Fox Network Sports Offerings

TVNewsLover

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well CBS isn’t losing the AFC package, they don’t want a repeat of 1994 so get all that nonsense about FOX acquiring both out of your head.

Anything and I mean ANYTHING is possible if Redstone gets control of CBS and there's a Viacom merge.

....and FOX may be the new home of WWE's Smackdown....

Something tells me new XFL rights may also be in play here, because otherwise that's a huge overpayment.

It doesn't even mention UPN, which SmackDown is the lasting legacy of.

It is going to be interesting seeing how the networks deal with remembering that there exists a sizable audience outside of New York, LA, and DC.

It doesn't even mention UPN, which SmackDown is the lasting legacy of.

It is going to be interesting seeing how the networks deal with remembering that there exists a sizable audience outside of New York, LA, and DC.

They dissed the legacy of the UPN?

Those bastards!

Something tells me new XFL rights may also be in play here, because otherwise that's a huge overpayment.

That's two nights of programming that Fox will have locked up. With WWE on Tuesdays and Thursday night football, Fox can build a core schedule out of those properties. However, the fact that Fox is overpaying for these rights may come back to haunt them.

WWE helped UPN all throughout the 2000s. If I recall correctly, some UPN affiliates launched 10pm news to hold onto the audience from the WWF/WWE. Whether one likes it or not - wrestling gets ratings. The WWE is not the mammoth it was in 1999, but I’m sure it will dramatically boost Fox’s ratings.

Besides that the current NFL deals doesn't expire until after the 2022 season so, the NFL will remain on CBS for awhile

The NFL's goal is to maximize revenue and eyes. Keeping the NFC and AFC Sunday afternoon packages split between two separate networks makes the most sense. In markets with more than one NFL team, if only Fox carried the games would create issues due to overlap. Never will happen. The Thursday package has been a dog, so CBS and NBC were willing to let it go. That will not happen for the Sunday pm and night packages.

That's two nights of programming that Fox will have locked up. With WWE on Tuesdays and Thursday night football, Fox can build a core schedule out of those properties. However, the fact that Fox is overpaying for these rights may come back to haunt them.

Based on what I heard, Fox would move SmackDown back to Friday nights under this $1 billion deal between them and the WWE.

Not to mention FOX college football saturday, so real estate is depended less from Sun-Wed. Are affiliates happy with this? What are chances of RAW moving to FOX though? I don't see it happening, just curious? May I suggest College Basketball in the winter while you're at it.

Not to mention FOX college football saturday, so real estate is depended less from Sun-Wed. Are affiliates happy with this? What are chances of RAW moving to FOX though? I don't see it happening, just curious? May I suggest College Basketball in the winter while you're at it.

The word is that USA is keeping Raw, and paying three times more than the previous contract.

The word is that USA is keeping Raw, and paying three times more than the previous contract.

At Least now we will see some transparency in the sport with the sudden popularity...and new spending.

Seems to me that most wrestling has become questionable in the honesty department. I hope this is a fresh new professional start where our children will have positive role models that teach honesty and good social values like team building and resolving conflict through peaceful methods.

Our children need to see that wrestlers are regular people too with

that can be hurt by bad words our thoughts.

Let's pray from "Hulk Wholesome" to lead our youth...not Hulk Hogan.

Andre the "big person"...would be proud.

luchashark.jpeg.21884c72c2e04db038824c402fab7ce8.jpeg

And it's not like Fox will have an entertainment cable network to place Raw on (remember, Disney is getting FX and FXX).

WWE helped UPN all throughout the 2000s. If I recall correctly, some UPN affiliates launched 10pm news to hold onto the audience from the WWF/WWE. Whether one likes it or not - wrestling gets ratings. The WWE is not the mammoth it was in 1999, but I’m sure it will dramatically boost Fox’s ratings.

do wrestling fans even care about the news?

This is what helped KPXJ take off when KTBS bought it and switched it to a UPN station. That and the fact that KMSS took about 12 years to launch a 9pm newscast (If you don't count the effort that came from Tyler from 2007-2015)

And it's not like Fox will have an entertainment cable network to place Raw on (remember, Disney is getting FX and FXX).

The original intent had Fox gotten both Raw and SmackDown was to put the latter on FS1 (which New Fox is keeping)..

Based on what I heard, Fox would move SmackDown back to Friday nights under this $1 billion deal between them and the WWE.

Doesn't make much sense to move it to Friday. Friday is a dumping ground and they wouldn't reach the target demo on that night. It would be best to leave it on Tuesday.

Doesn't make much sense to move it to Friday. Friday is a dumping ground and they wouldn't reach the target demo on that night. It would be best to leave it on Tuesday.

Viewership actually increased when it moved to Fridays on UPN.

Viewership actually increased when it moved to Fridays on UPN.

TV viewership trends have changed a lot since then. That's a ton of money FOX is paying out and it would be a waste to move the show to Fridays, especially if it's not live.

TV viewership trends have changed a lot since then. That's a ton of money FOX is paying out and it would be a waste to move the show to Fridays, especially if it's not live.

With the amount that Fox is paying, there's no way it won't be live.

With the amount that Fox is paying, there's no way it won't be live.

Which is why Smackdown likely wouldn't air on Friday. It's a whole lot easier and cheaper (from a production/logistical pov) to have two back-to-back (Mon. & Tues.) live shows than one on Monday and the other on Friday.

Is it just me, or is the New Fox turning into a better run, more experienced and more capitalized version of Sinclair?

Aside from the NFL (and other pro sports), the parallels are developing, especially with Wrestling and "balanced" news.....

I have a feeling that the upcoming divorce between 20th and New Fox will come back to bite them when there's little left to program the network...

Archived