"Bugsy... Get My Chopper"

Eat News

Ok WGN Geeks...

I have this picture (unknown date) that is quite interesting.

It looks like a Hiller UH-12 -L-4

From maybe the late 50's or 1960's.

Anyone know the details of this relationship or for the sake of a better word...

Branding....Synergy???

wgnchopper.jpg.829d557f56502724e5f9bf6681adcae0.jpg

I'm gonna guess it's a traffic chopper used by the radio side.

But the question is...

Who actually operated this bird?

The Chicago PD....or WGN radio?

Is it traffic....or a cop helicopter....or both?

Pretty sure it's NOT a TV airship. No external electronics and I don't think WGN-TV ever owned it's own tv helicopter.

Potluck!

If you have info or more pictures please post them up in this Newschopper Potluck.

I don't recall who had possession of the chopper, but for years, they used a dedicated police officer as their onboard reporter. Again, I'm not in the position to look it up, but he died in a crash while on the job. I believe WGN-AM's Wikipedia entry has more backstory on that.

I don't recall who had possession of the chopper, but for years, they used a dedicated police officer as their onboard reporter. Again, I'm not in the position to look it up, but he died in a crash while on the job. I believe WGN-AM's Wikipedia entry has more backstory on that.

You da man Mr. 24994j

From Wikipedia...right where you said it would be...

In November 1958, WGN became the first radio station in Chicago to broadcast helicopter traffic reports featuring Police Officer Leonard Baldy. Flying Officer Baldy was killed in a helicopter crash, while on duty, on May 2, 1960. Eleven years later, WGN suffered another helicopter-related tragedy when Flying Officer Irv Hayden and his pilot were killed on August 10, 1971, after their helicopter struck a utility pole in the Chicago suburb of Bellwood.

WGN_Radio_traffic_copter_Leonard_Baldy_1959.JPG.73993de7b30c753cb57d1fd73a7bce3c.JPG

I guess the lesson here is simple...

If you're a cop...don't fly with WGN.

And be sure you duck when walking near the rotor blades...or your head might get chopped-off... (like the poor guy in the picture.)

(yeah,yeah.. I'm going to hell already...so spare me the outrage.)

More on Officer Baldy...

http://www.wlshistory.com/jox/LenBaldy.htm

You da man Mr. 24994j

From Wikipedia...right where you said it would be...

In November 1958, WGN became the first radio station in Chicago to broadcast helicopter traffic reports featuring Police Officer Leonard Baldy. Flying Officer Baldy was killed in a helicopter crash, while on duty, on May 2, 1960. Eleven years later, WGN suffered another helicopter-related tragedy when Flying Officer Irv Hayden and his pilot were killed on August 10, 1971, after their helicopter struck a utility pole in the Chicago suburb of Bellwood.

[ATTACH=full]6149[/ATTACH]

I guess the lesson here is simple...

If you're a cop...don't fly with WGN.

Oddly enough tho, things improved for flying officers at 'GN after that.... Cook County Sheriffs Police officer Jim Cavinaugh, then upon Cavinaugh's retirement Cook County Sheriffs Police flying officer Mike Mathis provided airborne traffic reports for 'GN, and in studio, Illinois State Police trooper Linc Hampton also helped. All while being paid by their respective law enforcement agencies. This lasted until Walter "Skippy" Jacobson highlighted this relationship in a commentary on air on WFLD.

Archived