the CBS o&o's are a complete mess

Webovision

Meanwhile, the other groups hire new folks to work local sales for straight commission, and have them fight over clients like Ferryman Funeral Homes and Red Wigglers....the Cadillac of Worms!

All of the big accounts are through rep firms and "agencies", which the management gets to deal with, and if they're lucky, partake in the wining and dining...

Kick down a little restaurant script to those kids....

Tell them "ya love 'em" ...while you cut that .7% commission check.

Be sure they report that script to the IRS.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i used to live in Fremont in 1998. its actually more affordable to live in oakland and San Jose than San Francisco. KOVR might be another culprit of these issues. like the fact that my market only has 2 youtube channels and KCRA has more views per video than KOVR.

Sorry to bump a thread that is more than two-and-a-half months old, but as of last year, TEGNA now often* posts YouTube videos of their stories for the majority of their stations. KXTV is the largest station not to.

Tribune (who owns KTXL) also is doing the same thing for WPIX, WGN, KCPQ, KDVR, and WJW, as well as maybe others.

So KXTV and KTXL are not far behind.

*KUSA does it rarely.

Surprised we aren't hearing about KDKA in this discussion. They may be #1 in the ratings for most time slots in a competitive market like Pittsburgh but some portions of their news is getting stale. Stacy Smith needs to retire already(always stutters his words) Their weather department is in shambles and needs fresh new talent with the exception of Ron Smiley. The beat part of their news coverage is the dean of sports himself Bob Pompeani.

Is KCNC Automated or Hubed? If there Hubed where at?

If you're asking about master control, aspects of it have been automated since the 1960s...as far as being hubbed, I believe the transition over to Encompass Digital Media in Atlanta has been completed. The last station was WCBS, which was completed last month I want to say.

If you're asking about master control, aspects of it have been automated since the 1960s...as far as being hubbed, I believe the transition over to Encompass Digital Media in Atlanta has been completed. The last station was WCBS, which was completed last month I want to say.

The transition still is not complete. The CBS MC hub will come online in a month or two.

The transition still is not complete. The CBS MC hub will come online in a month or two.

I forget during local news do most hubbed stations playout spots themselves or from the hub (which could be dangerous especially if someone isn’t finished talking but the director counted the hub down)? I thought I heard the NBC hub (atleast during Encompass era) didn’t handle news commercials?

And how did things like morning show tickers and other things work? Are they received at the station who insert the ticker, the weather, and news update and then send it to the hub?

I forget during local news do most hubbed stations playout spots themselves or from the hub (which could be dangerous especially if someone isn’t finished talking but the director counted the hub down)? I thought I heard the NBC hub (atleast during Encompass era) didn’t handle news commercials?

And how did things like morning show tickers and other things work? Are they received at the station who insert the ticker, the weather, and news update and then send it to the hub?

So far, it's been all local.

kovr/kmax isn't automated... yet...

soon...

Do you know anything more? It appears, based on job listings, they have already or are about to implement to Sony ELC. The job duties are interesting though because it also mentions operating an audio board and acting as an assistant director. (Things that wouldn't exist if they were going fully automated.)

Delays...shocking...;)

Anyone know which stations have yet to be done, and is the new hub outsourced (Encompass), or is it still within the network?

Do you know anything more? It appears, based on job listings, they have already or are about to implement to Sony ELC. The job duties are interesting though because it also mentions operating an audio board and acting as an assistant director. (Things that wouldn't exist if they were going fully automated.)

Many stations when they go automated choose not to connect audio or the robotic cameras.

None of the stations are using the hub yet, from what I have heard.

All the equipment is located at the station. The hub will simply control and monitor it remotely.

Spots during local news are almost always triggered by the control room, hubbed master control or not. I haven't heard of any stations that have "hard" times to roll break. If you're scheduled to take one at 10:12:30 and you don't start it until 10:12:37, no big deal, you just have to make sure you make up for that 7 seconds before the end of the show and you DO hit a "hard off" time at 10:34.

