Kevin Frankish leaves BT but stays in the City.

TheRolyPoly

Nearly since the beginning, Kevin's been at Breakfast Television for 27 years. The program is currently 29 years, which shows you how long he's been there.

Today was his last day at BT but will remain in the City (get it?) to do special projects including a new documentary series to air in primetime.

No immediate word on who'll take over as Dina Pugliese's co-host.

http://toronto.citynews.ca/2018/05/29/kevin-frankish-leaving-breakfast-television/

Today was his last day at BT but will remain in the City (get it?) to do special projects including a new documentary series to air in primetime.

That's exactly what Rogers and City said when Gord Martineau was pushed out... ahem "retired" after 40 years on City. He only shows up on commercials during sweeps, as well as PSA's about community events going on each quarter. Only reason they say that is so the blood isn't on their hands.

Many people I know in Toronto and also in general are very upset about this, but it is expected coming from Rogers. They did the same to so many well known and loved personalities, most recently Jennifer Valentyne for example. I'll be willing to bet that Winston Sih takes Frankish's position, he doesn't deserve it tho. He's not the news kind of person that is required for half of BT. No doubt though Mr. Frankish will be replaced by someone who makes far less than what tallied up.

Kevin is one of the nicest and most passionate news people you will meet, he truly cares about the story and about the community. He has gone out of his way (even while on vacation) shooting stories about hidden gems and whatnot where he's visiting. Truly a sad loss for the television industry in Toronto and Canada, I feel his pain.

That's exactly what Rogers and City said when Gord Martineau was pushed out... ahem "retired" after 40 years on City. He only shows up on commercials during sweeps, as well as PSA's about community events going on each quarter. Only reason they say that is so the blood isn't on their hands.

Many people I know in Toronto and also in general are very upset about this, but it is expected coming from Rogers. They did the same to so many well known and loved personalities, most recently Jennifer Valentyne for example. I'll be willing to bet that Winston Sih takes Frankish's position, he doesn't deserve it tho. He's not the news kind of person that is required for half of BT. No doubt though Mr. Frankish will be replaced by someone who makes far less than what tallied up.

Kevin is one of the nicest and most passionate news people you will meet, he truly cares about the story and about the community. He has gone out of his way (even while on vacation) shooting stories about hidden gems and whatnot where he's visiting. Truly a sad loss for the television industry in Toronto and Canada, I feel his pain.

Think about the folks Rogers pushed out from City, especially since 2010

Laura DiBattista

Anne Mroczkowski (the biggest surprise really)

Pam Seatle (even though she joined a month later after initially let go)

Dwight Drummond

Merella Fernandez

Harold Hosein (2008 tho)

Jojo Chintoh

Jennifer Valentyne

Mark Dailey was unreplaceable when he passed away in 2010 and The Voice of Citytv is still missed by me almost a decade later.

• 2 months later...

Its amazing how things change. I grew up watching 'Channel 79' - hence my handle. I'm only 55 BTW.

Watched it RELIGIOUSLY. Great Movies, News and Music. It had it all.

Moses Z really got it right.

Once they fired a bunch in 2010, it had a different feel. But the changes were underway at that point.

I slowly stopped watching as the programming changed.

Growing up, I would watch the news during dinner and in the morning when I was getting ready for work.

Always watched a movie or two during the week at some point. I had Channel 7 on during the day every day for at least a few hours if not more.

Now I NEVER watch it. EVER.

It used to be cutting edge; remember when TV execs from other countries came here in the late 80s early 90s to see what the fuss was about with their format? No desks to deliver the news....videographers....stuff like that.

....and then there was the New Music...

Anyway, sad to see KF go. Unless there is a health issue which is his business, I think he may have been pushed out.....

The only way I found this out is by their new endless promos with Roger P. Because I NEVER watch it! :)

The Old.Fart

Archived