KNBC and KTTV cutting back

SFTV

NBC 4 is going 30 minutes at Noon.

FOX 11 slashes 10am show.

http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2018/7/10/sources-to-la-stations-will-cut-back-on-news

The Fox 11 move makes sense. With news from 4:30-10am and 12-1pm it was overkill to have 10-10:30 (although they should consider expanding to 4am). Expect Wendy to move to 10am and The Real to 11am to fall in line with most of the other Fox O&Os.

Makes me wonder if “California Live” will air on KNSD and/or KNTV. Otherwise they could have went with “Los Angeles Live” or “SoCal Live”.

Makes me wonder if “California Live” will air on KNSD and/or KNTV.

Yes. This means that KNSD and KNTV's midday news will also be shortened to a half-hour. However, this won't show up until January 2019.

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/California-Live-A-New-Lifestyle-and-Entertainment-Show-to-Premiere-on-NBC-Owned-Stations-in-California-in-January-2019-484641711.html

As far as KTTV is concerned, I think it means they concede defeat to KTLA. No point in KTTV wasting resources on a 30minute rehash of the morning news/GDLA. The few times I did watch, there wasn't any value.

As far as KTTV is concerned, I think it means they concede defeat to KTLA. No point in KTTV wasting resources on a 30minute rehash of the morning news/GDLA. The few times I did watch, there wasn't any value.

Conceding defeat to KTLA was no surprise anyway. KTLA probably already beat KTTV at 10:00 a.m. once they added that hour and I think they still beat KTTV in all timeslots.

Conceding defeat to KTLA was no surprise anyway. KTLA probably already beat KTTV at 10:00 a.m. once they added that hour and I think they still beat KTTV in all timeslots.

I would be curious, though, to see how the new-ish KTLA 11am hour fares against the much more established KABC 11am news. I remember watching KABCs midday news at 11:30am with Gene Gleeson and Johnny Mountain.

Yes. This means that KNSD and KNTV's midday news will also be shortened to a half-hour. However, this won't show up until January 2019.

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/California-Live-A-New-Lifestyle-and-Entertainment-Show-to-Premiere-on-NBC-Owned-Stations-in-California-in-January-2019-484641711.html

Very interesting. Sounds like they’re bringing back some of the stuff NBC California Non Stop. Anyone know where the studio might be? The KNBC set doesn’t exactly scream soft entertainment show and that small interview set they occasionally use isn’t big enough. Could they use a redressed Access Hollywood set or the larger studio that’s in the NBC News Bureau?

Additionally they make it sound like the features will include stuff from the Bay Area or San Diego. Will they really go through the expense of getting a guest (say a cooking segment) to come to LA? San Diego they could drive but San Francisco they’d likely need to stay overnight. So I assume there will be inserts or interviews from the local stations.

I would be curious, though, to see how the new-ish KTLA 11am hour fares against the much more established KABC 11am news. I remember watching KABCs midday news at 11:30am with Gene Gleeson and Johnny Mountain.

How about Gene Gleeson on KFMB in 1975...before he was at KGTV...before KABC.

@00:16 I'm digging on those pants Alfalfa!

If knbc wanted to air that new show, they could and also expand on their newscast to include putting an hour of news from 12-1pm, while keeping the 11-1130am newscast.

As for kttv, if the ratings are low for that newscast T 10, maybe they should move it to kcop if they don't want to lose the political ads.

If knbc wanted to air that new show, they could and also expand on their newscast to include putting an hour of news from 12-1pm, while keeping the 11-1130am newscast.

As for kttv, if the ratings are low for that newscast T 10, maybe they should move it to kcop if they don't want to lose the political ads.

Sigh...

They are removing news programming that is clearly not working financially for them. Moving it to a different time or channel will not likely help. If nobody is watching news on KTTV at 10am, why would that be different if it aired on KCOP. They're missing out on political ad revenue because nobody is watching to begin with.

I would like that except there's NO WAY KNBC will get rid of Access Live, nor Steve! or Ellen.

Sigh...

They are removing news programming that is clearly not working financially for them. Moving it to a different time or channel will not likely help. If nobody is watching news on KTTV at 10am, why would that be different if it aired on KCOP. They're missing out on political ad revenue because nobody is watching to begin with.

Plus...

You have to have the bird in the air during the show available for breakers.

NOT sitting on the pad at Van Nuys airport or Whiteman Field.

