Fox Network Sports Offerings

TVNewsLover

Hate to bump a stagnant thread - but could Fox theoretically stunt with an early morning national newscast?

Murdoch has said he wants more news programming from FNC and the local affiliates on New Fox.

I don’t mean a 7-9am newscast which would ruin ratings for their affiliates’ morning news.

But a 4:00 am early news to compete with America This Morning and the CBS Morning News.

Here’s what a sample rundown could consist of:

A-Block // national/world headlines

B-Block // taped business wrapup with Cavuto + live business headlines from the overnight anchor at FBN

C-Block // weather, if there is a meteorologist on duty at the local station, there will be a chance to cut away

D-Block // sports highlights and headlines from Fox Sports.

It’s a half hour straight newscast that the affiliates will have the option to run before their early news start time (some stations, especially those in duopolies, early news doesn’t begin until 7am)

It would also be produced out of the Fox News Channel in NY.

If Fox is willing to compete with the Big Three they need to be different than the big three, what I mean by that I mean give the affiliates an option to air it at 7:30e/6:30c instead of 6:30e/5:30c this way if the affiliates want to continue doing the 5:30c/6:30e local newscast they can have the option to do it.

This way the network is happy and the affiliates/O&Os are happy as well

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hate to bump a stagnant thread - but could Fox theoretically stunt with an early morning national newscast?

Murdoch has said he wants more news programming from FNC and the local affiliates on New Fox.

I don’t mean a 7-9am newscast which would ruin ratings for their affiliates’ morning news.

But a 4:00 am early news to compete with America This Morning and the CBS Morning News.

Here’s what a sample rundown could consist of:

A-Block // national/world headlines

B-Block // taped business wrapup with Cavuto + live business headlines from the overnight anchor at FBN

C-Block // weather, if there is a meteorologist on duty at the local station, there will be a chance to cut away

D-Block // sports highlights and headlines from Fox Sports.

It’s a half hour straight newscast that the affiliates will have the option to run before their early news start time (some stations, especially those in duopolies, early news doesn’t begin until 7am)

It would also be produced out of the Fox News Channel in NY.

I could see that happening. But who would anchor? My vote would be Doug Luzader since he's become a staple of Fox affiliates' morning newscasts.

If Fox is willing to compete with the Big Three they need to be different than the big three, what I mean by that I mean give the affiliates an option to air it at 7:30e/6:30c instead of 6:30e/5:30c this way if the affiliates want to continue doing the 5:30c/6:30e local newscast they can have the option to do it.

This way the network is happy and the affiliates/O&Os are happy as well

I don’t see any affiliate airing an early morning network newscast at 7:30 am. At that point, local news has already begun and what affiliate would want to give network control over their revenue, especially if the local news is quite popular?

I could see that happening. But who would anchor? My vote would be Doug Luzader since he's become a staple of Fox affiliates' morning newscasts.

My vote would be for Todd Piro or even FBN’s Lauren Simonetti.

I don’t see any affiliate airing an early morning network newscast at 7:30 am. At that point, local news has already begun and what affiliate would want to give network control over their revenue, especially if the local news is quite popular?

Do the O&Os and the affiliates have an option to bump the national morning newscast to either a junior partner in a duopoly or a subchannel if they don't have a duopoly partner?

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived