May 2018 Sweeps Roundup

Georgie56

Said who? Under Belo KHOU was neck to neck with KTRK, and once the sell went through and Gannett/TEGNA got their hooks in KHOU it all went down hill.

When exactly was the Gannett take over? KHOU hasn’t been legitimately competitive with KTRK since the Lisa Foronda and Lucy Noland days which was the better half of a decade ago.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm late with it, but WDAF-TV was #1 in adults 25-54 in almost every time slot. I think we only fell short on Sunday night.

The taco truck (same one we had to celebrate February sweeps) is returning.

I'm late with it, but WDAF-TV was #1 in adults 25-54 in almost every time slot. I think we only fell short on Sunday night.

The taco truck (same one we had to celebrate February sweeps) is returning.

With the collapse of KMBC (IMO) with their recent change in slogan, branding (Today's KMBC 9) and even a logo change (from blue to red), I think WDAF is running away with it and I've liked WDAF for some time now. I expect WDAF to be #1 for the foreseeable future, not just in this category (A25-54) but in all categories, including total HH.

With the collapse of KMBC (IMO) with their recent change in slogan, branding (Today's KMBC 9) and even a logo change (from blue to red), I think WDAF is running away with it and I've liked WDAF for some time now. I expect WDAF to be #1 for the foreseeable future, not just in this category (A25-54) but in all categories, including total HH.

That depends on how badly Sinclair screws up the station.

So, which station came in second? KCTV? KSHB?

So, which station came in second? KCTV? KSHB?

For adults 25-54:

KMBC:

#2 all morning slots

#3 at 5

#2 at 6

#3 at 10

KCTV:

#3 early morning, #4 from 6am onward

#2 at 5

#4 at 6

#4 at 10

KSHB:

#4 early morning, #3 after 6am

#4 at 5

#3 at 6

#2 at 10

For adults 25-54:

KMBC:

#2 all morning slots

#3 at 5

#2 at 6

#3 at 10

KCTV:

#3 early morning, #4 from 6am onward

#2 at 5

#4 at 6

#4 at 10

KSHB:

#4 early morning, #3 after 6am

#4 at 5

#3 at 6

#2 at 10

Why has KCTV been doing poorly for so long? It's one of the weaker stations (other than WGCL) in the Meredith portfolio.

Why has KCTV been doing poorly for so long? It's one of the weaker stations (other than WGCL) in the Meredith portfolio.

This is the prime example at how Meredith runs their stations, some of them (KPTV, WFSB and WALA all come to mind) are ran very well while some (like KCTV and WGCL) Meredith just simply doesn't invest in those stations.

If you want your stations to become the top 2 in the markets you own station(s) in? You must invest in the stations you own, period. No exceptions

• 2 weeks later...

While we're on the subject of Meredith....

The "brilliant" decisions that WSMV management have made are finally catching up with them...

https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2018/07/02/nashville-tv-ratings-wsmv-demetria-kalodimos-dennis-ferrier-jennifer-johnson-nancy-van-camp/745794002/

And DK hasn't landed at a competitor...yet...

While we're on the subject of Meredith....

The "brilliant" decisions that WSMV management have made are finally catching up with them...

https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2018/07/02/nashville-tv-ratings-wsmv-demetria-kalodimos-dennis-ferrier-jennifer-johnson-nancy-van-camp/745794002/

And DK hasn't landed at a competitor...yet...

The bad press they received from unceremoniously dumping Demetria Kalodimos the way they did certainly did its damage. To fall behind not just WTVF, but WKRN now is a very big fall from grace.

The bad press they received from unceremoniously dumping Demetria Kalodimos the way they did certainly did its damage. To fall behind not just WTVF, but WKRN now is a very big fall from grace.

Pretty big boneheaded f*ups for WSMV and Meredith... nice to see the consequences of those dumb moves showing up in the ratings and their bottomline. The damage is far from over...it's just getting started and doesn't even factor in the additional pain once DK shows up at WKRN/WTVF and the outcome of the lawsuits from former WSMV employees. Recovery will take a longtime (if ever) in a market like Nashville. They've simply made bad moves, lost other talented vet employees and then the lawsuits. Fun times ahead for that station... a station that was once known for it's rich legacy, stability, and deep trust with the community!

You don't hear a television station claim season ratings win in one market during a particular TV season. That's usually more reserved for the national networks.

But WJXT decided to be the exception, according to the way this news release is said. Plus, no big surprise here:

https://www.news4jax.com/station/wjxt-wins-2017_2018-tv-season-in-jacksonville

Pretty big boneheaded f*ups for WSMV and Meredith... nice to see the consequences of those dumb moves showing up in the ratings and their bottomline. The damage is far from over...it's just getting started and doesn't even factor in the additional pain once DK shows up at WKRN/WTVF and the outcome of the lawsuits from former WSMV employees. Recovery will take a longtime (if ever) in a market like Nashville. They've simply made bad moves, lost other talented vet employees and then the lawsuits. Fun times ahead for that station... a station that was once known for it's rich legacy, stability, and deep trust with the community!

If she ends up at WZTV, they may be able to get out of the ratings basement, and at this rate, WSMV "4" will have another meaning.......(maybe changing their slogan to "We're 4!")

This wouldn't be the first time a Meredith station has had issues in the HR side of things....It's been going on for years, all the way back to Kevin O'Brien's antics...

Maybe Gray will do us all a favor and buy them out of their misery. They would fit into the new Gray like a glove (aside from Flint/Saginaw)....

It seems like Meredith is looking to give up and merge with a company. It does seem like Meredith has tried with WGCL. They bought the station almost 20 years ago, and I fault Meredith with the many management changes. You can except a turn around when new general managers & news directors come in and add their own twist. I will give Mark Primental credit for being aggressive, and he knew the market. He worked at both WSB & WXIA. He knew the lay of the land.

KCTV always seems to be a rollercoaster a strong #2, but sometimes in 3rd or 4th place. Kansas City, is a very competitive market, but they've seem to have made alot of changes over the years. Shocked that WDAF has moved into #1, because they struggle during their early FOX days while Channels 5 &9 were #1 & #2.

WSMV always having to battle WTVF and WKRN always third, but a strong #3. However, their fallout with DK has hit them hard.

I wonder if they want to grow their portfolio, but it seems like they were set and happy when they had plan to merge w/ Media General a few years ago.

If she ends up at WZTV, they may be able to get out of the ratings basement, and at this rate, WSMV "4" will have another meaning.......(maybe changing their slogan to "We're 4!")

This wouldn't be the first time a Meredith station has had issues in the HR side of things....It's been going on for years, all the way back to Kevin O'Brien's antics...

Maybe Gray will do us all a favor and buy them out of their misery. They would fit into the new Gray like a glove (aside from Flint/Saginaw)....

Can I suggest a threesome? Gray + Meredith + Hubbard. It makes sense if you think about it.

Can I suggest a threesome? Gray + Meredith + Hubbard. It makes sense if you think about it.

Makes sense. Luckily Raycom dumped KASA in ABQ several years back and KDLH was passed over by Gray when they acquired Benedek.

Hubbard has a growing radio profile that could be kept by them....

• 1 month later...

Sorry to bump a 2 month old thread, but last July I read a KNXV press release from the month before on the site ftvlive.com, and the press release mentioned that KNXV was "#1 in ratings".

Others may find this surprising given Scripps' problems and KNXV historically being weak. The only other Scripps stations that are #1 right now are WPTV and WTVF. (KGTV's claims that they are #1 are lies.)

Archived