WUAB taking CW away from WBNX

tyrannical bastard

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, EdCTA said:

Industry word is that Cleveland's WBNX is upgrading bandwidth, so very good news for the 2 new channels their adding December 1. 

Probably a brand new encoder to shove those new subchannels on to.  Wonder if they'll bit-starve the "Happy" channel?

(That's the All-Angley, All the time channel save for the required E/I content.)

I could see them dump the main channel down to 720p without too much effect.

• 2 months later...

Bump time...no article out at all about the change, but WUAB is no longer a member of MyNetworkTV as of last week, as Gray took one look at the late night schedule upon the Raycom deal close and decided to put the affiliation agreement on full burn-off status.

MyNet's schedule now airs on WOIO's MeTV subchannel in late night (pre-empting Alfred Hitchcock and Mannix). It also looks like Frangela got the Downgrade of Doom to 2:30am to WUAB among a bunch of sitcoms and infomercials, with Sunny Side Up getting an extension to the full hour.

43 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

You have to wonder when Fox is going to finally pull the plug on this "program service"

Gray has run MyNetworkTV as scheduled and used MeTV to fill programming on many sub-channels of theirs....

And Gray was one of the original backers of MyNetworkTV back when it started in 2006. The few remaining ones they have with a full independent program schedule are basically automated zombie stations, with little or no promotion through the main channels. 

Oh, and some of Grays MeTV/MNTV stations still carry severe weather reports from their mother stations and high school sports events, basically a vestage of their times as full stations.

Many of these MeTV/MNTV stations were started in smaller markets where there were not enough stations (in the analog era) to each have their own network.  A few started VERY late in the UPN era (as .2s), while a lot of them began in 2006 when WB and UPN merged into the CW, and MyNetworkTV got the rest....

Stations like "My 7" WJHG have had a fully independent schedule of syndication that no other station would be able to carry in a market like Panama City.  MeTV ended up on Hoak/Nexstar's WMBB as a full affiliate without having to shave off time for another network.

Funny how Cleveland was one of the last major markets to separate UPN and WB onto separate stations, and now dumping MNTV to the curb once and for all.....

Maybe if WJW goes back to a Fox O&O, they'll run it overnight?

9 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Many of these MeTV/MNTV stations were started in smaller markets where there were not enough stations (in the analog era) to each have their own network.  A few started VERY late in the UPN era (as .2s), while a lot of them began in 2006 when WB and UPN merged into the CW, and MyNetworkTV got the rest....

Stations like "My 7" WJHG have had a fully independent schedule of syndication that no other station would be able to carry in a market like Panama City.  MeTV ended up on Hoak/Nexstar's WMBB as a full affiliate without having to shave off time for another network.

Funny how Cleveland was one of the last major markets to separate UPN and WB onto separate stations, and now dumping MNTV to the curb once and for all.....

Maybe if WJW goes back to a Fox O&O, they'll run it overnight?

Doubtful, Fox hasn't even tried to move the MyNetworkTV rights in San Francisco to KICU in the time since it acquired that station in 2014. Besides, Fox doesn't run any hybrid Fox/MyNetworkTV O&Os anyway, since nearly all of the markets where it owns a station have a separate affiliate or O&O of the service. It would make more sense for WBNX to take a stab at the affiliation.

I wonder if MyNetworkTV has followed the leads of the other networks and gone to a reverse compensation model....

Or if they're old school and stations are PAID to air their programming....

Given the state of the "network", it seems like a barter branding package.....you get a free prime time lineup if you rebrand your station to our image.....

Anyone who knows how they work, feel free to chime in....

5 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

I wonder if MyNetworkTV has followed the leads of the other networks and gone to a reverse compensation model....

Or if they're old school and stations are PAID to air their programming....

Given the state of the "network", it seems like a barter branding package.....you get a free prime time lineup if you rebrand your station to our image.....

Anyone who knows how they work, feel free to chime in....

At launch, MyNet offered an inventory split that was favorable to affiliates and did not ask for reverse comp. I believe it was nine minutes per hour for the station, Fox sold the other five (This led to Sinclair aligning with MyNet during the arms race of summer 2006...CW offered only three minutes in prime time plus reverse comp). I believe now with their programming service model, they offer half the inventory to the studio of whatever show they're airing and the other half to the station. They allegedly don't pay for the shows... it's all barter.

There's another interesting question... MyNet itself is structured as a joint venture between 20th TV and FTS. 20th is going to Disney. What does that mean for MyNet?

On 2/5/2019 at 3:20 PM, CRThell said:

At launch, MyNet offered an inventory split that was favorable to affiliates and did not ask for reverse comp. I believe it was nine minutes per hour for the station, Fox sold the other five (This led to Sinclair aligning with MyNet during the arms race of summer 2006...CW offered only three minutes in prime time plus reverse comp). I believe now with their programming service model, they offer half the inventory to the studio of whatever show they're airing and the other half to the station. They allegedly don't pay for the shows... it's all barter.

There's another interesting question... MyNet itself is structured as a joint venture between 20th TV and FTS. 20th is going to Disney. What does that mean for MyNet?

Well, the CW is a joint venture between Warner Bros. and CBS....so Disney could keep this charade on the air a little longer with "New Fox".

I'm amazed this has lasted beyond 2016.  With the spectrum auction come and gone, and that both networks have outlasted UPN & WB, why is MyNetworkTV still around?!?!?!?

16 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

With the spectrum auction come and gone, and that both networks have outlasted UPN & WB, why is MyNetworkTV still around?!?!?!?

Because for the stations, it's 2 hours of that they don't have to program themselves, and enough stations have signed up to make it viable. What else are the stations going to show in primetime? The days of The 8:00 Movie are long gone...

I don't mean to put any speculation on here but...

If WBNX was to be sold, which of the two would be a nice fit for a duopoly for WBNX to fit in with? WKYC or WEWS? Only those two because WJW already airs a lot of news on its main channel and will not likely move it and WOIO already has a sister in WUAB.

Archived