WUAB taking CW away from WBNX

tyrannical bastard

If news is being provided by a "Big 3" station during the 7-9 hour, there are some acrobatics due to the fact the main station often has to do the "cut-ins" for the network morning show they're airing, whether they're done live or on tape. Even trickier if there's no alternate studio and/or control room...

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I’ve never seen a duopoly have 7-9am news on a sister station AND 9am news on the “main” station.

Local 12 News - Good Morning Cincinnati at 7:00 a.m. on WSTR Star 64

Local 12 News - Good Morning Cincinnati at 8:00 a.m. on WSTR Star 64

Local 12 News - Good Morning Cincinnati at 9:00 a.m. on WKRC Local 12

There you go.

If news is being provided by a "Big 3" station during the 7-9 hour, there are some acrobatics due to the fact the main station often has to do the "cut-ins" for the network morning show they're airing, whether they're done live or on tape. Even trickier if there's no alternate studio and/or control room...

Unless you're a Youngstown station, in which case you just record the 5-7am newscast and then air it at 7-9am on the Fox (or MyNet) affiliate. :p

I can't recall the last time he's even appeared on any of his shows. His associate pastor has been "guest hosting" for the past few years.

Maybe the hairpiece is being cleaned by the same place Gib Shanley went to....

...or got shipped off to the same island as "Fido"

I'll say this, he's not the young whipper snapper he used to be....

That all brings to mind this classic Bizarre sketch with John Byner as a pitch-perfect Ernest:

• 2 weeks later...

Despite not being able to afford The CW, WBNX is still able to add strong syndicated programming. In September, the station is adding Rachael Ray's talk show and Chicago P.D. I wonder if the pickups were made before the CW loss.

Despite not being able to afford The CW, WBNX is still able to add strong syndicated programming. In September, the station is adding Rachael Ray's talk show and Chicago P.D. I wonder if the pickups were made before the CW loss.

Probably were. Stations usually buy syndicated programming months in advance.

Probably were. Stations usually buy syndicated programming months in advance.

However...

Stations can and do buy programming anytime of the year based on availability. If you want to order a run of Rachel Ray at 2am in the morning, I can promise you somebody will take your call.

Has anyone watched the CW network programming on WUAB since Monday? I got to see Robert Irvine's show, and some of Whose Line Is It Anyway? and they both look good on the station. I'm sure the numbers will be up a little bit for the 10pm news now that there's better lead-ins.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who watches Whose Line? on CW. Loved that show when it was on ABC as well as the reruns on ABC Family, and the current CW version is just as good minus the banter with Drew Carey. I'm sure the performers do okay for themselves, but other than that it wasn't that expensive to produce.

This change has an effect in another market, at least for DirectTV customers: in the Wheeling, WV market. The only local CW station available there is WBWO, only available on Comcast. DirectTV has pulled in WBNX as the default CW affiliation. That changed recently (found out today) when they replaced WBNX with WUAB.

Which means that, as of right now, the channel lineup for that market has a MNTV affiliation available, as if people might care, but that's half of a battle. The local MNTV offering is WTRF-DT2, which also offers the only other 10PM newscast for that market (the other one being WTOV's Fox affiliation...which was caught up in that whole Sinclair business with the Scriptgate thing, since they were included in the video showing that). Right now, Directv refuses to carry that subchannel for WTRF, even though they carry their CBS and ABC channels. I called twice about it to DTV and only got a backwards reason that tried to tell me that WTRF is not letting DTV carry that channel. Really weird seeing that two other channels they carry are on the service, and you'd think that WTRF would want their newscasts to reach as many people as possible, especially knowing that Nexstar is in direct competition with Sinclair, and both those companies have a foothold in that market right now (seriously, if someone could PM me telling me of what's going on with DTV and WTRF-DT2, that would be grand).

As for WBNX, I remember living in Orrville, OH from 96 to 99, and getting the Cleveland stations through the cable company there. Remember when they first got the WB affiliation, and watching both Fox Kids and Kids WB on there. They had a HUGE amount of kids programming on that station, which was sort of like what I remembered WPGH in Pittsburgh being back in the early 90s (I moved around a lot)..I also remember them having this neon billboard sign they rented out when the affiliation switch was made near one of the beltways heading into Cleveland (was near the IX Center). Sad to see how far that station has fallen, but then again, seeing how much controversy Ernest is in right now, I can't say I'm too surprised.

WUAB getting The CW would mean that we have two duopolies within some miles of each other that have a CBS/CW affiliation (KDKA and WPCW in Pittsburgh...the irony of two rival sports cities have the same type of duopoly in terms of affiliation).

WUAB getting The CW would mean that we have two duopolies within some miles of each other that have a CBS/CW affiliation (KDKA and WPCW in Pittsburgh...the irony of two rival sports cities have the same type of duopoly in terms of affiliation).

