the CBS o&o's are a complete mess

Webovision

This is pretty remarkable to me. Looking over the reported numbers from the May sweeps - CBS O&Os are down significantly in each market. I haven't seen anything out of LA yet so maybe KCBS can buck the trend but WCBS, KYW, WBBM and KTVT are all last amongst the big 3 in their markets. It's surprising because not too long ago WCBS, KYW and KTVT were in dead heat with number one for supremacy in their market. The networks lineup has remained strong too with most number one shows belonging to CBS so this huge shift is puzzling.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the more unusual things KPIX is doing right now are these hourly mini-newscasts from 8am-4pm on their Facebook page. They feel like a souped-up CTM cut-in with some random Newspath content mixed in.

One of the more unusual things KPIX is doing right now are these hourly mini-newscasts from 8am-4pm on their Facebook page. They feel like a souped-up CTM cut-in with some random Newspath content mixed in.

CBSLA does the same thing too.

KPIX is one of the worst performers in the group last I heard. I believe that whole market is doing poorly, where everyone is losing viewers.

Losing viewers, but the market overall is raking in cash. At least last I saw it's a very hot ad market (big incomes, not many other places to reach them). That's holding things up, especially at KGO that gets the Warriors boost as well.

This is pretty remarkable to me. Looking over the reported numbers from the May sweeps - CBS O&Os are down significantly in each market. I haven't seen anything out of LA yet so maybe KCBS can buck the trend but WCBS, KYW, WBBM and KTVT are all last amongst the big 3 in their markets. It's surprising because not too long ago WCBS, KYW and KTVT were in dead heat with number one for supremacy in their market. The networks lineup has remained strong too with most number one shows belonging to CBS so this huge shift is puzzling.

Not sure when you’re referring to, but KYW hasn’t been relevant for a good ten years.

Not sure when you’re referring to, but KYW hasn’t been relevant for a good ten years.

Hmm, I'm sure I do have my time periods mixed up but I thought I remember the Chris May and Susan Barnett team being pretty solid for CBS 3 right after the Alycia Lane and Larry Mentde successful stint. I admit I haven't paid as much attention over the last few years and dead heat with WPVI is a huge overstatement but I didn't think CBS 3 was doing this awfully too long ago.

Hmm, I'm sure I do have my time periods mixed up but I thought I remember the Chris May and Susan Barnett team being pretty solid for CBS 3 right after the Alycia Lane and Larry Mentde successful stint. I admit I haven't paid as much attention over the last few years and dead heat with WPVI is a huge overstatement but I didn't think CBS 3 was doing this awfully too long ago.

Lane was let go first and Mendte was let go after in 2008. KYW was competitive when they were at the helm, but slowly started slipping afterwards. Chris and Susan did ok at the helm, just as Ukee and Jessica have.

A few immediate items I’d fix:

Jim Donovan needs to go. He does not have the right personality to be on air in any capacity. He comes off as arrogant and snobby.

Lauren Casey should not be doing weather in the evening. Her personality is better suited for mornings.

I can live with Ukee and Jessica at night, but Ukee’s got to stop the “stay well family” kind of talk.

Please switch the weather and sports person’s spots at the anchor desk to what they used to be.

Also, hire a second team to split evenings between two teams.

Another biggie, what would it take to get Judge Judy at 4pm like some of the other O&Os, as a lead in to their 5pm news?

Losing viewers, but the market overall is raking in cash. At least last I saw it's a very hot ad market (big incomes, not many other places to reach them). That's holding things up, especially at KGO that gets the Warriors boost as well.

they can be making money while ratings plummet... SF has lost 1.5m tv homes and dropped two spots in the nieslen books... and the cord cutting is only going to get worse...

it's wild to look at year to year ratings and see everyone lost 10-30% of their viewers in a time slot... and that's unlikely to reverse itself...

a fight for the last of the dwindling viewership...

they can be making money while ratings plummet... SF has lost 1.5m tv homes and dropped two spots in the nieslen books... and the cord cutting is only going to get worse...

it's wild to look at year to year ratings and see everyone lost 10-30% of their viewers in a time slot... and that's unlikely to reverse itself...

a fight for the last of the dwindling viewership...

1.5m is it because many people are just streaming like AppleTv and YouTubeTV? Unless Nielsen does have access to those devices? Comcast is pretty expensive and much run all of SF’s cable outlets.

