New Gannett Websites Coming

And no I don't mean TEGNA, I mean the actual Gannett, owner of USA Today and newspapers.

http://uw.usatoday.com

This version of the site (markedly different from the current desktop version, a white variation of the old Gannett USAT site) has already been rolled out to a number of local newspapers across the country on mobile. The site is still on the Presto CMS platform that Gannett sites use on the back end.

I can confirm through a source of mine who works for Gannett that the company is planning on a nationwide desktop rollout starting with the USA Today website by the end of this year. Local newspapers will begin upgrading to the desktop version of this site design in the first part of 2019.

Arguably this is an improvement over the dated current site design, but it reminds me of a better designed and executed version of TEGNA's websites minus the "Alert Center". They also appear to be responsive unlike the TEGNA sites because if you go to the above address on your computer it will show you an early "desktop version" of the new USA Today site.

I know this is a TV news talk forum but I thought this was interesting.

And no I don't mean TEGNA, I mean the actual Gannett, owner of USA Today and newspapers.

http://uw.usatoday.com

This version of the site (markedly different from the current desktop version, a white variation of the old Gannett USAT site) has already been rolled out to a number of local newspapers across the country on mobile. The site is still on the Presto CMS platform that Gannett sites use on the back end.

I can confirm through a source of mine who works for Gannett that the company is planning on a nationwide desktop rollout starting with the USA Today website by the end of this year. Local newspapers will begin upgrading to the desktop version of this site design in the first part of 2019.

Arguably this is an improvement over the dated current site design, but it reminds me of a better designed and executed version of TEGNA's websites minus the "Alert Center". They also appear to be responsive unlike the TEGNA sites because if you go to the above address on your computer it will show you an early "desktop version" of the new USA Today site.

I know this is a TV news talk forum but I thought this was interesting.

My local paper was bought by Gannett 2 years ago. The website SUCKS, and portions are rarely updated. News content has been cut and often, covers stories that are not in the paper's distribution area. The day Gannett buys a paper these days, is a sad day as if it was bought by Gatehouse Media (which has a better website). At this point, I'm not sure why I waste the money. One day, newspaper owners will realize the Jeff Bezos approach of investing in the paper works better than constant cuts and out of area coverage.

Archived