Entercom to pull its stations' streams off TuneIn

tw-804

Anybody here use the TuneIn app or its website?

According to RadioInsight, Entercom CEO David Field announced that the company will pull its stations' streams off TuneIn. The legacy Entercom stations will exit TuneIn on July 6 with the former CBS Radio stations following on August 1st. Radio.com will become the exclusive digital platform for all of Entercom's stations. Plus, all Entercom stations will identify on-air as “a Radio.com station”.

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/169113/entercom-to-pull-streams-off-of-tunein-exclusively-use-radio-com/

Thoughts?

Ugh, that blows. I use my Amazon Echo to listen to stations all the time and the ex-CBS stations all use TuneIn. Hopefully they enable Radio.com for it like iHeart enables iHeartRadio for its stations.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually don't mind this, because I purchased TuneIn Pro way back when under the promise it wasn't going to be bogged down with ads and junk, that I'd just be able to listen to stations.

Now, it's a mess. Station searching is a chore. It breaks down often. Sometimes the app doesn't even open and I have to restart my phone just to listen to a radio station. And I have absolutely zero interest in using it as a podcatcher or paying for premium content. I can't even get my hometown stations any longer through TuneIn, because they changed their streams and TuneIn has non-existent customer service.

Meanwhile, the Radio.com app has become better to use out of CBS's hands (I welcome that I no longer have to hear 10 Big Bang Theory ads in an hour as commercial replacements listening to WBBM any longer!), and most of my favorite area stations are Entercom/ex-CBS anyways, so it's really no big deal to me, and they still have 'send to Chromecast/Google Home or Apple TV' options in the app. I do hope though, that this is another step to kill individual station apps for Entercom; they're all universally horrible.

See, CBS owned radio.com for almost a decade and never really utilized it at all, in comparison to Clear Channel using iHeartRadio (to the point where it became the parent companies' name). But to be fair, they did more with it than Cumulus did with the rdio dud. Entercom was smart to get that domain with the CBS Radio acquisition.

I do hope though, that this is another step to kill individual station apps for Entercom; they're all universally horrible.

Entercom is taking the iHeart route with their streams, so there's no reason to have the individual apps stick around.

Archived