May 2018 Sweeps Roundup

Georgie56

Tegna-itis took hold at KHOU and that’s why KPRC is doing fine now.

KHOU hasn't been a serious contender for years ... long before Tegna took over. The real reason is that KTRK isn't the dominant station anymore and has bled a lot of viewers. Most of them wound up at KPRC. Pretty amazing considering a decade ago KPRC's 5 p.m. news was in 5th place, behind the other stations' newscasts AND 'The Simpsons' on KRIV.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't lived in the market for a few years now but I'm really interested to see what KPRC has changed so much to spark this fire under their numbers.

It's obvious what KTRK has done to ruin their dominance. Everything outside of the morning, midday and 4 pm newscast are a wreck. The three anchor late night newscast is silly.

Things can change so quickly. 13 dominated for decades straight, 11 challenged them around the mid 2000s but both have now lost lots of momentum. Crazy.

I haven't lived in the market for a few years now but I'm really interested to see what KPRC has changed so much to spark this fire under their numbers.

It's obvious what KTRK has done to ruin their dominance. Everything outside of the morning, midday and 4 pm newscast are a wreck. The three anchor late night newscast is silly.

Things can change so quickly. 13 dominated for decades straight, 11 challenged them around the mid 2000s but both have now lost lots of momentum. Crazy.

So what your saying is that KRIV and KIAH still stink, KHOU is challenging but no avail right now to its ratings, KTRK is still dominant and KPRC is catching up big time to potentially become the new #1 soon.

(I don't blame KPRC. Graham Media holds 4 out of 6 #1 stations if you still count WPLG and their operations with Graham. WSLS and WKMG aren't #1 but don't be surprised if they end up doing so in the not too distant future, especially 'KMG.)

So what your saying is that KRIV and KIAH still stink, KHOU is challenging but no avail right now to its ratings, KTRK is still dominant and KPRC is catching up big time to potentially become the new #1 soon.

(I don't blame KPRC. Graham Media holds 4 out of 6 #1 stations if you still count WPLG and their operations with Graham. WSLS and WKMG aren't #1 but don't be surprised if they end up doing so in the not too distant future, especially 'KMG.)

Not quite but almost. KRIV does well in the morning I believe. KHOU isn't very competitive anymore. KTRK is most watched among total viewers but KPRC owns the 25-54 demo. It's a confusing market compared to the days when KTRK used to top the competition combined.

KPRC ditched the tabloid format, which helped considerably. They also tend to own breaking news coverage.

Losing Marvin Zindler and pushing out Dave Ward (among others) just made matters worse for KTRK.

Interesting Chart...

I bagged it from Lieberman who must have stole it from some cumulus sales stuff....

[ATTACH=full]6174[/ATTACH]

Maybe because there’s a lot to do and see in San Francisco and people don’t want to waste their vacations watching TV all day and night?

Maybe because there’s a lot to do and see in San Francisco and people don’t want to waste their vacations watching TV all day and night?

Yup...You are correct.

Plenty of LIVE drama everyday on the streets of the bay area...

6a-10a Wake-Up with the Junkies with Ken and Muffy

10-11am Naked Yoga with Lars (or Liz)

11am-1pm Midday Panhandling and Weather

1pm-2pm This Old Cardboard Box

2pm-3pm Jerry Springer (Final Season...with real knives)

3pm-4pm Steve Wilkos (Free w/ Springer)

5pm-7pm Action News- Stolen Stuff Edition

7pm-8pm Rescue Mission- Reality Adventure Contest

9pm-11pm Intervention or Hoarders (depending on therapy requirements)

11pm Eyewitness News - Narcan Edition

11:35pm Jimmy Kibbles and Bits-Comedy for you and your crusty dog

All day....all night 24/7 just look up from that brain sucking smartphone and enjoy all the sights of the city by the bay.

tentsf.jpg.e1bd61f0b6d9bdba57a439d5ca95669e.jpg

Viewing Levels:

I think people who look at viewing levels as a number on their own without context are missing part of the story. You can’t look at viewing levels alone as part of a 24 hour day by themselves and reach a conclusion. Here’s some admittedly arbitrary math:

Sleep time: 8 hours

Morning prep time: 2 hours

Work time: 8 hours (or more)

Round trip commute time: 1.5 hours (Varies by cities. Google it and you’ll see people in cities at the bottom of the viewing hours list spend a lot of time commuting.)

So far, that adds up to 19.5 hours, and doesn’t include dinner or other activities like gym, socializing, playing with kids, etc.. Now, suddenly, those 3-5 hours of viewing comprise a lot of someone’s available free time. I don’t think people are watching less because they don’t care. They’re watching less because they have less free time.

Viewing Levels:

I think people who look at viewing levels as a number on their own without context are missing part of the story. You can’t look at viewing levels alone as part of a 24 hour day by themselves and reach a conclusion. Here’s some admittedly arbitrary math:

Sleep time: 8 hours

Morning prep time: 2 hours

Work time: 8 hours (or more)

Round trip commute time: 1.5 hours (Varies by cities. Google it and you’ll see people in cities at the bottom of the viewing hours list spend a lot of time commuting.)

So far, that adds up to 19.5 hours, and doesn’t include dinner or other activities like gym, socializing, playing with kids, etc.. Now, suddenly, those 3-5 hours of viewing comprise a lot of someone’s available free time. I don’t think people are watching less because they don’t care. They’re watching less because they have less free time.

