WUAB taking CW away from WBNX

tyrannical bastard

It begins July 16th. WUAB's 9pm news is going away and the 10pm news will be an hour once again. MyNetworkTV will stay after hours, and WBNX will revert to independent status.

https://tvnewscheck.com/article/top-news/wuab-clevelands-new-cw-affiliate/

As for WBNX and what will happen to it, that's for the speculatron.......

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to their public file (which only has a list of the contracts), The CW signed a 15-year affiliation agreement with WBNX in 2006 at launch. It was to end in September 2021.

I found KOCB's contract from August 14, 2006. It contains these provisions for termination:

-Assignment or transfer of affiliation without network approval (30 days notice)

-Change of technical parameters of station that makes the station "of materially less value to The CW"

-Bankruptcy of one or both parties (30 days notice)

-Breach of contract by either party (45 days notice)

-Cessation of operations of the network (6 months notice in the 2015 contract for Sinclair, 9 months in the original 2006 version)

It begins July 16th. WUAB's 9pm news is going away and the 10pm news will be an hour once again. MyNetworkTV will stay after hours from 11pm-1am...

According to WUAB's schedule page, a third subchannel is being lit up on that spectrum with an MNTV logo next to it, so it may not be getting the dual network treatment. And the Cleveland.com story said nothing about a late-night move of MyNet (neither did TVN). Are we actually going to see WBNX just plain cease to exist and their contracts move to this third subchannel?

WBNX has a lot of syndication inventory, so it's very possible "CLE 43" got it at a fire sale price to satisfy the creditors.

Historically, WUAB benefited from the demise of WKBF (now WQHS) and later, when the reincarnated WCLQ became WQHS and 24/7 Home shopping, WBNX got most of their shows....

Then again, if that's the case, three channels on WOIO's spectrum is going to look like garbage....

According to WUAB's schedule page, a third subchannel is being lit up on that spectrum with an MNTV logo next to it, so it may not be getting the dual network treatment. And the Cleveland.com story said nothing about a late-night move of MyNet (neither did TVN). Are we actually going to see WBNX just plain cease to exist and their contracts move to this third subchannel?

MyTV is currently cleared from 12:30am to 2:30am on WUAB. That IS late night.

I don’t know why they’d do that unless they have a deal in place to buy the WBNX IP and slap MyTV’s “offerings” in place of the CW.

WBNX has a lot of syndication inventory, so it's very possible "CLE 43" got it at a fire sale price to satisfy the creditors.

Historically, WUAB benefited from the demise of WKBF (now WQHS) and later, when the reincarnated WCLQ became WQHS and 24/7 Home shopping, WBNX got most of their shows....

Kaiser Broadcasting purchased a nominal share in WUAB when WKBF went under, kinda like a token of United Artists’ appreciation for shutting down.

Then again, if that's the case, three channels on WOIO's spectrum is going to look like garbage....

Raycom does have one option available that could enable them a legit triopoly.

Remember that W16DO is still on the block (owner Media-Com shut down W16DO’s simulcaster, WAOH-29 Akron, in the spectrum repack). Oh, and that signal shares the same tower as WBNX...

I hope somebody buys WBNX. Maybe FOX could snag BNX and WJW could be under one roof. I don't know if Scripps would want another station attach to WEWS. Scripps is a hot mess in Cleveland btw, and don't know if TEGNA the station formally known as Gannett would want an attachment with WKYC.

Wow WUAB going to be CW. IMO I would have loved if CBS could have snatched up WUAB as well WKBD in Detroit back in 1994.

Oh well-

Raycom does have one option available that could enable them a legit triopoly.

Remember that W16DO is still on the block (owner Media-Com shut down W16DO’s simulcaster, WAOH-29 Akron, in the spectrum repack). Oh, and that signal shares the same tower as WBNX...

There's also WOIO-LD that would serve as supplemental coverage for the Akron area, especially since WAOH-LD is no more...

It begins July 16th. WUAB's 9pm news is going away and the 10pm news will be an hour once again. MyNetworkTV will stay after hours from 11pm-1am, and WBNX will revert to independent status.

https://tvnewscheck.com/article/top-news/wuab-clevelands-new-cw-affiliate/

As for WBNX and what will happen to it, that's for the speculatron.......

So what will WUAB rebrand as? “CLE 43 the CW”? “CW 43”?

Edit:

WUAB is still WOIO’s b*tch, but at least 43 will get some lube (The CW).

2nd Edit:

Bye bye “CLE43”. Hello “CW43”:

http://m.cleveland19.com/story/38622260/wuab-becomes-cw43-in-cleveland

MyTV is currently cleared from 12:30am to 2:30am on WUAB. That IS late night.

I completely forgot they late-nighted it already, so that's my mistake. I do wonder how long MyNet can continue at this point; they 'released' their fall schedule this week (aka emailed a copy for Deadline to post) and their reruns continue to decline to the point it makes more financial sense to do what WUAB did pre-CW (Family Feud in primetime) than keep going with this facade of a 'programming service' with whatever money split is going on.

What would WUAB even put on the MyNetworkTV channel? That would be weird. I think WOIO/WUAB should just get W16DO and the rights to WBNX's license.

Oh, I posted on the Winston page the new WBNX lineup after the CW leaves. 3pm will be filled with "Dateline" repeats, 8pm with a full hour of "The King of Queens," and two episodes of "Funny You Should Ask" will get a full hour at 9pm. It's entire latenight lineup will either move up, double up, or move around. All on the schedule page of WBNX's website (wbnx.com/schedule).

Keep in mind also that WBNX has rights to a lot of Jack Hanna programming, including every single episode of Animal Adventures. Don't be surprised if that fills up Saturday mornings now that the CW will be on WUAB.

