May 2018 Sweeps Roundup

Georgie56

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here in Dallas, KDFW is the overall winner amongst 25-54 year olds.

WFAA *barely* wins at 10pm amongst total viewers.

http://unclebarky.com/dfw_files/a0aaff232f91dfa556136f09b09cf813-4199.html

I find it interesting that Uncle Barky can get a general breakdown of the numbers for publication.

I wonder who is giving him the numbers ?

Nielsen must approve...or be providing them to the public.

Wonder why Rich Lieberman can't even get the San Francisco numbers?

WISN wins at 5pm and 6pm; WITI takes morning and 10pm; WTMJ in last place overall and at 10pm after winning both fields last May.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/entertainment/television-radio/2018/05/24/channel-12-comes-out-top-may-sweeps-channel-6-no-1-10-p-m-wisn-witi-wtmj-wdjt-milwaukee-tv/641145002/

The fact that WDJT isn’t a bottom-dweller anymore should be a wake-up call to WTMJ and Scripps.

The fact that WDJT isn’t a bottom-dweller anymore should be a wake-up call to WTMJ and Scripps.

huh.... and here i thought the return of jeff kiernan as "senior director of local content" would be the second coming of christ...

:rolleyes:

surely the suits at Scripps got sold a bill of goods on that guy... if I had to guess, from some of the "good ol' boys" from the journal days who are still left there... it's amazing... kiernan spends nine years at WBBM where it stays a bottom-dweller and somehow lands the same job in milwaukee... you don't get that without a few people rooting for you behind the scenes...

the powers that be will continue to be baffled and confused with these ratings... because they don't understand why tmj was on top last time kiernan was around...

blow it up and start over, folks...

The deep fall in WTMJ's all-day ratings should tell Scripps that going all-in on their stuff definitely did not work. Last year, WTMJ had The Real at 3pm, and their must-runs like The List and The Now were wedged into the 2pm slot, then the 4pm news. Now though with the nationalized Now and Pickler and Ben somehow hanging onto 3pm all year, that just weakens their entire schedule, and The Morning Blend now seems stuck in a cheery 2008 fugue that's turning viewers away.

And going back to the 'bleed it leads' crimeroll type of news, along with their entire mess where they won't name a new chief meteorologist has been no help. WISN's Mark Baden is definitely now the 'trusted weather guy' in Milwaukee, and with WITI going with the science angle for their weather and WDJT leaning heavy into their Brewers partnership and a steady rotation, WTMJ's only gimmick is...weather vehicles and a $5 weather app.

Also, WDJT's gamble to get out Paul and Michelle did what it needed to do; took out a few older viewers but helped get new people into the newscasts. What looked to be a low point last May only proved to be a shake-out point.

WIVB has won at 5am, 6am, 5:30pm, 6pm, 10pm and 11pm in the 25-54 demo. A year ago, WGRZ has won that demographic.

http://buffalonews.com/2018/05/24/channel-4-benefits-from-dramatic-shift-in-viewership-in-key-demographic/

(be sure to turn off AdBlock to see article)

WIVB was in the dumps not long ago? Big comeback there!

I'm seeing a pattern in the ratings for Milwaukee, Buffalo, Cincinnati, and Detroit, but I can't quite put my finger on it... ;)

You could say they follow the same Scripps...*insert Roger Daltrey’s scream here*

The deep fall in WTMJ's all-day ratings should tell Scripps that going all-in on their stuff definitely did not work. Last year, WTMJ had The Real at 3pm, and their must-runs like The List and The Now were wedged into the 2pm slot, then the 4pm news. Now though with the nationalized Now and Pickler and Ben somehow hanging onto 3pm all year, that just weakens their entire schedule, and The Morning Blend now seems stuck in a cheery 2008 fugue that's turning viewers away.

And going back to the 'bleed it leads' crimeroll type of news, along with their entire mess where they won't name a new chief meteorologist has been no help. WISN's Mark Baden is definitely now the 'trusted weather guy' in Milwaukee, and with WITI going with the science angle for their weather and WDJT leaning heavy into their Brewers partnership and a steady rotation, WTMJ's only gimmick is...weather vehicles and a $5 weather app.

Also, WDJT's gamble to get out Paul and Michelle did what it needed to do; took out a few older viewers but helped get new people into the newscasts. What looked to be a low point last May only proved to be a shake-out point.

The demo number does not support your claim of younger viewers. Michelle has not been on 10 for two years, Paul 4. By the way, Paul anchored 10 pm newscasts that finished 3 rd before. With Michele and Chantel and Mark on weather. They have a fact problem there. I routinely am assigned to fact check newscasts for my firm. They say a lot of incorrect things and when they ad lib, they get very close to getting served.

.3 behind is not a lot to overreact about. Djt benefits from Colbert’s rise. They may not be bottom feeders, but they could be low lifes.

I'm seeing a pattern in the ratings for Milwaukee, Buffalo, Cincinnati, and Detroit, but I can't quite put my finger on it... ;)

One of these doesn't really fit. I wonder where WKBW would be if Sinclair or Nexstar got it and would it have been any worse than Scripps? Remember, Scripps is an improvement over the debacle that was Granite.

Does anyone have any intel on Charlotte ratings? There hasn’t been any since Mark Washburn retired and I’m particularly curious to know what’s been going on with the numbers since Cox shook up management at WSOC. Likewise wondering if changes at WCCB mean WJZY is finally gaining traction...

Status quo in Chicago. WLS comfortably on top at 10pm, WGN wins at 9pm, 6-10am and probably at noon. WLS likely takes all other time slots.

https://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/news/2018/05/24/wls-channel-7s-late-news-report-scores-again.html

I wouldn't quite say that - Robert Feder reports WFLD tied WGN at 9PM in the demo.

Pretty big deal for them given their perennial bottom-feeder status.

Then either Feder or Lazare got bad info.

Apples and oranges. Lazare is quoting household numbers and Feder is using A25-54. For advertisers the demo numbers are much more important.

In addition, neither Feder nor Lazare do a good job at painting a full and accurate picture of TV news ratings. It would be nice to one day get a deeper analysis than the usual copy and paste. And I think most of us can agree that total viewers/households don't hold as much weight as they use to. People consume TV in many different ways these days.

In addition, neither Feder nor Lazare do a good job at painting a full and accurate picture of TV news ratings. It would be nice to one day get a deeper analysis than the usual copy and paste. And I think most of us can agree that total viewers/households don't hold as much weight as they use to. People consume TV in many different ways these days.

The big trouble with that is that the demos are rotten for local news and quite honestly the money is with the retiring boomers not the demo.

Advertising’s entire demo scheme is seriously flawed in today’s world.

Archived