May 2018 Sweeps Roundup

Georgie56

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In Albany, NY

WTEN is #1 at 4-6:30 and 10-11:30pm

WNYT is #1 from 5-7am

https://blog.timesunion.com/kristi/2018/06/02/several-on-air-staffers-leaving-wten-news10abc/

Lost in the lede: Four staffers are out, including reporter Jimmy Marlow to WVIT and weekend meteorologist Greg Pollack to WNYT (where he coincidentally interned while at UAlbany).

I wonder who WTEN has taken from: WRGB going full Sinclair or WNYT entering a bit of an unstable period.

I think I can say with certainty that TEGNA’s decision to air “CBS This Morning” from 7-9a on WWL was not a good one, given the ratings from this May. Also, the Newsy-type theme song that WWL has for its newscasts (and that all of TEGNA’s stations have for theirs) somehow does not fit WWL at all; I don’t know why....

So, I can agree that TEGNAitis (I think this is the correct term for it) is affecting WWL big time...

I think CBS forced that decision on Tegna.

Any Ratings numbers for the May sweeps for Oklahoma City or Tulsa? Because I think NewsOK/The Daily Oklahoman (Oklahoma City's area newspapers) stopped doing the ratings sweeps for the Big Four stations in Oklahoma City and I've never seen the Tulsa World post the ratings sweeps for Tulsa's Big Four stations.

I think the better question would be is why did DMAs #25 and higher stop posting ratings numbers for the area's big four stations during sweeps periods, or have they ever stopped posting those results?

I think the better question would be is why did DMAs #25 and higher stop posting ratings numbers for the area's big four stations during sweeps periods, or have they ever stopped posting those results?

Because stations are afraid of show numbers reflecting the huge drop in total viewership.

Everyone has their own excuses as to why, but nobody wants to admit the fact that it's happening.

God forbid we tell the advertiser the truth.

Lost in the lede: Four staffers are out, including reporter Jimmy Marlow to WVIT and weekend meteorologist Greg Pollack to WNYT (where he coincidentally interned while at UAlbany).

I wonder who WTEN has taken from: WRGB going full Sinclair or WNYT entering a bit of an unstable period.

WRGB & WTEN have always had a big fight in the ratings game and WNYT was in last place. There been several affiliation switches in that market. As WNYT finally got a piece of the pie. WTEN has fallen to third, and times where WRGB hit third place. WTEN does well in early evening plus Wheel/Jeopardy wins their time slot at 7pm early fringe. It's interesting that WTEN has taken the lead in the ratings game where WRGB fell short.

New Orleans isn't really big enough for four news outlets, is it?

St Louis isn't big enough

How do you both figure either St.Louis or New Orleans not big enough for (4) market news outlet. St. Louis #21 & New Orleans #51 market? I see FOX2 & ABC30 having a combo operations, but not sure where KPLR 11 stands with the Meredith deal.

Would you say the same for Louisville, KY #49 market? Memphis is #50 market? Are those markets big enough to handle [4] outlets?

#74 Omaha has [4] news outlets as well. What about them?

Huntsville, Ala #80 have [4] news outlets. FOX54 owned by Nexstar has a news operation [which I'm shocked that Nexstar didn't buy WAAY31.]

How do you both figure either St.Louis or New Orleans not big enough for (4) market news outlet. St. Louis #21 & New Orleans #51 market?

I worry we're going to get to a point sooner rather than later where three, let alone four, may not be sustainable in markets below 20.

How do you both figure either St.Louis or New Orleans not big enough for (4) market news outlet. St. Louis #21 & New Orleans #51 market? I see FOX2 & ABC30 having a combo operations, but not sure where KPLR 11 stands with the Meredith deal.

Would you say the same for Louisville, KY #49 market? Memphis is #50 market? Are those markets big enough to handle [4] outlets?

#74 Omaha has [4] news outlets as well. What about them?

Huntsville, Ala #80 have [4] news outlets. FOX54 owned by Nexstar has a news operation [which I'm shocked that Nexstar didn't buy WAAY31.]

If you cannot sell your inventory in your newscast, then you cannot support a news operation.

Period.

DMA size has zero to do with it.

You're a lot less likely to be able to support four news operations if there is a dominant figure (or two) in the market than if it is quite competitive. Having someone dominant will scare off others and reduce the pie available.

Not much disposable income in STL seeing it's depressed socioeconomic status according to dept of commerce figures.

Whereas more robust economic regions can support 5,6. and 7 local operations with plenty of inventory to spare.

Some markets will be down to 1 local operation soon.

Why???

Because people don't want to consume crap and fake news.

It's amusing that the pecking order is generally consistent.

Also, some of those drop-offs between stations are insane.

WMC seems to be struggling and then on top of that WHBQ in the AM nippling on WMC's heels. WATN did well on Sunday's at 5pm. WHBQ's midday beat WMC's midday. I bet the folks at Raycom are worried and Sinclair going to love WREG.