1.5m is it because many people are just streaming like AppleTv and YouTubeTV? Unless Nielsen does have access to those devices? Comcast is pretty expensive and much run all of SF’s cable outlets.

Nielsen or another agency likely has access to the numbers. But they need to make sure they aren’t tampered with.

I think one ratings company is working with Comcast to see how many boxes are tuned to a particular program at a time. Of course that doesn’t give them demographic information or if people are actually watching the show. I believe having access to the cable box data is one of NBCUniversal’s big selling points during the upfronts.

KPIX is one of the worst performers in the group last I heard. I believe that whole market is doing poorly, where everyone is losing viewers.

San Francisco is one of the worst markets to work in TV. Between the security issues for field crews, the stations can't pay wages to match the cost of living or be competitive with the tech industry. You could make $175k a year and be living paycheck to paycheck.

San Francisco is one of the worst markets to work in TV. Between the security issues for field crews, the stations can't pay wages to match the cost of living or be competitive with the tech industry. You could make $175k a year and be living paycheck to paycheck.

Is it that bad in the bay area? I could understand San Francisco Proper, what about other areas like Oakland/East Bay or other areas of its ilk? Could one live there sustainable when it's comparably cheaper, or is the whole region expensive? What are the economics there?

Is it that bad in the bay area? I could understand San Francisco Proper, what about other areas like Oakland/East Bay or other areas of its ilk? Could one live there sustainable when it's comparably cheaper, or is the whole region expensive? What are the economics there?

i used to live in Fremont in 1998. its actually more affordable to live in oakland and San Jose than San Francisco. KOVR might be another culprit of these issues. like the fact that my market only has 2 youtube channels and KCRA has more views per video than KOVR.

just search for 3 bedroom houses in that area on realtor.com

We had people commuting to KNTV all the way from Los Banos and Stockton in the central valley..

That was the cheapest housing they could find.

The KronVicts are known to have some rental houses out near Tracy and Livermoor and have to pull that commute/car pool.

All so one can say...

"I'm so woke...cuz I work in the B.A."

just search for 3 bedroom houses in that area on realtor.com

God. Damn. Oakland's 3 bedroom houses are cheaper compared to San Jose (on cusp of being expensive) and San Francisco (self-explanatory) No wonder some had to commute as far as nearby sacramento.

Hearing all this makes WJZ sound like the bullied alternative kid people think is failing but is getting straight A’s and is going to be the salutatorian but would of been valedictorian if wasn’t for that polished/class president WBAL.

Hearing all this makes WJZ sound like the bullied alternative kid people think is failing but is getting straight A’s and is going to be the salutatorian but would of been valedictorian if wasn’t for that polished/class president WBAL.

Which makes WMAR look bad.

Which makes WMAR look bad.

Well, yeah-- WMAR's rep got stained when the strike happened in 82, and it's just been a slow downhill slide since then-- the nadir being that psycho who tried to ram his truck into their building.

Well, yeah-- WMAR's rep got stained when the strike happened in 82, and it's just been a slow downhill slide since then-- the nadir being that psycho who tried to ram his truck into their building.

It’s getting there. They are doing good stuff. Somehow they got exclusive body cam footage of a murder on tape. Police were investigating something else when they heard gunshots a block away.

We had people commuting to KNTV all the way from Los Banos and Stockton in the central valley..

That was the cheapest housing they could find.

Now that is a serious commute, but not really that surprising. On the flip side, I have heard Sacramento and Portland are two of the better left coast TV markets to work in the industry. But yeah, San Fransisco is horrible.

Consider this...

A CBS AE may have 25-35 years sales experience...

"Great!" You say..."Dude is the money maker"...

NOT if he's /she is getting HUGE double digit commissions...4-5 months vacation...comps...perks...hookers...mistresses...free coffee...airline and hotel miles that you get to use as you wish...primo healthcare options NOT available to regular CBS staffers (news,production)...it's a pretty happy gig.

FAT...Bloated...but experienced.

CBS cannot sustain that and keep a straight face at the same time.

Meanwhile, the other groups hire new folks to work local sales for straight commission, and have them fight over clients like Ferryman Funeral Homes and Red Wigglers....the Cadillac of Worms!

All of the big accounts are through rep firms and "agencies", which the management gets to deal with, and if they're lucky, partake in the wining and dining...

Archived