Gray/Raycom Merger Thread

Follow up in Hawaii. KHNL/KGMB announced KFVE's new channel designations.

BUIBDPAQA5HRTIYT3VXFZNNIXY.png

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

Follow up in Hawaii. KHNL/KGMB announced KFVE's new channel designations.

BUIBDPAQA5HRTIYT3VXFZNNIXY.png

Legit question: Where will "K5" and KHII be on Dish and Directv?

1 hour ago, NEOMatrix said:

Legit question: Where will "K5" and KHII be on Dish and Directv?

On the "K5" release, they didn't announce the allotments on DirecTV or Dish. On the KHII release, it said this:

With a commitment to local programming, KHON welcomes KHII to the Nexstar broadcast family in Hawaii on January 28. The new station will occupy channel 5 and 1005 on the Spectrum, Hawaiian Telcom, Dish, Direct TV, and over the air. 

So assumingly, whatever allotment the current KFVE is (prior to Monday) on DirecTV & Dish, that's where the new "KHII" will be. That would probably mean Gray going to have to negotiate with the satellite carriers to find an allotment for the new "K5" stream, if they haven't already done so.

But here's my gripe with Gray. They'll announce these channel switches almost a day (or two) prior to the switch, instead of announcing days ahead of time (at least a week) so viewers would get a heads up on when to rescan their tuners, and won't get confused when the change is implemented. Nexstar announced it's new "KHII" eight days ago, and some were asking "is KFVE is going off the air?" It's the same as their recent subchannel shuffle in Waco & Midland, plus what happened after they move the NBC affil from KHAS to KSNB after the Hoak deal in 2014. These were announced a day or two before the switch happened.

I know they just announce it yesterday, but I wished they would gave viewers more time. Announce the change a week out and air PSAs before implementation. They should've announce this the same day Nexstar announced about "KHII".

2 hours ago, mre29 said:

Why do they even have to move K5 to a different cable channel at all? Why not just leave everything as-is and just give KHII a currently unused channel?

I guess its because KHII would've taken over Channel 5 OTA from KFVE, had not been for the 2009 channel swap between KGMB and KFVE.

At least KFVE gets to take over KHNL's OTA channel on cable (13) as KHNL remains on 8.

2 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

I guess its because KHII would've taken over Channel 5 OTA from KFVE, had not been for the 2009 channel swap between KGMB and KFVE.

At least KFVE gets to take over KHNL's OTA channel on cable (13) as KHNL remains on 8.

You misunderstand what I'm asking. I'll rephrase:  Why can't the cable and satellite companies simply arrange things on their end so that viewers can keep watching K5 on the cable/satellite channels they're used to?

4 hours ago, mre29 said:

You misunderstand what I'm asking. I'll rephrase:  Why can't the cable and satellite companies simply arrange things on their end so that viewers can keep watching K5 on the cable/satellite channels they're used to?

Completely new contract; they get pushed out. Nexstar has the actual property and channel and FCC facility ID (dating back to the old KGMB, remember that switch?) and the channel 9 cable slot, so they had to renegotiate a completely new deal for what is effectively a new subchannel (and since it's a MyNet affiliate, no matter how much good local programming they have, it's adding a new station. Cable and satellite companies need to have a whole lot of trust that it won't become an infomercial pipe in a year's time). Gray also wants to keep it on a low-two number, so there's additional negotiations there.

This was what would have happened in Indianapolis if WTTV would have had to push the CW to a .2 channel during the CBS switch and launch it as an entirely new station before WISH-TV took the CW and averted that nightmare scenario. Also note that Dish and DirecTV have some kind of weird aversion to carrying digital subchannels unless things are structured so perfectly that it satisfies their bean counters.

3 hours ago, mre29 said:

Answer:

3 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

Completely new contract; they get pushed out. Nexstar has the actual property and channel and FCC facility ID (dating back to the old KGMB, remember that switch?) and the channel 5 cable slot, so they had to renegotiate a completely new deal for what is effectively a new subchannel (and since it's a MyNet affiliate, no matter how much good local programming they have, it's adding a new station. Cable and satellite companies need to have a whole lot of trust that it won't become an infomercial pipe in a year's time). Gray also wants to keep it on a low-two number, so there's additional negotiations there.

In other words, my point made with *keywords* had not been. So yes, KHII does take over Channel 9 but if the channel swap never took place with this situation today, KHII would've been on Channel 5, bumping KFVE off from there OTA and on its cable slots.

6 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

On 12/31/2018 at 12:40 PM, CircleSeven said:

But the big changes will occur for Big Spring's KWAB. 

No NBC. No CBS. The CW will be on the main signal.

4.1 The CW

4.2 Telemundo

4.3 H&I

And it appears that KWAB will get new call letters.

FCC released the Call Sign Actions this afternoon and Gray applied to change its callsign to KCWO.

No telling when the callsign change will go in effect.

• 1 month later...
On 1/5/2019 at 9:47 AM, tyrannical bastard said:

If there's that much of a stake in Gray, expect the endless "Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail" and "Grand Hotel at Point Clear" commercials to continue, and even extend onto the legacy Gray stations....
I'd be curious to see if The Southern Weekend (and it's regional variations) and MomsEveryday survives too....  Each was a fixture of Raycom and Gray, respectively....