That's north of $1600 per hour.

Other stations like ktla and kabc are able to afford to put their news helicopter in the air as they broadcast the most hours of news each day. So, why would knbc not be able to do the same thing with an additional half hour of news each day. Instead of being just an hour, they have an hour and a half, (11-11:30, 12-1pm), plus the new show (11:30am-12pm). If the whole point of airing that new show on three stations is to save the station money, why don't they just remove the midday report and air syndicated reruns of network shows owned by the network?

I think that kttv should have put back news on the weekend mornings a long time ago. A few years ago, they had news, but removed it because of low ratings. So, instead of airing news, they air informercial or reruns of shows and or movies, unless sports programming airs during those hours.

I also think that they should have expanded their news to kcop instead of cutting back the news. Would it not be cheaper to air news than buying syndicated programs to air during those hours where kcop would be able to air news. It just seems awkward for a station in Los Angeles to not have any news programming.

Other stations like ktla and kabc are able to afford to put their news helicopter in the air as they broadcast the most hours of news each day. So, why would knbc not be able to do the same thing with an additional half hour of news each day. Instead of being just an hour, they have an hour and a half, (11-11:30, 12-1pm), plus the new show (11:30am-12pm). If the whole point of airing that new show on three stations is to save the station money, why don't they just remove the midday report and air syndicated reruns of network shows owned by the network?

I think that kttv should have put back news on the weekend mornings a long time ago. A few years ago, they had news, but removed it because of low ratings. So, instead of airing news, they air informercial or reruns of shows and or movies, unless sports programming airs during those hours.

I also think that they should have expanded their news to kcop instead of cutting back the news. Would it not be cheaper to air news than buying syndicated programs to air during those hours where kcop would be able to air news. It just seems awkward for a station in Los Angeles to not have any news programming.

Again, KNBC won't get rid of Access Live (produced by KNBC), Steve (located in L.A.) and Ellen (also in L.A.) so good luck with going 11:00-11:30 and 12:00-1:00pm because it ain't happening.

Either move Access Live to 4.2 or put their expanded newscast on 4.2. It will probably get better ratings than whatever's on cozi tv during that hour.

Why are you so obsessed with the idea of these stations shoving more news into failing time slots? Especially shoving it onto duopoly stations or subchannels?

For the umpteenth time, TV stations exist to make money, not to air as much local news as possible.

Shoving news into weird times on diginets or duopoly stations will do the exact opposite of make money. Replacing reruns of Maude and Golden Girls at 1 in the afternoon with local news will not be a ratings success.

Believe it or not, but most television station general managers are not complete bumbling morons who can't figure out how to do their job. They will do whatever works to make money. If the key to financial success was to program news on a .2 at 1 in the afternoon, they would have done it by now.

Plus unlike KTTV KNBC can likely switch quickly to news mode should it warrant. While KTTVs staff and anchors could have gone home.

Other stations like ktla and kabc are able to afford to put their news helicopter in the air as they broadcast the most hours of news each day. So, why would knbc not be able to do the same thing with an additional half hour of news each day.

KNBC I think is heavily invested in their helicopters. They doubled up and feature them both on newscasts allowing them different areas. News Chopper 4 Alpha typically has the female reporter and Bravo has the male reporter.

KABC supposedly now needs approval to launch their helicopter from the ND or AND. Or atleast that was the memo a few weeks ago. But I’ve noticed less push alerts for helicopter chases. They promoted three at one point (when KNBC launched their second) -one only in full livery the other just had small badges likely they have them on reserve or did - it probably costs a decent amount of money just to have one on reserve.

Again, KNBC won't get rid of Access Live (produced by KNBC), Steve (located in L.A.) and Ellen (also in L.A.) so good luck with going 11:00-11:30 and 12:00-1:00pm because it ain't happening.

All the shows mentioned except Ellen (which I think has a long term deal for NBC O&Os) are produced by either KNBC - Access and Access Live (per their copyright) and Steve is filmed on the Universal lot and distributed by NBC (probably they get the show for a song as a distributor).

I think Extra is the only show that could be expendable. Despite being filmed in Universal Studios (I think City Walk). It’s distributed by Warner Bros but could be tied to Ellen however not all NBC O&Os carry it. I’m not sure how much that show costs or brings in as it isn’t the A list type of entertainment shows compared to ET or Access. A 7pm newscast could be done rehashing the 6pm stories and bring in the political money.

Archived