Also, goodbye to WUAB's 9pm newscast, and hello once again to a full hour at 10pm. How will WUAB juggle both Jeff Tanchak and Jason Nicholas doing the weather since Jeff did the 9pm weather and Jason did the 10pm weather.

Two silver linings in this change:

1. Jerry Springer stays on WUAB. His show (through reruns) is moving to The CW this fall.

2. WUAB won't have to air infomercials on Saturday mornings anymore thanks to The CW.

Shame about WBNX. They were one of the strongest WB affiliates in the country, which I assume carried over to their CW tenure.

I wonder if there were financial problems that lead to WBNX losing the CW to WUAB?

I wonder if there were financial problems that lead to WBNX losing the CW to WUAB?

Having an unpaid $3M loan to an energy company, threats of foreclosure and the loss of the Cathedral Buffet (Rev. Angely’s other revenue stream that had spots on WBNX all the time)... all did nothing to help matters.

I won’t be surprised to find out that WBNX failed to pay the bills to the CW.

Having an unpaid $3M loan to an energy company, threats of foreclosure and the loss of the Cathedral Buffet (Rev. Angely’s other revenue stream that had spots on WBNX all the time)... all did nothing to help matters.

I won’t be surprised to find out that WBNX failed to pay the bills to the CW.

I suspect the network terminated the agreement under a bankruptcy clause, then, though I do not see a bankruptcy case anywhere. A breach of contract in some other way may also be the cause.

I suspect the network terminated the agreement under a bankruptcy clause, then, though I do not see a bankruptcy case anywhere. A breach of contract in some other way may also be the cause.

Some Facebook and Twitter posts have said the network has been carried in poor quality lately too (which the station blamed 'on DirecTV' despite the customer not having that service), so that would hit BoC easily if their tech has gone downhill. The CW stayed with WAZE until their dental-flossed translator network finally died, even through their WBDTV and CBS contract disputes for syndicated programming.

Well, the schedule past 7/16 on WBNX is encouraging to their continued survival....

Aside from the syndicated sitcoms at night, it's mostly third rate court shows and other stuff passed over by the others.

I'm surprised they didn't restore The 90 and 9 Club to it's evening timeslot.

But given their future with the industry trends, I doubt they're going to be a standalone, independent station much longer. somebody is going to snatch them up whether it's in market or one of the mega companies....

The only thing I can think of is WBNX sold Raycom the affiliation contract (or what’s left of it) due to possible lack of funds for reverse compensation. IIRC, isn’t reverse compensation the main reason why Raycom initially didn’t take The CW for WUAB or KFVE? The fact that Raycom is ponying up what The CW wants now is surprising.

Two silver linings in this change:

1. Jerry Springer stays on WUAB. His show (through reruns) is moving to The CW this fall.

2. WUAB won't have to air infomercials on Saturday mornings anymore thanks to The CW.

“Jerry Springer” and “silver lining” don’t belong in the same sentence.

“Jerry Springer” and “silver lining” don’t belong in the same sentence.

And had WBNX continued with the CW, they would have probably been stuck with it!

Maybe WBNX pulled a WPGA because they felt the CW programming wasn't family-friendly enough...

(Back in the independent days, they actually edited mild swear words like "god" "hell" and "damn" out of shows.....)

Some Facebook and Twitter posts have said the network has been carried in poor quality lately too (which the station blamed 'on DirecTV' despite the customer not having that service), so that would hit BoC easily if their tech has gone downhill. The CW stayed with WAZE until their dental-flossed translator network finally died, even through their WBDTV and CBS contract disputes for syndicated programming.

Section 9, Delivery, states:

"Affiliate will install a satellite antenna and receiver of sufficient quality, in the exclusive judgment of The CW, to receive a "Network Quality Signal", as defined below, from The CW. Affiliate will also use switches, microwaves and all other transmission equipment necessary to telecast a Network Quality Signal. ... "Network Quality Signal" means the quality, strength, and resolution of picture and sound provided by the broadcast affiliates of ABC, CBS, Fox and NBC in the DMA ... If, in the exclusive judgment of The CW, the picture or sound quality of Station's transmission is insufficient, The CW will provide Affiliate with notice of the deficiency and Affiliate will have thirty (30) [days] to correct such deficiency."

Section 9, Delivery, states:

"Affiliate will install a satellite antenna and receiver of sufficient quality, in the exclusive judgment of The CW, to receive a "Network Quality Signal", as defined below, from The CW. Affiliate will also use switches, microwaves and all other transmission equipment necessary to telecast a Network Quality Signal. ... "Network Quality Signal" means the quality, strength, and resolution of picture and sound provided by the broadcast affiliates of ABC, CBS, Fox and NBC in the DMA ... If, in the exclusive judgment of The CW, the picture or sound quality of Station's transmission is insufficient, The CW will provide Affiliate with notice of the deficiency and Affiliate will have thirty (30) [days] to correct such deficiency."

"Network Quality Signal"???

Since when did we ditch the FCC "Broadcast Standards"?

Forget I asked.

(plonking myself)

i need a hug Ramona.

And had WBNX continued with the CW, they would have probably been stuck with it!

Maybe WBNX pulled a WPGA because they felt the CW programming wasn't family-friendly enough...

(Back in the independent days, they actually edited mild swear words like "god" "hell" and "damn" out of shows.....)

They gave up on that practice (which made for laughable real-time edits on shows like Buffy) back in the early 2000s.

If Ernest Angley wasn’t pushing 97 (his birthday is August 9!) he may as well have continued to have a direct input on the overall operations of the station. But as it is, the station made him money, so he eased up on the censoring and dropped the 10pm “90 and 9 Club” in favor of Friends reruns.

It’s like a church that hosts bingo on a weekly basis.

Archived