Fox Network Sports Offerings

TVNewsLover

Is it just me, or is the New Fox turning into a better run, more experienced and more capitalized version of Sinclair?

Aside from the NFL (and other pro sports), the parallels are developing, especially with Wrestling and "balanced" news.....

I have a feeling that the upcoming divorce between 20th and New Fox will come back to bite them when there's little left to program the network...

Anyone here care to speculate that FOX will add an extra hour to their primetime schedule in the near future? Think about it. TNF will always run through 10pm/9pm, which will likely be off-putting to FOX affiliates and O&Os who air late news. SmackDown generally only airs for 2 hours, but had they picked up Raw as well, it would have aired for three hours and five minutes.

Time for FOX to start acting like the Big-4 network it is and program it as such. They will have enough programming to program three hours at night. Affiliates and O&Os will hate it, but it's the cost of doing business.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone here care to speculate that FOX will add an extra hour to their primetime schedule in the near future? Think about it. TNF will always run through 10pm/9pm, which will likely be off-putting to FOX affiliates and O&Os who air late news. SmackDown generally only airs for 2 hours, but had they picked up Raw as well, it would have aired for three hours and five minutes.

Time for FOX to start acting like the Big-4 network it is and program it as such. They will have enough programming to program three hours at night. Affiliates and O&Os will hate it, but it's the cost of doing business.

Fox can barely get any hits out of 2 hours of primetime. Never going to happen.

Remember, ABC had Monday Night Football for eons that pushed local news to 12 midnight or later in the Eastern time zone.

You are living in the past. That's not how programming will be consumed now or in the future.

No way that FOX or their affiliates would ever consider taking the third hour away from them. This and the 7-9 am slot are tools to combat the other networks with local news. And for duopoly stations, it's time to allow for counter programming so they don't have to simulcast or double up their efforts to compete against themselves.

If they ever get stretched for programming, they could always take a night and give it back to the affiliates for a "movie of the week!"

No way that FOX or their affiliates would ever consider taking the third hour away from them. This and the 7-9 am slot are tools to combat the other networks with local news. And for duopoly stations, it's time to allow for counter programming so they don't have to simulcast or double up their efforts to compete against themselves.

If they ever get stretched for programming, they could always take a night and give it back to the affiliates for a "movie of the week!"

Hell, I wouldn’t mind seeing Fox Night at the Movies revived. If New Fox gets the licensing for even a fraction of the Twentieth library, I don’t see them running out of movies for a few TV seasons... I forsee it being similar to the CBS/Viacom split where Showtime kept the rights to Paramount movies for a time and subruns of Paramount movies made from 1998-07...

Fox tried to expand into the 10pm hour in the late 90s. It was enough to cause Sinclair to defect a few stations to The WB. Plus, the 10pm newscasts are gold mines to FOX affiliates, no way they give that up.

How about daytime and late night? Any chance of FOX expanding into those dayparts?

Hell, I wouldn’t mind seeing Fox Night at the Movies revived. If New Fox gets the licensing for even a fraction of the Twentieth library, I don’t see them running out of movies for a few TV seasons... I forsee it being similar to the CBS/Viacom split where Showtime kept the rights to Paramount movies for a time and subruns of Paramount movies made from 1998-07...

Murdoch has already made it clear the future of New Fox is sports & news. Old movies play on diginets and dying cable channels not over the air tv networks.

Is it just me, or is the New Fox turning into a better run, more experienced and more capitalized version of Sinclair?

Aside from the NFL (and other pro sports), the parallels are developing, especially with Wrestling and "balanced" news.....

I have a feeling that the upcoming divorce between 20th and New Fox will come back to bite them when there's little left to program the network...

"World's Wildest Police Chases," "Are You Smarter than a Fourth Grader" and "Who Wants to Marry a Millionaire" wanted to say hi.

Fox tried to expand into the 10pm hour in the late 90s. It was enough to cause Sinclair to defect a few stations to The WB. Plus, the 10pm newscasts are gold mines to FOX affiliates, no way they give that up.

When was that? If anything, they tried to do late night in the 11pm-12am ET slot and failed miserably in both attempts. Chevy Chase was such a disaster that they never tried again. (Note: Fox O&Os trotted out Magic Johnson in that hour for three months in 1998, but it was syndicated from 20CF TV, not coming directly from the Fox network. Same with "The Morning Show with Mike and Juliet" and "Good Day Live.")

The Fox Sunday night schedule DID program from 7pm to 11pm in the early 1990s (which WSVN pre-empted the 10pm hour of for their 10pm newscasts) but that 10pm hour was ceded back to the affiliates in 1993, right before the New World deal.

Remember - many Fox affiliates are in duopolies with big 3 stations, especially if they’re run by mega-groups such as Nexstar or Sinclair. Those big 3s air 11pm news... so besides t

When was that? If anything, they tried to do late night in the 11pm-12am ET slot and failed miserably in both attempts. Chevy Chase was such a disaster that they never tried again. (Note: Fox O&Os trotted out Magic Johnson in that hour for three months in 1998, but it was syndicated from 20CF TV, not coming directly from the Fox network. Same with "The Morning Show with Mike and Juliet" and "Good Day Live.")

