Since we have an Olympics Broadcasting Thread, why not have one for the World Cup, too?

Here’s a look at Fox’s studio at Red Square, and it looks damn fine:

[MEDIA=vimeo]269856441[/MEDIA]

Love it!

Here’s an amazing trailer for the BBC coverage.

And how it was made.

I need to find ITV’s. Coverage is shared between the BBC and ITV and at times they show the same match.

I’ve noticed Fox network coverage typically doesn’t begin until 11am.

I wonder how much they had to negotiate with the affiliates for this? I’m sure the affiliates were not willing to give their mornings and their newscast profitability up by taking early games, especially in Cleveland, Cincinnati, Orlando, NYC, etc.

Next week from Thursday to Sunday is a complete mess for Fox and their affiliates with the US Open also going on basically sucking up the entire broadcast day; I'm seeing WITI's schedule has Xploration airing on Thursday afternoon because that's the only place they can fit it in all week outside early Sunday morning, and their overnight is make-goods of a whole bunch of syndicated shows, some still inexplicably new such as Judge Judy, where those eps are easily thrown in August (if you're TMZ, why aren't you planning a production stop and newsroom remodel at this time with many of your affiliates just outright bumping the main and Live shows to overnights?). They also have a must-run late night show at midnight, World Cup Tonight, which also botches that timeslot for weeks on end even as the field thins out.

I get the feeling that Telemundo is going to do so much better with their coverage than Fox and FS1. They've got two channels and a solid schedule and their affiliates are all in, while I get the sense from WITI they'd rather be doing their usual 'Summer' schtick than give a minute to soccer.

Telemundo Unlike Fox they have decided to go all in on world cup due to presence of a wide variety of Latin American teams and England

They will have their crew in the ground for every game

BPasWs9.png

EA's FIFA 18 gane is getting an update with World Cup stuff; if these do end up being the actual TV graphics, it might be pretty slick.

Sometimes the in-game UI does follow the actual TV graphics style (La Liga and Premier League does, which actually works very excellently), but the FIFA World Cup 2014 game didn't, and I'm not sure if it's just going to be a red/blue/gold/Russian-style recolor of the same basic style they used in 2010.

I wonder how much they had to negotiate with the affiliates for this? I’m sure the affiliates were not willing to give their mornings and their newscast profitability up by taking early games, especially in Cleveland, Cincinnati, Orlando, NYC, etc.

None. Most contracts essentially say “you have to air sports when we tell you and oh yeah you owe us % of the bill.”

Next week from Thursday to Sunday is a complete mess for Fox and their affiliates with the US Open also going on basically sucking up the entire broadcast day; I'm seeing WITI's schedule has Xploration airing on Thursday afternoon because that's the only place they can fit it in all week outside early Sunday morning, and their overnight is make-goods of a whole bunch of syndicated shows, some still inexplicably new such as Judge Judy, where those eps are easily thrown in August (if you're TMZ, why aren't you planning a production stop and newsroom remodel at this time with many of your affiliates just outright bumping the main and Live shows to overnights?). They also have a must-run late night show at midnight, World Cup Tonight, which also botches that timeslot for weeks on end even as the field thins out.

I get the feeling that Telemundo is going to do so much better with their coverage than Fox and FS1. They've got two channels and a solid schedule and their affiliates are all in, while I get the sense from WITI they'd rather be doing their usual 'Summer' schtick than give a minute to soccer.

This is why ABC hardly aired World Cup matches during the week when ESPN had the rights.That, and 80-year-old ladies complaining to “WXXX” that they can’t watch “General Hospital”.

This is why ABC hardly aired World Cup matches during the week when ESPN had the rights.That, and 80-year-old ladies complaining to “WXXX” that they can’t watch “General Hospital”.

And had a good cable plan with ESPN and ESPN2 to boot. At least use FX or even Fox Biz rather than burning games on FS1. I assume that was the original plan before the Speed/FS1 switch was ever thought of.

[MEDIA=twitter]1004106341617676288[/MEDIA]

TSN's graphics package is teased in this promo

My hope for TSN/CTV coverage is that they use a new studio. The big studio they use for their bigger events was debuted in 2015.

Nothing wrong with it, just hoped that they'd consider doing something new is all. Its a big complex, plus there's space now that Discovery Channel is done with Daily Planet.

tsn4.thumb.jpg.e2996acaaf2dc577cca54ff7d42a6896.jpg

BPasWs9.png

EA's FIFA 18 gane is getting an update with World Cup stuff; if these do end up being the actual TV graphics, it might be pretty slick.

Sometimes the in-game UI does follow the actual TV graphics style (La Liga and Premier League does, which actually works very excellently), but the FIFA World Cup 2014 game didn't, and I'm not sure if it's just going to be a red/blue/gold/Russian-style recolor of the same basic style they used in 2010.

Fox has been running promos of the World Cup where people are watching the games wherever they are. The "games" they watch use the same graphics as the video game.

I think those are the official graphics we'll see. Which will be a considerable improvement compared to the overly basic ones FIFA had in the past.20180614_003744.thumb.jpg.600e79303c6882ffc9f86a8878eda846.jpg

20180614_003725.thumb.jpg.a4198f07a0632dad10d75b9b7dfed74e.jpg

The version TSN's using is a little smaller than Fox's. Why Fox is still putting the large tab with the name of the event on the scoreboard (a thing I kinda hate about U.S. soccer broadcasts) when their bug this time around is the official wordmark for the tournament is beyond me (I would have just put "Group A" on it.

Hilariously one broadcaster did not get the memo, and decided to roll their own based of the old FIFA style.

[MEDIA=twitter]1007283563840933888[/MEDIA]

ITV is a squished mess.

[MEDIA=twitter]1007278164513443841[/MEDIA]

And here's Telemundo's score bug.

[MEDIA=twitter]1007282403864297473[/MEDIA]

Telemundo's studio graphics are quite nice. The inserts are a modded version of the main NBC Sports look. Light years better than FOX's flat, plain look.

That scoreboard font for the Fox looks is absolutely atrocious.

It's not a good font if you're viewing a small screen like a smartphone. It doesn't scale down well at all. They should have just went with the font from their standard package.

If you have access to the NBC Sports App you can stream the matches via the Telemundo feed. In addition to the main broadcast feed they offer six other camera views. The other camera view appear to be the cable cam, player cameras for each team (focusing on one specific player), two cameras for a general team (showing the coach, crowd, and the rest of the players), and a tactical cam (which appears to be above the stands showing most of the pitch).

ByuKURgr.png

Fox has custom team channels using the same feed and shows the stats that are on the side of he NBC Sports App. It appears to have the main feed, a primary player feed and the team feed all in one. Only downside it’s covered in sponsorships.

LDux8cFr.png

BBC's scoreboard is designed around their new standard package

[MEDIA=twitter]1007595569735520256[/MEDIA]

Also TSN, despite having a part-time 4K service, is not doing any coverage, and ITV already managed to botch its botched scoreboard further.

[MEDIA=twitter]1007659006507274240[/MEDIA]

Archived