Cox sells majority TV interest to Apollo

The Frog

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm looking forward to the websites of the former NWB stations taking a more professional look rather then their current sites that appear to have been designed by a High School web page design class.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay. Small follow-up.

We're coming up on one month since the Cox/Apollo deal was completed. And as we know, it had to surrender the license of one of its stations in Syracuse & Yuma. The question was which one? Paperwork was posted last night on CMG's proposal to reorganize its corporate structure. And I saw this on the footnote:

Prior to the consummation of the Reorganization, the company will surrender the license of WNYS-TV, Syracuse, NY (facility identification number 58725), which is currently held by Syracuse Broadcasting, Inc. Syracuse Broadcasting, Inc. will not hold any FCC licenses after the license for WNYS-TV is surrendered.

So we now know the license of WNYS will be gone after this week. I also saw this on the "Other Authorizations" listing, and under Yuma, it only list KSWT but not KYMA. That makes me think that KYMA's paper will be shredded too.

But the question still remains. What's the channel lineup going to be like afterwards? Will the displaced main streams be moved to 13.2 & 68.2, respectively? Or will it inherit both virtual channels on the surviving spectrum (i.e. 11.1/13.1 on KSWT & 43.1/68.1 on WSYT)? The latter would make the most sense and it would alleviate any viewer confusion after they rescan. 

Anywho, KYMA/KSWT are telling OTA viewers to rescan on Friday.

If anyone needs spectrum in either Syracuse or Yuma, we may have some potential suitors:

Syracuse - RF15, post repack for WNYS, to Cunningham, the Sinclair Shell, for use for CW outlet WSTQ, who's operating on WSTM 3.2. Apparently, Sinclair has a CP to build WSTQ-LD on RF14 which is no longer possible as WSYT now occupies RF14.

Yuma - RF11, apparently, to VistaWest, NPG Shell, for potential use for KESE as KECY RF9 appears to be crowded with 4 HD channels, FOX, ABC, CW, Telemundo.

On 1/13/2020 at 7:33 PM, JCB4TV said:

If anyone needs spectrum in either Syracuse or Yuma, we may have some potential suitors:

Syracuse - RF15, post repack for WNYS, to Cunningham, the Sinclair Shell, for use for CW outlet WSTQ, who's operating on WSTM 3.2. Apparently, Sinclair has a CP to build WSTQ-LD on RF14 which is no longer possible as WSYT now occupies RF14.

Yuma - RF11, apparently, to VistaWest, NPG Shell, for potential use for KESE as KECY RF9 appears to be crowded with 4 HD channels, FOX, ABC, CW, Telemundo.

This is speculation, because there hasn't been an announcement of any spectrum Cox/Apollo is surrendering getting resold. I'm sure if any of spectrum is getting either resold or repurposed, it would've been announced by now.

Anywho. WSYT is telling viewers to rescan tomorrow (1/15).

Meanwhile in Yuma, yesterday (strangely enough), KSWT & KYMA switched call letters. And now the webpage has removed the station logos on top of the page. Could there be a rebrand in place in the valley?

And one more thing to note. Coincidentially, this is happening at the same time about 70 stations (mostly in eastern US) are moving frequencies in the spectrum repack.

11 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

This is speculation, because there hasn't been an announcement of any spectrum Cox/Apollo is surrendering getting resold. I'm sure if any of spectrum is getting either resold or repurposed, it would've been announced by now.

Anywho. WSYT is telling viewers to rescan tomorrow (1/15).

Meanwhile in Yuma, yesterday (strangely enough), KSWT & KYMA switched call letters. And now the webpage has removed the station logos on top of the page. Could there be a rebrand in place in the valley?

And one more thing to note. Coincidentially, this is happening at the same time about 70 stations (mostly in eastern US) are moving frequencies in the spectrum repack.

To clarify, I was suggesting that Sinclair & NPG appear to be in most need for spectrum in Syracuse & Yuma respectively and would need their respective shells to make it happen. The FCC would just issue a new license should any application be submitted and approved.

As for KYMA, the call sign change for RF13 is most likely due to the fact the URL is currently https://kyma.com/ although KECY appears to be the primary station.

1 hour ago, JCB4TV said:

To clarify, I was suggesting that Sinclair & NPG appear to be in most need for spectrum in Syracuse & Yuma respectively and would need their respective shells to make it happen. The FCC would just issue a new license should any application be submitted and approved.

As for KYMA, the call sign change for RF13 is most likely due to the fact the URL is currently https://kyma.com/ although KECY appears to be the primary station.

The kswt.com URL have been redirected to KYMA's URL for a few years now.

Also, I'm sure Sinclair won't be playing the shell game any time soon, after what happen in the Tribune deal in 2018.....

This could explain the callsign switch. From a reporter at the Yuma stations:

Also, KSWT's facebook page URL was changed to from KSWT13 to CBS13OnYourSide.

And oh.... On the bottom of the station's website, the 13 logo was tweaked to remove the KSWT calls on top.

300X125.png

Update regarding the three Ohio papers.

The FCC yesterday granted CMG a two-month extension to comply with the order. So that means they can continue with the 7-day publication until at least March 16. If CMG didn't get the extension yesterday, they would've had to comply with 3-day publication order today.

Also said on the document, CMG has gotten offers from four unrelated third parties for the papers. And since the papers are integrated with the other media properties, they're offering a transition service agreement to the new buyer for a period of six months after closing.

But it also said (on the footnote), if the buyer can't close the sale by March 16, then CMG would have to comply with the 3-day publication order.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The new Cox Media Group has a new logo.

GvC38fLUFEaeCBs6vhNQTd-650-80.png

After an internal contest, the new logo was designed by an art director at the Cox station in Jacksonville. 

From B&C:

The logo features the company’s initials, with the “C” and the “G” in the company’s signature blue shade, with the “M” made up for yellow, orange and blue hues the company says reflects the company’s legacy of competition, collaboration, diversity and inclusion.

1 hour ago, CircleSeven said:

After an internal contest, the new logo was designed by an art director at the Cox station in Jacksonville. 

From B&C:

I Just Watched WPXI's (Pittsburgh) 6 PM broadcast and they still have the old logo in their end card. I hope to upload the ending when WPXI switches to the new logo.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2020 at 5:37 PM, CircleSeven said:

From B&C:

Here is WPXI's Close with the Old CMG Logo just before NBC Nightly News.

• 3 weeks later...

Is it just me or is it coincidental that a former DirecTV head is going to lead a company owned by the same people "rumored" to acquire a company that he used to work for (DirecTV).

Archived