All the equipment is located at the station. The hub will simply control and monitor it remotely.

Spots during local news are almost always triggered by the control room, hubbed master control or not. I haven't heard of any stations that have "hard" times to roll break. If you're scheduled to take one at 10:12:30 and you don't start it until 10:12:37, no big deal, you just have to make sure you make up for that 7 seconds before the end of the show and you DO hit a "hard off" time at 10:34.

I was referring to say if the control room told/triggered the hub that the A block is ending in 10 seconds but they go over by 5 the last five could be cut off by the hub expecting that the station would be ready in 10.

I was referring to say if the control room told/triggered the hub that the A block is ending in 10 seconds but they go over by 5 the last five could be cut off by the hub expecting that the station would be ready in 10.

As usual, everywhere's a little bit different, but I've seen a few stations that set up a GPI on the switcher that triggers "roll break" in Master by hitting the "Fade to Black" button (which also gives the added bonus that if something disastrous happens, they can just smack that button and instantly be in a commercial break.) Nobody's talking to anyone there, it's being done automatically. I've heard of others having a button panel in the Director and/or Technical Director's position that does the same thing. Even if Production Control is verbally telling Master to roll break, Control would be the ones counting Master down and likely the talent could hear them doing so. If someone keeps talking, it's their own dumb fault they got cut off.

After having read some of the earlier posts about WWJ Detroit, I thought I'd take a look at the schedule for myself. Oh my god! I don't think I've ever seen a station based in a major city of a state that has no local news at all. The weirdness of seeing CBS Overnight News at 5am, and two editions of the CBS Morning News at 6am and 6:30, is just unbelieveable. How are they even allowed to get away with doing that?

Wonderful explanation by Weeters. The only thing I would add is the signal going from the control room is going straight to the transmitter, not via the hub first. The hub can still monitor because they are monitoring the signal.

Internal breaks in newscasts have hard times really only for the benefit of the producer. If they go over, they go over. If they go under, they go under, provided they can make up the time to end the show on time. The internal breaks are manually triggered either by in-house master (where they will be told to by the director), or by the TD/director using a switch or button. The break going into network or the next program is hard-timed so the next show/network starts/hits on time. In the log the first spot in the break will have a clock trigger on it for a given time, let's say 6:27:30 (or 18:27:30). The master control automation will automatically play that spot at that time, and the rest of the spots will simply follow as the log says. The producer and director knows their "out time" is 6:27:30. The producer will adjust the rundown accordingly if they are light or heavy going into the final block.

After having read some of the earlier posts about WWJ Detroit, I thought I'd take a look at the schedule for myself. Oh my god! I don't think I've ever seen a station based in a major city of a state that has no local news at all. The weirdness of seeing CBS Overnight News at 5am, and two editions of the CBS Morning News at 6am and 6:30, is just unbelieveable. How are they even allowed to get away with doing that?

I still remember when WDJT and WGBA had those schedules before they started mornings (and then WGBA cut their morning show temporarily in the Great Recession after their 'import WTMJ's show' strategy bombed, replaced with Better and a double-run of Early Today. It just doesn't allow any momentum to ever start throughout the schedule.

WKEF comes calling.

WWJ-TV will never amount to anything more than a pass-through, nor is there any need for CBS to either sell it or invest in it beyond what they’re doing now.

WWJ-TV is just like the stand-alone CW O&Os. They make money for CBS with no news infrastructure or major investments necessary. Trying to force a news operation won’t work.

It's still frustrating how Viacom axed WKBD's news department...they seemed bent on vaporizing any of the UPN O&Os' sense of local identity.

Viacom had to (or wanted to) if they wanted to profit off of the UPN O&Os. It's the cost of doing business.

Wonderful explanation by Weeters. The only thing I would add is the signal going from the control room is going straight to the transmitter, not via the hub first. The hub can still monitor because they are monitoring the signal.

Most instances I've seen for hubbed masters, the control room hits master first and then that signal is fed back to the station for distribution within the market.

Archived