And then you have the other end of Lake Erie with Detroit's WWJ and WKBD.

CW has had a lot of affiliate switches and many times they had to go down to either a sub-channel or smaller rated station in the last few years. The Cleveland switch is nothing new. Some would rather go independent, like what WGN did a couple years ago, than continue on with the present course of the CW in which the core audience is streaming instead of watching OTA. It's already old news that some station group owners have complained and been complaining, but the CW seems hellbent on their online offerings. Who can blame them if that's the demo audience they're targeting. Reportedly, Chicago's WGN owner (presently Tribune) negotiated for a year before throwing in the towel and going independent after some 21 years with CW and WB prior. Besides, as an independent that was once an affiliate, WGN only had to program 2 hours weeknight, plus Saturday mornings and the 1 daytime talk show. Owners have to ultimately determine if giving up a lot of promotion time to a network for such a small percentage of their overall lineup is worth it compared to ad sales that could gain otherwise. Some stations give up 500+ spots per month to networks. That's a lot of potential ad dollars. Reruns of The Jerry Springer show being added to the CW for the next 2 years probably doesn't help matters, but they probably didn't have to invest much. There'll be a lot more network and owner shuffling in many markets as investors seek duopolies and the repack becomes reality. Then, with ATSC 3.0 and it's modulation allowing mobility viewing as well as other benefits, spectrum owners will actually compete with AT&T and Verizon for more ad dollars. 8K broadcasts may seem a long way off for US markets, but as they say "time flies". TV manufacturers are already heading that way. Samsung's 8K TV launch is this month. When 4K was first talked about, there were some media journalists saying that it wasn't worth upgrading your TV, but as we all know it happened anyway.

• 4 weeks later...
I'm glad I'm not the only one who watches Whose Line? on CW. Loved that show when it was on ABC as well as the reruns on ABC Family, and the current CW version is just as good minus the banter with Drew Carey. I'm sure the performers do okay for themselves, but other than that it wasn't that expensive to produce.

Hate to drag this off topic but I can't stand the current incarnation of Whose Line? I wanted to like it, I really did, but Aisha Tyler is an awful hostess and she doesn't even play along with the group which makes her rather useless to the show's dynamic. She is no Drew Carey. Also I hate her intro, "And I'm Aisha Tyler... LETS MAKE SOME STUFF UP!!!" Like seriously? Drew Carey's was better. "And I'm your host Drew Carey, come on down let's have some fun."

Meanwhile, The CW tries and relies HEAVILY on "guest stars" from CW series and Warner Bros. shows. It's almost like shameless promotion in a sketch comedy show on EVERY episode and it's painful. I mean, sure, bring them out for one skit per episode, but don't bring them out three or four times per episode. That's just being greedy.

Meanwhile, The CW tries and relies HEAVILY on "guest stars" from CW series and Warner Bros. shows. It's almost like shameless promotion in a sketch comedy show on EVERY episode and it's painful. I mean, sure, bring them out for one skit per episode, but don't bring them out three or four times per episode. That's just being greedy.

Can't help you if you dont like Aisha, but this season has been virtually guest-free, so it's been so much better.

Anywho...

Hate to drag this off topic but I can't stand the current incarnation of Whose Line? I wanted to like it, I really did, but Aisha Tyler is an awful hostess and she doesn't even play along with the group which makes her rather useless to the show's dynamic. She is no Drew Carey. Also I hate her intro, "And I'm Aisha Tyler... LETS MAKE SOME STUFF UP!!!" Like seriously? Drew Carey's was better. "And I'm your host Drew Carey, come on down let's have some fun."

Drew would’ve come back to host if he didn’t have his SiriusXM radio show and Price is Right duties.

I didn't say it was perfect. I do wish there was more of a dynamic between the host and performers, but it's still Ryan, Colin, and Wayne doing improv and most of the old Whose Line? games. Incidentally, the one guest star I saw this season was former Whose Line? performer Chip Esten.

Now back to regularly scheduled programming...

• 3 months later...
6 hours ago, CLETVFan said:

That is an ugly bug!

And speaking of WBNX, RabbitEars.Info is listing two new subchannels for the station coming soon.

55.5 Start TV

55.6 Decades

This is big for the station.  I wonder what else is on the horizon for the station.

Jesus Christ! I can't imagine WBNX having good picture quality at this rate unless Angley ponied up for the latest equipment. And even then...

It's not like they have any network programming anymore that should run in HD.  Even that seemed to take an eternity, getting it LOOOOONG after most channels went full-HD with everything.

A certain place would freeze over if any of Angley's (or "guest host" Chris Machamer's) shows ever go HD, or even widescreen....

Archived