The Fox Sunday night schedule DID program from 7pm to 11pm in the early 1990s (which WSVN pre-empted the 10pm hour of for their 10pm newscasts) but that 10pm hour was ceded back to the affiliates in 1993, right before the New World deal.

I may be wrong, but Mike & Juliet came from Fox News Channel while Good Day Live came from KTTV. Also, they even stunted with an evening newscast via Geraldo at Large and the 2005 revival of A Current Affair which were also Fox News Channel produced.

Murdoch has already made it clear the future of New Fox is sports & news. Old movies play on diginets and dying cable channels not over the air tv networks.

So I’m other words, except with sports, it will be the late 2000s NBC all over again.

FOX is Currently still making use of Saturday nights at least. you may remember when Saturday nights was occupied by Reruns of fox shows when MadTV left for CW. so they're are more opportunities fox could provide on Saturdays.

I may be wrong, but Mike & Juliet came from Fox News Channel while Good Day Live came from KTTV. Also, they even stunted with an evening newscast via Geraldo at Large and the 2005 revival of A Current Affair which were also Fox News Channel produced.

All three shows were syndicated through 20CF TV. While cleared on the O&Os (the latter two especially), they were never thought of as shows on the Fox network proper.

FOX is Currently still making use of Saturday nights at least. you may remember when Saturday nights was occupied by Reruns of fox shows when MadTV left for CW. so they're are more opportunities fox could provide on Saturdays.

After the Animation Domination block died off, it was been nothing but reruns of long-gone reality shows on a time slot I can't really think of as competitive in the least. (What else is there in that time period but SNL, infomericals and Byron Allen fare?)

And didn't Fox give that 11p-12:30a time back to the affiliates anyway? Or is Showtime at the Apollo now on the network?

And didn't Fox give that 11p-12:30a time back to the affiliates anyway? Or is Showtime at the Apollo now on the network?

If Fox is airing something 12-12:30am, then WJW isn’t airing it. Fox is still using the 11pm hour, however with Showtime at The Apollo reruns.

FOX still programs the 11pm-12am hour on Saturdays but many continue to air it from 11:30pm-12:30am because of the late 11pm news.

It makes no sense to me as to why they still do late night Saturdays.

All three shows were syndicated through 20CF TV. While cleared on the O&Os (the latter two especially), they were never thought of as shows on the Fox network proper.

After the Animation Domination block died off, it was been nothing but reruns of long-gone reality shows on a time slot I can't really think of as competitive in the least. (What else is there in that time period but SNL, infomericals and Byron Allen fare?)

After ADHD ended, Fox tried another late-night sketch show, Party Over Here, for 10 weeks in the Spring of 2016.

FOX still programs the 11pm-12am hour on Saturdays but many continue to air it from 11:30pm-12:30am because of the late 11pm news.

It makes no sense to me as to why they still do late night Saturdays.

That's what I don't understand is if you have nothing to show for in programming on Saturday Nights after the local news why continue to program on Saturday Nights after the local news? Makes no sense to me

That's what I don't understand is if you have nothing to show for in programming on Saturday Nights after the local news why continue to program on Saturday Nights after the local news? Makes no sense to me

Network ad moola. If they program reruns into the time slot, it’s a cheap way to get some money from advertising.

• 2 weeks later...

Hate to bump a stagnant thread - but could Fox theoretically stunt with an early morning national newscast?

Murdoch has said he wants more news programming from FNC and the local affiliates on New Fox.

I don’t mean a 7-9am newscast which would ruin ratings for their affiliates’ morning news.

But a 4:00 am early news to compete with America This Morning and the CBS Morning News.

Here’s what a sample rundown could consist of:

A-Block // national/world headlines

B-Block // taped business wrapup with Cavuto + live business headlines from the overnight anchor at FBN

C-Block // weather, if there is a meteorologist on duty at the local station, there will be a chance to cut away

D-Block // sports highlights and headlines from Fox Sports.

It’s a half hour straight newscast that the affiliates will have the option to run before their early news start time (some stations, especially those in duopolies, early news doesn’t begin until 7am)

It would also be produced out of the Fox News Channel in NY.

Hate to bump a stagnant thread - but could Fox theoretically stunt with an early morning national newscast?

Murdoch has said he wants more news programming from FNC and the local affiliates on New Fox.

I don’t mean a 7-9am newscast which would ruin ratings for their affiliates’ morning news.

But a 4:00 am early news to compete with America This Morning and the CBS Morning News.

B-Block // taped business wrapup with Cavuto + live business headlines from the overnight anchor at FBN

C-Block // weather, if there is a meteorologist on duty at the local station, there will be a chance to cut away

It’s a half hour straight newscast that the affiliates will have the option to run before their early news start time (some stations, especially those in duopolies, early news doesn’t begin until 7am)

I don't see affiliates agreeing to this

I can hear KRIV, WTVT, WOFL/WOGX and some other FOX O&Os (and affiliates) complaining about that.

You forgot about NBC's Early Today, but Fox doing an early morning newscast wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility down the road.

Archived