Gray/Raycom Merger Thread

In other words, KFVE's local news and programming will more likely be on KHNL 13.4 or on a different digital subchannel where KGMB or KHNL could either drop This TV (5.2), Escape (5.3) or Grit (13.3) to make room for the new KFVE or whatever they decide to call the new station since MyTV will be dropped.

What's more confusing is the article says that KFVE will no longer be a MyNetworkTV affiliate. With Raycom keeping the KFVE's other programs (and the callsign), will that include the MyNet shows? Or will Nexstar get the MyNet shows and move it to the CW stream. Right now the MyNet shows are aired after midnight every weeknight on KFVE.

That's okay. KFVE airs Hawaiian-related programming at 7:00 p.m. every night and airs lots of it on weekends, especially on Sundays. KFVE will be all right.

I think KHON will use the KFVE/KGMD/KGMV licenses to become The CW outlet and change the callsigns there.

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In other words, KFVE's local news and programming will more likely be on KHNL 13.4 or on a different digital subchannel where KGMB or KHNL could either drop This TV (5.2), Escape (5.3) or Grit (13.3) to make room for the new KFVE or whatever they decide to call the new station since MyTV will be dropped.

That's okay. KFVE airs Hawaiian-related programming at 7:00 p.m. every night and airs lots of it on weekends, especially on Sundays. KFVE will be all right.

I think KHON will use the KFVE/KGMD/KGMV licenses to become The CW outlet and change the callsigns there.

Since Nexstar talked about "expansion", I wonder if KHON will put extra newscasts on "Hawaii's CW"? Maybe a 7pm, with The CW moving to 8-10pm?

The KFVE Paperwork Is Up!!!

Nexstar is buying KFVE & the satellites for $6.5M.

But if this can't get anymore confusing, there are two pre-closing agreements related to this deal:

• There's a time brokerage agreement (TBA) between the owner of KFVE (HITV) & Nexstar, which began last week (11/1). As said on the transaction description, because of Nexstar's TBA, Raycom's existing shared service agreement of KFVE have been terminated.
  • But there is a "Temporary Transition Services Agreement" between Raycom & Nexstar, in which Raycom will continue to provide certain services to KFVE for a period of time, until that agreement is terminated.

As stated on p.2 of the TBA (p.5 on the PDF):

2. Station Facilities. During the Term, Owner [HITV] will make the Station’s television broadcasting transmission facilities available to Broker [Nexstar] for broadcast on the Station of the programs selected by Broker and advertising/commercial announcements sold by Broker in accordance with the terms and conditions hereof, which may originate from the Station’s studio, Broker’s studio or from other sources contracted for by Broker or Owner. In addition, Owner will make available to Broker, at no additional cost, during the Term, exclusive use (other than Owner’s own use for the Station pursuant to this Agreement) of all of Owner’s studio and production facilities and other assets, for Broker’s use in its activities pursuant to this Agreement. Owner acknowledges that Broker is a party to that certain Temporary Transition Services Agreement, dated as of October 30, 2018 (the “TTSA”), by and between Broker and KHNL/KGMB, LLC (“Raycom”). Pursuant to the TTSA, Raycom shall provide certain services to the Station until the termination of the TTSA (the “TTSA Services”). For the avoidance of doubt, during the period (if any) between the termination of the TTSA until the Closing, Broker hereby agrees that it shall provide the TTSA Services to Owner for no additional cost and Broker shall pay any and all amounts due to Raycom during the Term.. Owner is an express third party beneficiary of the TTSA Services pursuant to the terms and subject to the conditions of the TTSA.

The KFVE Paperwork Is Up!!!

Nexstar is buying KFVE & the satellites for $6.5M.

But if this can't get anymore confusing, there are two pre-closing agreements related to this deal. There's a time brokerage agreement (TBA) between the owner of KFVE (HITV) & Nexstar, which began last week (11/1). But there's also "Temporary Transition Services Agreement" between Nexstar & Raycom, in which Raycom will provide certain services to KFVE, until that agreement is terminated. The TTSA started two days prior to the start of the TBA (10/30).

