Cox sells majority TV interest to Apollo

The Frog

All they would have to do is sell one station in Tulsa, and the deal would be an easy one.

While Scripps would still be very ABC-heavy (especially with three more very strong ABC affiliates - they would have 17), they'd increase their CBS presence from 2 to 5, and their Fox presence from 4 to 7 (assuming KOKI is divested; 8 if KJRH is sold).

Another tidbit: Scripps owned WMC in Memphis for many years. It would be a return to the market if they got WHBQ.

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply
All they would have to do is sell one station in Tulsa, and the deal would be an easy one.

The only problem with that is Scripps may not want to sell KJRH since they just spent money letting there station remodel the place and upgrade their weather system

While Scripps would still be very ABC-heavy (especially with three more very strong ABC affiliates - they would have 17), they'd increase their CBS presence from 2 to 5, and their Fox presence from 4 to 7 (assuming KOKI is divested; 8 if KJRH is sold).

Another tidbit: Scripps owned WMC in Memphis for many years. It would be a return to the market if they got WHBQ.

I'd be curious as to what the ratings are like for Tulsa

Obviously, KOTV for the last 17+ years has been Tulsa's Leader in TV News but KOKI, since Cox took over, have really surged from 4 to 2 while KJRH/KTUL have slipped to 3 and 4, be very interested to see what the ratings look like.

As of now, I say Scripps retains KOKI and KJRH will have new owners

Obviously, KOTV for the last 17+ years has been Tulsa's Leader in TV News but KOKI, since Cox took over, have really surged from 4 to 2 while KJRH/KTUL have slipped to 3 and 4, be very interested to see what the ratings look like.

I know KOTV dominates, but I thought the rest of the order was KTUL 2nd, KJRH 3rd and KOKI 4th?

I may be wrong but would the tax hit be higher if they sold off KJRH? Unless they traded it for a station in another market...and KOKI being part of a duopoly with KMYT would be a point in its favor...

I may be wrong but would the tax hit be higher if they sold off KJRH? Unless they traded it for a station in another market...and KOKI being part of a duopoly with KMYT would be a point in its favor...

If Scripps did trade KJRH who would you include going with KJRH in the trade (if any) and who would you get in return?

Who would KJRH/KOKI go to, though? Nexstar seems most likely.

I would look to Oklahoma City and Fort Smith for clues on where either station would go to

There's irony to this one considering E.W. Scripps built WMC-TV from the ground up when it signed on almost 70 years ago. Owning a competitor station in WHBQ is something I probably wouldn't have expected to happen.

There's irony to this one considering E.W. Scripps built WMC-TV from the ground up when it signed on almost 70 years ago. Owning a competitor station in WHBQ is something I probably wouldn't have expected to happen.

Have there been other companies besides Scripps that have built/signed on a TV station, only to have sold it and then, later on, return to that same market with a competing station? The only one off-hand that I could think of would be Griffin signing KTUL on the air then sold it off and then later returned to Tulsa with the purchase of KOTV from Belo in 2000

Have there been other companies besides Scripps that have built/signed on a TV station, only to have sold it and then, later on, return to that same market with a competing station? The only one off-hand that I could think of would be Griffin signing KTUL on the air then sold it off and then later returned to Tulsa with the purchase of KOTV from Belo in 2000

In the Carolinas, Pappas signed on WHNS (today owned by Meredith), sold it off and then bought WASV (now WYCW).

A predecessor of Morgan Murphy signed on WEAU in Eau Claire, Wisconsin. Presently, Morgan Murphy owns WKBT in that same market.

CBS ... when they got the construction permit for what would have been KMOX-TV 11, then sold that to the Koplars after successfully purchasing the market’s existing CBS affiliate, KWK-TV 4.

In the Carolinas, Pappas signed on WHNS (today owned by Meredith), sold it off and then bought WASV (now WYCW).

A predecessor of Morgan Murphy signed on WEAU in Eau Claire, Wisconsin. Presently, Morgan Murphy owns WKBT in that same market.

CBS ... when they got the construction permit for what would have been KMOX-TV 11, then sold that to the Koplars after successfully purchasing the market’s existing CBS affiliate, KWK-TV 4.

That's who I was thinking of. I knew there were couple of others but I forgot about the others

I just thought about something as I was watching WTVF while I'm at work, you want to know one reason why Scripps is a good fit for stations like WSB or WFTV?

The graphics.

Think about it, think about the WSB logo and the WFTV logo, they could EASILY go with the Scripps standardized pack and it would look great. And WJAX/WFOX already has a similar variation of it in red and blue, so it wouldn't be much of a drastic change.

WSOC and WHIO would fit right in as well. It just goes to show that their current logos would not need altering in any way.

I know most of the people on this forum want the Scripps pack to be replaced already, but if Cox and Scripps should merge, I would be fine with WSB using the Scripps graphics (they're overdue for new graphics anyway).

I just thought about something as I was watching WTVF while I'm at work, you want to know one reason why Scripps is a good fit for stations like WSB or WFTV?

The graphics.

:rolleyes: What the graphics package looks like is of ZERO concern when it comes to the sale of a multi-million dollar corporation that employs thousands of people.

:rolleyes: What the graphics package looks like is of ZERO concern when it comes to the sale of a multi-million dollar corporation that employs thousands of people.

Don't tell that to the in-house art departments Cox employs who could find themselves out of work in a challenging market should a group that's graphics hub happy like Scripps pick them up.

WPXI also could use a graphics upgrade, especially since their current graphics are an evolution of their 2007 graphics package.

I agree completely. Their Graphics are very bland compared to the New WTAE graphics and CBS O&O graphics KDKA has. Also, WPGH never seemed to fit the WPXI graphics in the 10 PM newscasts. I wish Cox/Sinclair would have used different graphics for the WPGH newscast.

Don't tell that to the in-house art departments Cox employs who could find themselves out of work in a challenging market should a group that's graphics hub happy like Scripps pick them up.

That's essentially my point – graphics designers at Cox won't care about what the graphics will look like at the new company if they don't have jobs in it.

There's so much more at stake in these mergers than what the sets or graphics will look like.

That's essentially my point – graphics designers at Cox won't care about what the graphics will look like at the new company if they don't have jobs in it.

There's so much more at stake in these mergers than what the sets or graphics will look like.

I know C Block, I was making a general observation not saying that should be a deciding factor and reason for the sale. No need to be a dick about it.

• CircleSeven changed the title to Cox sells majority TV interest to Apollo

Archived