long as they don’t try to shell KIRO, KOKI, and WPXI). I’m sure the 3 Republicans on the FCC would like to forgive and forget as soon as possible.

Now, there is the remote possibility they might try a merger with Tribune. It’s not completely far fetched that Tribune’s current owners may like the idea of staying in the broadcasting game if they can do it with the Cox family owning a majority stake. A combined company would certainly have the scale Cox wants (but believes it can’t obtain on its own). Again, this is more wishful thinking than anything else.

I hate to sound all Chicken Little here; but the fact this was announced just a day or two after the news that Sinclair was unlikely to have their deal with Tribune approved by the FCC is no coincidence. But the idea that Sinclair is “on probation” is frankly laughable. So they managed to find and cross Pai’s red line; a Cox purchase would certainly be under that line (so long as they don’t try to shell KIRO, KOKI, and WPXI). I’m sure the 3 Republicans on the FCC would like to forgive and forget as soon as possible.

Now, there is the remote possibility they might try a merger with Tribune. It’s not completely far fetched that Tribune’s current owners may like the idea of staying in the broadcasting game if they can do it with the Cox family owning a majority stake. A combined company would certainly have the scale Cox wants (but believes it can’t obtain on its own). Again, this is more wishful thinking than anything else.

I find it hard to think that the FCC would approve an application related to Sinclair buying anything with the character questions posed in the HDO. If it's one petitioner in a license renewal, that's one thing. A hearing? In today's FCC, that's about as rare as a unicorn.

A little late but....In before Disney should buy WFTV because well....They own some land down near the Osceola/Orange County line.

Eh, it's just a bit of swampland. Nothing big.

I’d be interested to see Disney own an independent station as well (WRDQ).

They already did via KCAL, pre-Viacom. I’d like to see a network get an indy station (Fox & MyNet don’t count as the MyNet stations are already de-facto Independent.)

A little late but....In before Disney should buy WFTV because well....They own some land down near the Osceola/Orange County line.

"Live from Studio 9 at Disney's Hollywood Studios, this is ABC 9 Eyewitness News."

That has a nice ring to it.

I think their reason for buying KCAL was as a feeler for a prospective foray into network TV (and it became, effectively, a Disney Afternoon O&O). When Eisner bought ABC, KCAL had served its purpose and could be sold to Young (which Disney owned part of as a result of the CapCities deal).

There's no way Hearst is buying Cox. The three conflicts are in 3 of the 4 biggest markets (Boston, Orlando and Pittsburgh). Same goes for Tegna (conflicts in 4 out of the 10 Cox markets).

I'm going to disagree on Hearst. So they'd have to choose stations in those markets to sell off. Since when is that a deal-breaker? Besides, the choice would be ridiculously easy in at least Boston.

As for Tegna, I'll just note that the markets it'd have conflicts in are different from the three Hearst has. The two companies could split the Cox stations without any problems.

Wouldn’t WCPO and WHIO be a conflict?

WCPO’s signal reaches Dayton quite well - city-grade reception in much of town, and WCPO’s viewing area includes parts of the Dayton DMA.

No.

Remember, Sinclair owns WSYX/WTTE/WWHO in Columbus, WKEF/WRGT in Dayton, and WKRC/WSTR in Cincinnati. Under the old rules those would have all been conflicts, so it's a moot point.

They already did via KCAL, pre-Viacom. I’d like to see a network get an indy station (Fox & MyNet don’t count as the MyNet stations are already de-facto Independent.)

KXTA and WLNY want to say hi.

Unless Disney shows an interest in getting WFTV/WRDQ in Orlando As for Hearst Television, is quite unlikely in Orlando since they own both WESH/WKCF

Not to mention, anyone who keeps screaming HEARST! HEARST! HEARST! fails to realize that not only is Orlando a major conflict, but the Hearst graphics hub is based there as is some other integral corporate functions. With Hearst likely going for the top station in the market, that would be an extremely messy and costly divorce and restructure and who would want to do that?

The problem Sinclair has is pretty simple: they lied to the FCC. They violated the honor system that every other broadcast chain abides by when dealing with the commission, and did so in a criminally stupid manner.

That’s a pretty goddam large red line to cross, even if the commissioners are as shamefully partisan like Paid Off is. Pretty much the Republican commissioners want Sinclair to be as quiet as possible and that way they can get off with a fine, a wink and a nod. Trying to buy Cox will not help their cause in any way.

Cox is an equally large purchase as Tribune is, even without the “big three” of KTLA, WGN and WPIX but a monster in WSB, and a bunch of conflict market divestitures that will need to be addressed publicly, something the company has never done before in their history. If they couldn’t get Tribune closed, it doesn’t bode well for a purchase of this scale.

The problem Sinclair has is pretty simple: they lied to the FCC. They violated the honor system that every other broadcast chain abides by when dealing with the commission, and did so in a criminally stupid manner.

That’s a pretty goddam large red line to cross, even if the commissioners are as shamefully partisan like Paid Off is. Pretty much the Republican commissioners want Sinclair to be as quiet as possible and that way they can get off with a fine, a wink and a nod. Trying to buy Cox will not help their cause in any way.

Cox is an equally large purchase as Tribune is, even without the “big three” of KTLA, WGN and WPIX but a monster in WSB. If they couldn’t get Tribune closed, it doesn’t bode well for a purchase of this scale.

Doesn't mean they won't try, even though Cox would have the final say as to who would receive their TV assets.

I hate to say it, but if Cox does decide to sell out... The likely only scenarios are Scripps or Nexstar with only one conflict a piece. A newly-formed Graycom likely wouldn't be able to afford it, and if they do there would be conflicts particularly in Charlotte. Hearst, Graham, Meredith, Tegna, and any of the O&Os are pretty much off the table and that's because of conflicts or lack of purchasing history alone.

And then there's Sinclair... and Sinclair is in a lot of trouble right now. As mentioned before in this thread, a new deal with Cox won't sit well with FCC since they're already under the magnifying glass. If they ditch the Tribune deal and go for Cox stations, they would still be under FCC investigation.

And the previous mention of a Cox/Tribune merger is highly unlikely. Tribune execs want to sell and get out of dodge.

My only other belief is that maybe Berkshire Hathaway Media swoops in for the Cox properties, bringing them under the same umbrella with WPLG. The issue here would be BH Media's close relationship with Graham, and is likely just a shell since they haven't made any attempts to purchase more properties.

*Shudders to think of Scripps graphics on WSB* :oops:

Well now, ain't that a shocker, I wouldn't expect Cox Enterprises to do this, they're not in debt, they have the 5-headed horsemen of top stations (WHIO, WSB, WSOC, KIRO, and WFTV), and they own stakes of InDemand and MLB Network, along with owning Kelly Blue Book and AutoTrader through its Cox Automotive unit, so what gives?

IF.......and let me emphasize the word "IF" Hearst were to buy the Cox stations, I wonder if they would sell off the Memphis, Tulsa & Jacksonville FOX Affiliates, or would they keep them? I know this probably needs to go into the Speculation thread.

• CircleSeven changed the title to Cox sells majority TV interest to Apollo

Archived