As stated on p.2 of the TBA (p.5 on the PDF):

Huh? o_O

We need the shortened understandable TLDR (too long, don't read) version.

Huh? o_O

We need the shortened understandable TLDR (too long, don't read) version.

I'm guessing the short version is that Raycom and Nexstar will jointly manage KFVE until the deal is completed. So don't be surprised if KFVE is airing "Hawaii's CW" on one subchannel and "K5" on another.

I'm guessing the short version is that Raycom and Nexstar will jointly manage KFVE until the deal is completed. So don't be surprised if KFVE is airing "Hawaii's CW" on one subchannel and "K5" on another.

Much better and interesting. Thank you!

And here's another Gray M&A. This was posted last month (10/5).

Although this is unrelated to its Raycom merger, it might as well be related.

Gray wants to give up four of its already-owned LPs in Panama City (W16CX-D & WIDM-LD) & Enterprise, Alabama (WGEI-LD & WFRW-LD) to Edge Spectrum, Inc. in a "like-kind exchange".

In return, Gray wants Edge's LP, W36EG-D. In Albany, Georgia.

It's the same Albany, Georgia where Gray's trying to re-acquire its first owned TV station, WALB.

What's even more strange, just a few days ago, the Albany LP (which is yet to be on the air) has already changed its callsign to WGCW-LD.

Now, it may not mean anything right now. I mean, look how long Gray kept those unused LPs in Panama City & outside Dothan.

But if at any point they decide to light up this LP, and given those new call letters, could this LP become the new CW affiliate? Right now the CW affiliation is airing on the station that they're selling to Marquee Broadcasting (WSWG). And that station's signal doesn't reach Albany proper. The proposed LP's signal does serve the immediate part of Albany.

No reason to beyond conflicts. They are still far below the cap.

Whatever doesn't get divested due to conflicts is likely staying put with Gray after the deal is done.

I was referring to a rumor I heard somewhere that Gray might look to get out of bigger markets (i.e. Cleveland) and focus on smaller markets once the merger is completed.

I was referring to a rumor I heard somewhere that Gray might look to get out of bigger markets (i.e. Cleveland) and focus on smaller markets once the merger is completed.

Raycom never really seemed like they could handle a market like Cleveland. It has taken a lot of money and poaching of established talent to even make WOIO a remote factor in the ratings. Now that Raycom is slashing and burning what is left will make the going much more difficult for a company like Gray.

It would be the opportune time for CBS to swoop in for WOIO and WUAB, now that they have both networks under their wings.

How was WOIO under Malrite? Didn't they have to appropriate WUAB's news department because the agreement with CBS was signed at the last minute?

What little I know of Malrite as a TV operator is that it was difficult for them - they were primarily a radio company, and the philosophies of radio and TV were totally different.

How was WOIO under Malrite? Didn't they have to appropriate WUAB's news department because the agreement with CBS was signed at the last minute?

What little I know of Malrite as a TV operator is that it was difficult for them - they were primarily a radio company, and the philosophies of radio and TV were totally different.

Not only that, Malrite ran mainly turn-key Fox affiliates that ran no news whatsoever. They built WXIX's news operation from the ground up but other than that, they were no different from Sinclair's early years.

• 4 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, broadcastfan9751 said:

The DOJ has approved the Gray/Raycom merger, conditioned on the divestitures.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/justice-department-requires-divestitures-resolve-antitrust-concerns-gray-s-merger-raycom

From Delrahim:

“Without the required divestitures, Gray’s merger with Raycom threatens serious competitive harm to cable subscribers and small businesses,” ---- “I am pleased, however, that we have been able to reach a speedy and complete resolution of the Division’s concerns, thanks in part to the parties’ commitment to engage in good faith settlement talks from the outset of our investigation.”