It's amusing that the pecking order is generally consistent.

Also, some of those drop-offs between stations are insane.

What was the total households difference from FEB 2017 to FEB 2018?

Dear God don't tell them that!

If you let the advertiser KNOW the (real numbers) total households are wayyyy dowm...the actual value of all the inventory suddenly will plunge....to match that household-vs-loss difference.

" Sell the demo you dummie" !!~!

You want me to sell CBS Evening News to 18-34 year olds???

"No you idiot!!! make up a demo and sell that..."

SJW's and LGBT sympathizers are a great "demo" for TV sales to exploit. No actual numbers because they don't exist, and you don't need them anyway.

You sell emotion...you sell a message of "acceptance and lifestyle"...you make sh&t up.

You don't need "ratings" anymore because these buyers are mostly snowflakes that eat up whatever a smart sales weasel sells them.

"But everyone knows they (the resistance) are everywhere...and they all watch CBS Evening News".....

We even have a little clip to show you with Jeff Glor interviewing BLM and SJW's at protest across the nation...

"Sell THAT demo".

Those numbers posted by tribune are highly skewed and incomplete.

The press release is all fluff. No different than Starbucks proclaiming they have the best coffee in their own press release.

Nielsen and Tribune would NEVER post the actual grid.

WREG finally wins 6:00pm, a timeslot they have struggled to win against WMC until now.

But I think WREG's ratings wins may be numbered once Sinclair takes over and pretty much ruins it with their political crap.

WMC seems to be struggling and then on top of that WHBQ in the AM nippling on WMC's heels. WATN did well on Sunday's at 5pm. WHBQ's midday beat WMC's midday. I bet the folks at Raycom are worried and Sinclair going to love WREG.

This was the first full sweeps period for WMC-TV under its new news director (who was previously at WVUE as an assistant ND), but considering how much the station has been struggling over the years against WREG (coupled with CBS's strong performance and how WHBQ has been doing in the mornings since Cox took over), he's got his work cut out for him to turn things around.

What was the total households difference from FEB 2017 to FEB 2018?

It has fluctuated. Some gains and some losses in between, but down from its peak in 2014 when WREG had its highest ratings ever.

WREG finally wins 6:00pm, a timeslot they have struggled to win against WMC until now.

But I think WREG's ratings wins may be numbered once Sinclair takes over and pretty much ruins it with their political crap.

WREG has beaten WMC-TV before for a few sweeps periods at 6:00pm, so this isn't new to them. As for post-Sinclair acquisition, do not be surprised if WREG gets treated the same way as KUTV and WKRC have been treated. The Memphis DMA market is a sea of conservative red surrounding a tiny blue island, so the Smith Empire's propaganda will probably sell well here.

WSCV won in the various demos (I’ll summarize basically 18-54*) from sign on to sign off regardless of language.

Their 11PM newscast has been #1 for 27 consecutive months regardless of language (A18-54)

Telemundo 51 also ranked as the #1 station, regardless of language, in the Miami-Fort Lauderdale DMA during Monday – Friday Prime (7pm – 11pm), among Adults 18-34, Adults 18-49 and Adults 25-54 for the last 19 out of 20 consecutive months.

https://www.nbcumv.com/news/telemundo-51wscv-ends-may-2018-sweeps-1-station-south-florida-regardless-language-during-sign?search=1&term=WSCV

WNJU ranked #1 A18-54* for primetime and late News.

https://www.nbcumv.com/news/telemundo-47-ranked-1-market-regardless-language-late-news-and-primetime-during-may-2018?search=1&term=May 2018 sweeps

KVEA’s 5PM has been the most watched since the beginning of the year regardless of language in A18-34 and A18-49. For May specifically most watched in A25-54. And for 11PM it’s most watched regardless of language in A25-54. Telemundo’s 10PM Super Series were most watched A18-54* regardless of language.

https://www.nbcumv.com/news/telemundo-52-has-most-watched-local-newscasts-los-angeles-any-language-start-2018?search=1&term=KVEA

If you look at the table you will see that despite Nightly winning the demo CBS Evening News has the HH. Interesting anomaly.

https://www.nbcumv.com/news/“nbc-nightly-news-lester-holt”-wins-12th-straight-sweep-key-demo?search=1&term=May 2018 sweeps

*Im basically summarizing the three different demos they listed A18-34, A18-49 and A25-54.

Any word on the english language stations in Miami?

In Houston - KPRC (NBC) took the key demo in all time slots while KTRK (ABC) dominated in HH.

How many years ago was it that KPRC was doing so bad that people here and on the Radio-Info boards were practically screaming "NBC BUY THIS STATION!!"...?

How many years ago was it that KPRC was doing so bad that people here and on the Radio-Info boards were practically screaming "NBC BUY THIS STATION!!"...?

Tegna-itis took hold at KHOU and that’s why KPRC is doing fine now.

Archived