Just saw a RTJGT ad on WBAY, so consider the spread of these ads to Gray stations to be confirmed, even up in Wisconsin. 

Just saw a RTJGT ad on WBAY, so consider the spread of these ads to Gray stations to be confirmed, even up in Wisconsin. 

It doesn't make sense to advertise a golf course in Alabama in places like Wisconsin. It's just something Raycom/Gray forced stations to do. Who flies from Wisconsin to Alabama to play golf?

Is Gray really one of the "bad" station groups or have they have seen better days (considering they have so many #1 and #2 stations)? I see them as a poorly run company, but maybe at one point they were well run.

>ugh!< Oh well.  IMO, ads like that are better off being pesky online banner ads, but they didn't ask me.  At least the combined company doesn't result in forced slanted news reports given to every station they own, or other similar ridiculous mandates.

2 hours ago, Conrad said:

It doesn't make sense to advertise a golf course in Alabama in places like Wisconsin. It's just something Raycom/Gray forced stations to do. Who flies from Wisconsin to Alabama to play golf?

Is Gray really one of the "bad" station groups or have they have seen better days (considering they have so many #1 and #2 stations)? I see them as a poorly run company, but maybe at one point they were well run.

It's all about that tourism money.

Wisconsinites may have to do business in Alabama sometimes, so why not plug a potentially nearby golf course.

On 3/10/2019 at 7:04 PM, Conrad said:

Who flies from Wisconsin to Alabama to play golf?

You have clearly never lived in Wisconsin. It's the dead of winter right now. Golf courses won't be open for several more weeks and have been closed for months. If you are a golfer, and can afford to do it, hell yeah you're down for flying to Alabama right now, where the golf courses remain open.

People travel ALL OVER to golf when it's winter in Wisconsin (and Minnesota, and Michigan, and Illinois, and basically every other state where winter lasts for a good third of the year). There are websites dedicated to shipping your golf clubs so you don't have to deal with traveling with them.

This kind of tourism campaign is EXTREMELY common. The only thing that "doesn't make sense" is how quick people on here are to attack a company for ludicrous reasons like "tourism advertisements".

Fun fact: George Gillette owned the Vail ski resorts at the same time he bought the Storer Broadcasting chain from KKR. It wasn't uncommon for his TV stations to run spots for Vail at the same frequency that the Raycom stations promoted Robert Trent Jones.

1 hour ago, CircleSeven said:

It's an end of an era. As a syndicator, Raycom Sports will televise its final ACC Men's Basketball Title Game tonight.

Raycom Sports will continue to be involved with ACC on the production & digital side, including producing content for the new ESPN cable network, launching in August.

This will hit WRAL-TV (and to a lesser extent, WILM-LD) hard only because they've been carrying them since forever. Without it, that's a slice of North Carolina sports on television, forever gone.

This will hit WRAL-TV (and to a lesser extent, WILM-LD) hard only because they've been carrying them since forever. Without it, that's a slice of North Carolina sports on television, forever gone.

And WBTV, the flagship station, even though they will still have CBS regular season games and NCAA tournament games, 

Good news for NBC in the Triangle!

Capitol was actually involved at times with Raycom/JP stuff, per the Illustrated History book they put out in 2015 (a fantastic obligatory read if this interests you). Raycom's first bid for ACC basketball was a joint bid with Capitol that was unsuccessful, Raycom and Capitol had a deal with the ACC for football rights before they ultimately went to JP, and Raycom produced the first HD college basketball game in 1999 with Capitol's help.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, Some (small) movement in South Georgia. 

Gray's WSWG website is still active (as of today 3/30). But wswg.tv url is now redirected to a new url southgatv.com 

The problem (at least right now), the website isn't active, and it go straight to a GoDaddy page (I'm sure a brand new page will be forthcoming).

But on top of WSST's live streaming page, it shows a new "South GA Television" logo, which could be Marquee's new "unified" brand for both WSST & WSWG.

But again, no new website yet, and I'm not sure when the transition agreement of WSWG between Gray & Marquee officially ends.

• 4 weeks later...

This is probably the final follow-up regarding Albany.

Marquee is finally cutting the Tallahassee cord. The website states that starting Monday, WSWG will be airing two news broadcast at 6 & 11pm. A 10pm show will be aired on WSST. There won't be any weekend broadcasts.

From the release:

New Local News.  We will no longer carry the news from WCTV in Tallahassee.  We believe that local news from our communities is more important.  We will be launching our local evening newscast at 6 pm on WSWG and replay it at 6:30 on WSST (starting May  6), focusing on what matters most to you.  Nightly news will premier at 10 pm on WSST and 11 pm on WSWG.

Changes are also coming to your morning and weekends.  You will continue to be able to watch  CBS This Morning during the week, but we plan no local news on the weekend, other than on this website.  In the place of any missing Tallahassee news programs in the morning and weekends, we will broadcast engaging alternate programming.

The question is how these boradcast are going to be produced? Will it be produced out in Albany, or will it be produced out of Cordele? WSST currently air a local 6-8am morning show, a noon show & a 4pm broadcast out of Cordele.

And as of tonight, Gray still have WSWG's subsite running. 

Archived