Entercom Buying WBEB-FM in Philly

WCAUTVNBC10

http://www.philly.com/philly/business/101-more-fm-925-xtu-entercom-beasley-20180719.html

Never thought I'd see the day this would happen but here we are. Big get for them as they are the perennial ratings king on the radio in Philly. I guess Jerry Lee wanted to cash out before he went to the big radio studio in the sky. Entercom is spinning off WXTU to Beasley to satisfy the ownership cap.

Entercom would be stupid to dare try and change anything with WBEB. If they do, they will face the consequences from their listeners. Not saying they will, but they shouldn’t.

It DOES bring up some interesting implications for the Entercom cluster. Obviously WTDY is not staying in that format for long, so what do they flip to? Back to CHR? Some form of rock like they’ve been doing in other markets? KYW-FM? Lots to ponder.

http://www.philly.com/philly/business/101-more-fm-925-xtu-entercom-beasley-20180719.html

Never thought I'd see the day this would happen but here we are. Big get for them as they are the perennial ratings king on the radio in Philly. I guess Jerry Lee wanted to cash out before he went to the big radio studio in the sky. Entercom is spinning off WXTU to Beasley to satisfy the ownership cap.

How old is Jerry Lee anyway? I think he's in his 80s or something like that

It DOES bring up some interesting implications for the Entercom cluster. Obviously WTDY is not staying in that format for long, so what do they flip to? Back to CHR? Some form of rock like they’ve been doing in other markets? KYW-FM? Lots to ponder.

I think they should go back to the AMP format. Under that brand, they were becoming a stronger competitor to iHeart-owned WIOQ.

My guess and hope would be a rock station that could actually give the Beasley rockers a run for their money. Ever since CBS completely destroyed WYSP and then put it out of its misery, WMMR and WMGK have been the rock destinations in this town.

I don't see a need to put KYW on FM right now. Ratings wise, they're perennially #2 behind WBEB, everyone knows where to find them and as long as car sound systems are equipped with AM receivers, that shouldn't change at all.

Archived