Great!

The health reporter doggie introduced logic into the thread.

So the largest unmeasured demo that is almost absolute would be.......

Maximum Security Prisons

Avrg Viewing hours 15 hours per day if you are doing life and not in lockdown (solitary).

6 hrs sleep

1 hour recreation outside

20 mins 3 times a day to eat...

And you can poop and watch TV at the same time if your cell is so equipped.

Our female and some male anchors here at KBEX-TV still get letters from prisoners who are big fans.

There were rumors of an anchor at "another station" who was selling her knickers to a 3rd party (a corrections goon) who ended up re-selling them to the convicts.

It's also a captive audience.

Don't laugh cuz prisoners buy all kinds of stuff...

Cool prison stuff here

I will call your attention to the "No shank superflex pen".

Lots of demos out there that go unmeasured...lost demo's.

feel free to add your favorite unmeasured but absolute demo.

[quote name='MetroCity']What a tool.[/QUOTE] I don't believe @Eat News was trying to attack you personally, I think he was just being facetious about the issue. Pittsburgh has pretty brutal commutes too... Ever try to get from the airport to downtown at 4pm? I have, a couple times. Takes forever. The majority of ways in and out of the city are over bridges or through tunnels (or both). The only way to have a good commute working in the city is to live in the city. You basically have to live where you work or you have to go through a choke point. So to say it's simply because people don't have free time isn't entirely accurate. Many of those higher-up cities have brutal commutes. San Francisco and Seattle are huge tech hubs and are full of millenials. That plays a huge role in this report. They're not watching traditional television. It doesn't matter why, they just aren't, and that's not good for broadcast TV.

[quote name='Weeters']I don't believe @Eat News was trying to attack you personally, I think he was just being facetious about the issue. Pittsburgh has pretty brutal commutes too... Ever try to get from the airport to downtown at 4pm? I have, a couple times. Takes forever. The majority of ways in and out of the city are over bridges or through tunnels (or both). The only way to have a good commute working in the city is to live in the city. You basically have to live where you work or you have to go through a choke point. So to say it's simply because people don't have free time isn't entirely accurate. Many of those higher-up cities have brutal commutes. San Francisco and Seattle are huge tech hubs and are full of millenials. That plays a huge role in this report. They're not watching traditional television. It doesn't matter why, they just aren't, and that's not good for broadcast TV.[/QUOTE] I'd be curious as to what TV habits are like with Gen Z, but I wouldn't be surprised if TV viewing habits with Gen Z be even lower than what it is with Millenials just simply because of the fact that the only thing my generation knows (myself included) is the internet and they'll probably spend more time being on their computers, etc. and less watching traditional TV

Atlanta clocks in at 4 1/2 hours exactly, two minutes more than New York City and Baltimore.

But as far as minor markets are concerned...I would say Anchorage, Alaska spends about an hour or so on average while Fairbanks is dead last (sorry, Glendive).

San Francisco and Seattle are huge tech hubs and are full of millenials. That plays a huge role in this report. They're not watching traditional television. It doesn't matter why, they just aren't, and that's not good for broadcast TV.

Bay Area TV crews will tell you the one thing they always hear in the field, and they have heard it for 50 years....

There is a certain arrogance that seems to go with the statement because people will go out of their way to approach crews and engage in a conversation that always ends the same.

"Well I don't even own a TV" ...

They will smugly say, thinking it's some badge of honor to be so woke ...even MORE woke then the uber-woken TV crew.

There's a small, but discernible, negative correlation between the amount of time people 25-54 watch television and the percentage of people between the ages of 25-54 within the total population of the metropolitan area.

2554msapct2.png.bdc87e8ce91458894b009ebaa8cebfd7.png

[quote="Weeters, post: 211747, member: 1"

San Francisco and Seattle are huge tech hubs and are full of millenials. That plays a huge role in this report. They're not watching traditional television. It doesn't matter why, they just aren't, and that's not good for broadcast TV.

what about the markets full of retirees?

Even by casually looking at these numbers, the top markets are those that have traditionally some special affinity to local TV, whether it's a longtime on-air personality, branding, or even a theme song (like WPVI's MCTYW)....

Towards the bottom, the younger and hipper people may not even own a TV, much less watch it on a regular basis.

These are just based on my instincts....

Bay Area TV crews will tell you the one thing they always hear in the field, and they have heard it for 50 years....

There is a certain arrogance that seems to go with the statement because people will go out of their way to approach crews and engage in a conversation that always ends the same.

"Well I don't even own a TV" ...

They will smugly say, thinking it's some badge of honor to be so woke ...even MORE woke then the uber-woken TV crew.

What irks me is when a tv anchor, personality, or movie star say that. That’s literally their job and they aren’t supporting their profession?

KHOU hasn't been a serious contender for years ... long before Tegna took over. The real reason is that KTRK isn't the dominant station anymore and has bled a lot of viewers. Most of them wound up at KPRC. Pretty amazing considering a decade ago KPRC's 5 p.m. news was in 5th place, behind the other stations' newscasts AND 'The Simpsons' on KRIV.

Said who? Under Belo KHOU was neck to neck with KTRK, and once the sell went through and Gannett/TEGNA got their hooks in KHOU it all went down hill.

Archived