See what happens when you get along & being upfront with the regulators, and not act like bullies and stepping on their toes, telling them to "Sue Me". Gray didn't have to stall for nine months to post their divestiture plan and get the third parties lined up (it only took TWO months). This is what happens when you play by the rules.

Although I thought this deal would've been completed by Thanksgiving, the length of this deal would be damn near on-par with the length of Gannett/Belo five years ago, should this deal be completed by Christmas. They still have to get the greenlight from Pai.

48 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

From Delrahim:

See what happens when you get along & being upfront with the regulators, and not act like bullies and stepping on their toes, telling them to "Sue Me". Gray didn't have to stall for nine months to post their divestiture plan and get the third parties lined up (it only took TWO months). This is what happens when you play by the rules.

Although I thought this deal would've been completed by Thanksgiving, the length of this deal would be damn near on-par with the length of Gannett/Belo five years ago, should this deal be completed by Christmas. They still have to get the greenlight from Pai.

Moral of this story: DON’T LIE TO THE FEDS.

Your acquisition will be a lot easier.

What's also posted on the order, WDFX & WFXG will keep their current news share agreements for one year after the deal is complete. 

WDFX airs a 9pm show produced out of WSFA, while WFXG airs a 10pm show produced out of WTOC. 

The proposed Final Judgment also contains provisions that will ensure the efficient operation of the Divestiture Stations as they transition to new ownership and create new arrangements for their news programming. In the case of Lockwood as the acquirer of WFXG and/or WDFX-TV, Paragraph IV(I) of the proposed Final Judgment provides that, at the option of Lockwood, Defendants shall enter into an agreement with Lockwood to provide to WFXG and/or WDFX-TV substantially the same local news programming as the respective stations currently receive from other stations owned or operated by Raycom for a period of one year after the sale of WFXG and/or WDFX-TV, respectively, to Lockwood, with such agreement being subject to extensions for a total of up to one additional one year, at the approval of the United States, and at the option of Lockwood.

WFXG currently receives a portion of its news programming from Raycom’s WTOC-TV in Savannah, Georgia. WDFX-TV currently receives its news programming from Raycom’s WSFA in Montgomery, Alabama. Continuation of the provision of this news programming to WFXG and WDFX-TV for one year would provide Lockwood with enough time to take control of these stations, and make and implement plans for the replacement of this news programming with other sources of news. Allowing these transitional arrangements to be extended for up to one year provides a safety mechanism, in case Lockwood has not fully implemented its plans to replace the Defendants’ news by the end of the one-year period

15 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

From Delrahim:

See Sinclair, it's not that hard. But of course, they had to make it hard for the feds.

Anyway, given that the DOJ has already given the deal the greenlight, I expect the FCC to follow suit within the next week or so

That wasn't too hard. I'd expect this to close by year's end.

I honestly don't expect the news share to last that long. I would think Nexstar will knock on Lockwood's doors, since their standalone ABC affiliates in those markets would probably love more news opportunities in the morning and prime time, even if it is only a news share agreement.

16 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

From Delrahim:

5 1/2 months after the Sinclair attempt to acquire Tribune, they were still fighting and whining, saying they wouldn't even have to sell a single station. This deal - almost equally as large - will likely be closed and complete in that amount of time.

1 hour ago, GoldenShine9 said:

5 1/2 months after the Sinclair attempt to acquire Tribune, they were still fighting and whining, saying they wouldn't even have to sell a single station. This deal - almost equally as difference - will likely be closed and complete in that amount of time.

That's the difference between being faithful and truthful in the divestiture process (Gray) and being deceitful and lie to the feds (Sinclair)

18 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

What's also posted on the order, WDFX & WFXG will keep their current news share agreements for one year after the deal is complete. 

WDFX airs a 9pm show produced out of WSFA, while WFXG airs a 10pm show produced out of WTOC. 

So this could mean that Lockwood would start up (or continue) news departments for WFXG (basically expand from just morning) and WDFX (which would need to start from scratch).

Either that of WFXG goes all alone and Lockwood continues the 1-year extensions for WDFX.

Archived