Does KSL no longer sign off once a week?

DENDude

Just wondering, does KSL-TV not sign off anymore on Sunday Mornings?

I was in St. George, UT last weekend and was watching tv around 3am and they were airing an infomercial for music cd's from the lds church.

Maybe you were watching a cable version that doesn't sign off when the broadcast station does.

So do they have a super secret sign-off just for the OTA's?

Does God see snow... or just a blue screen like the rest of us?

So do they have a super secret sign-off just for the OTA's?

Does God see snow... or just a blue screen like the rest of us?

WETA (PBS in DC) did until recently. That and having seperate schedule for their SD and HD feeds - cable 26 serves as their primary feed (OTA 26.4) and HD Cable (26.1).

For the longest time WDAY/WDAZ simply ran a slide with the station logos (and that of KBMY/KMCY) during downtime on a nightly basis. Not sure if they still do.

I can't think of any other stations that still closedown for non-techincal reasons. The conversion to digital made it obsolete.

I can't think of any other stations that still closedown for non-techincal reasons. The conversion to digital made it obsolete.

That and transmitters don’t need to be manned and remotely controlled.

Doesn’t KSL have a network of translators some of which may be analog?

There are a few PBS members that have become so cash strapped they now turn off OTA transmitters at night. A few here in the Midwest I can think of:

• Iowa Public Television, off air Midnight-5 AM
  • Network Knowledge, off air 11 PM-6:30 AM
  • WDSE/WRPT, off air 1 AM-6:30 AM
  • KSMQ, off air Midnight-6 AM

• NET in Nebraska shut off their transmitters overnight as recently as last year, but I couldn't find confirmation that they still do. I would guess they still do though.

Except for WDSE/WRPT and KSMQ, cable systems receiving these stations via fiber receive a 24/7 fiber feed. Satellite providers pick up the signals OTA, so the transmitter shutdowns affect them too.

That and transmitters don’t need to be manned and remotely controlled.

Q:Why did you need to man transmitters way back then????

A: Because in the olden days you needed to have somebody babysit the transmitter because the things were power hogs,..and they could become a BIT unstable if left alone.

Stuff could catch fire or blow up....lights on the tower could go out and planes could hit it.

Things are a bit more stable now.

Archived