May 2018 Sweeps Roundup

Georgie56

The big trouble with that is that the demos are rotten for local news and quite honestly the money is with the retiring boomers not the demo.

Advertising’s entire demo scheme is seriously flawed in today’s world.

Which is something the CBS Television Network has been arguing for the last 40 or so years....

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The big trouble with that is that the demos are rotten for local news and quite honestly the money is with the retiring boomers not the demo.

Advertising’s entire demo scheme is seriously flawed in today’s world.

research (itself from 50 years ago) says younger viewers are more easily swayed by advertising compared to geezers

WSCV won in the various demos (I’ll summarize basically 18-54*) from sign on to sign off regardless of language.

Their 11PM newscast has been #1 for 27 consecutive months regardless of language (A18-54)

Telemundo 51 also ranked as the #1 station, regardless of language, in the Miami-Fort Lauderdale DMA during Monday – Friday Prime (7pm – 11pm), among Adults 18-34, Adults 18-49 and Adults 25-54 for the last 19 out of 20 consecutive months.

https://www.nbcumv.com/news/telemundo-51wscv-ends-may-2018-sweeps-1-station-south-florida-regardless-language-during-sign?search=1&term=WSCV

WNJU ranked #1 A18-54* for primetime and late News.

https://www.nbcumv.com/news/telemundo-47-ranked-1-market-regardless-language-late-news-and-primetime-during-may-2018?search=1&term=May 2018 sweeps

KVEA’s 5PM has been the most watched since the beginning of the year regardless of language in A18-34 and A18-49. For May specifically most watched in A25-54. And for 11PM it’s most watched regardless of language in A25-54. Telemundo’s 10PM Super Series were most watched A18-54* regardless of language.

https://www.nbcumv.com/news/telemundo-52-has-most-watched-local-newscasts-los-angeles-any-language-start-2018?search=1&term=KVEA

If you look at the table you will see that despite Nightly winning the demo CBS Evening News has the HH. Interesting anomaly.

https://www.nbcumv.com/news/“nbc-nightly-news-lester-holt”-wins-12th-straight-sweep-key-demo?search=1&term=May 2018 sweeps

*Im basically summarizing the three different demos they listed A18-34, A18-49 and A25-54.

Also trouble editing again it kind of makes sense seeing these Spanish language stations dominates or primetime regardless of language. Most markets have two dominant Spanish language stations - Univision and Telemundo along with some smaller networks UniMás and independents. Then these markets have fragmentation from the big 4 each producing newscasts (with some on duopolies) and primetime programming all fighting for the English audience. It’s easy to see why the Spanish language stations get such high ratings - simply because there are so few outlets.

But I am not discounting the fact that many if not most Spanish speakers are bilingual but they still chose Spanish language newscasts over English. I would like to see the retention data of the English language networks and many people change the channel for news - either to Spanish or English.

I imagine if the English language newscasts included stories of interest to the bilingual community they could take back the ratings crown. I occasionally watch the NBC and Telemundo duopolies because a) I prefer NBC but b) they typically have the same newsroom (maybe different management but I think similar assignment desks) and the differences in their rundowns is like night and day.

Granite LA, NYC, Miami and Houston (which I posted a graphic earlier) are the four largest Spanish DMAs.

I want to see the actual verified numbers from Nielsen...on a Nielsen website.

NOT a TV station re-hash of the numbers as they see it.

Real attribution...NOT a tv station press release because they lie.

If a station cannot back up those numbers with a verified Nielsen source then I say BEWARE...cuz stations LIE all the time in those ratings adverts.

Stations are under ZERO obligation to tell the viewers the truth.

No Obligation.

research (itself from 50 years ago) says younger viewers are more easily swayed by advertising compared to geezers

Thing is there is absolutely no reason why lawyers and I’ve fallen and I can’t get up ads need to be the only thing they show... everybody needs to wash clothes or eat or any number of things that would appeal to the watchers of literally any program. Yet those ads were common 30 years ago and not anymore. That really doesn’t make a lot of sense.

I want to see the actual verified numbers from Nielsen...on a Nielsen website.

NOT a TV station re-hash of the numbers as they see it.

Real attribution...NOT a tv station press release because they lie.

If a station cannot back up those numbers with a verified Nielsen source then I say BEWARE...cuz stations LIE all the time in those ratings adverts.

Stations are under ZERO obligation to tell the viewers the truth.

No Obligation.

Having seen the books before I can tell you they do cherry pick to the hilt... one station is “most watched in the nation” and we would believe it if it was in Fargo with a 99 share... not the biggest city in the country...

