New set for WISN Milwaukee

jrh1985

Really nice. While the new Hearst sets do share a lot of similarities, I'm glad they aren't totally going with the set-in-a-can format (*coughcough Quincy*) and are letting Devlin tailor them to each station.

As far as Midwest Hearst stations go, KMBC and KCCI are badly in need of new sets. Both have to be pushing a decade old if not more.

What other stations had the set before WISN? Just saw a clip of KOAT on YT, and it looks like the have the same set!

Most of the current generation of Hearst sets use similar individual pieces, assembled in different ways, just like most of the current era of corporate standard sets. From that aspect, KOAT, KCRA, ,and KETV have some similarities, but I definitely wouldn't call them the same set. There are enough differences in the backdrops to make them look unique from each other.

The thing I like about WISN's backdrop is that it doesn't feature the seemingly endless stretches of featureless flat duratrans like you see on some of the other Hearst sets. It's broken up enough that there's more visual interest there, and they've added a nice pattern to the duratrans to make it look interesting. I also like the WeatherWatch 12 "lightbox" that they added to WISN's set.

The new 12 News/WNT promo is out on YT, and at 0:27 it looks like the set can go red...maybe for BIG Breaking News?

I would be shocked if any set with backlit walls did not have RGB lights. WBAL changes the lighting a few times in a show.

What happens when you've only had the set for a week and you, as the sports director, haven't figured where the 'safe zone' to walk during weather/chroma segments is? You get this hilarity!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=9I7gjHNNmgc;t=0

I also enjoy the little inadvertent The Room reference there too.

Archived