Meanwhile in Orlando, Big 9 still has a lock on early morning, noon, and 6. But 11:00 is where it gets freaky - Big 9 won the demo, WESH2 won the weekdays, News6GettingResults won the total.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/tv/tv-guy/os-et-may-ratings-tight-race-at-11-pm-20180525-story.html

Looks like a pretty competitive market.

Granite LA, NYC, Miami and Houston (which I posted a graphic earlier) are the four largest Spanish DMAs.

Granite only owns KOFY in San Francisco and WTVH in Syracuse, and they are both English language stations.

I’ll refrain from posting the Atlanta numbers, because it’ll be the same-old, same-old bullshit from WSB...at least in the 25-54s.

In 18-49s, I would say WGCL was tops, even beating WSB and WXIA in some slots while still having the #2 primetime newscast behind only WAGA. But four years ago at this time, it was WUVG that beat out those four regardless of language.

CBS46 showed significant year to year growth in most news time periods, often beating WXIA at 6 and 11 (after crushing them in almost all time periods last November), and WAGA in some other periods.

A snapshot:

11pm: +33%

4:30am: +64%

5am: +126%

6am: +45%

In Denver, KUSA's still on top. 9News is STILL number one in Colorado. On the Spanish side, KDEN (Telemundo) has the number-one Spanish language newscast at 10pm. Meanwhile, KMGH -- yes, KMGH -- has ratings gains at 6am, 4pm, 5pm and 10pm thanks to the strength of in-house local brands as contributing factors to its success such as "360", "Our Colorado" and "Contact 7". More from the Denver Post...

https://theknow.denverpost.com/2018/05/25/denver-local-tv-may-2018/185426/

It's still a mixed bag in NOLA.

From NOLA.com, WVUE wins the 4:30-5am, 7-9am, 9pm & 10pm. WDSU takes the 4 & 6pm. & WWL wins the 5-7am, 12pm & 5pm.

Full breakdown:

• 4:30 to 5 a.m.: WVUE, 1.8; WWL, 1.8; WDSU, 1.1; WGNO (network), 0.6
  • 5 to 7 a.m.: WWL, 3.5; WVUE, 3.1; WDSU, 2.9; WGNO (network), 0.5
  • 7 to 9 a.m.: WVUE, 4.8; WWL (network), 2.5; WDSU (network), 4.3; WUPL, 1.7; WGNO (network), 1.0
  • 11-11:30 a.m.: WGNO, 2.0
  • Noon-1.p.m.: WWL, 8.5; WVUE, 3.7
  • 4-5 p.m.: WDSU, 4.9; WVUE, 4.3
  • 5-6 p.m.: WWL, 6.5; WDSU, 6.0; WVUE, 5.7; WGNO, 1.3
  • 6-6:30 p.m.: WDSU, 6.6; WWL, 6.5; WGNO, 0.8
  • 6:30 to 7 p.m.: WUPL, 0.9
  • 9-10 p.m.: WVUE, 6.9; WUPL, 0.2
  • 10-10:30 p.m.: WVUE, 7.6; WWL, 6.7; WDSU, 5.5; WGNO, 0.6

From NOLA.com, WVUE wins the 4:30-5am, 7-9am, 9pm & 10pm. WDSU takes the 4 & 6pm. & WWL wins the 5-7am, 12pm & 5pm.

Full breakdown:

• 7 to 9 a.m.: WVUE, 4.8; WWL (network), 2.5; WDSU (network), 4.3; WUPL, 1.7; WGNO (network), 1.0

Everyone's a winner....except WGNO. Poor WGNO. Also, are they really airing America This Morning from 5-7am or was that an error on the reporter?

Everyone's a winner....except WGNO. Poor WGNO. Also, are they really airing America This Morning from 5-7am or was that an error on the reporter?

I think it was an error on the reporter’s part....

An error. WGNO still has "Good Morning New Orleans" but if it was canceled, nobody would miss it because apparently, America This Morning did better at the 4:30 a.m. half-hour than GMNO's entire two-hour block.

Full breakdown:

I think I can say with certainty that TEGNA’s decision to air “CBS This Morning” from 7-9a on WWL was not a good one, given the ratings from this May. Also, the Newsy-type theme song that WWL has for its newscasts (and that all of TEGNA’s stations have for theirs) somehow does not fit WWL at all; I don’t know why....

So, I can agree that TEGNAitis (I think this is the correct term for it) is affecting WWL big time...

Archived