Fox Network Sports Offerings

TVNewsLover

I could see KSTU (plus even a station like KSWB or former Meredith-owned WOFL) flipped to Meredith as trade bait for KVVU really, really easily--and that point is when I would begin to wonder out loud whether FOX will bid on both the AFC *AND* NFC Sunday packages when they're back on the market.

I get Salt Lake is a growing market, but I can't see them getting a football team any time soon.

How would bidding on both packages work? The NFL wants more exposure, not less. Unless one package goes on MNTV?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How would bidding on both packages work? The NFL wants more exposure, not less. Unless one package goes on MNTV?

And the NFL will never go to MyNetworkTV or The CW because if neither The WB or UPN carried a single NFL game (not counting preseason games) then why should we expect either The CW or MyNetwork to carry an NFL game beyond some affiliates having local/regional rights to carry that team's preseason games?

And the NFL will never go to MyNetworkTV or The CW because if neither The WB or UPN carried a single NFL game (not counting preseason games) then why should we expect either The CW or MyNetwork to carry an NFL game beyond some affiliates having local/regional rights to carry that team's preseason games?

I wasn’t advocating for that. I was trying to make the point that Fox getting both afternoon packages doesn’t make sense.

I wasn’t advocating for that. I was trying to make the point that Fox getting both afternoon packages doesn’t make sense.

And besides that NFL rules prohibits networks from acquiring rights to carry both the AFC and the NFC so Fox wouldn't be able to get the AFC package and retain the NFC package anyway

And besides that NFL rules prohibits networks from acquiring rights to carry both the AFC and the NFC so Fox wouldn't be able to get the AFC package and retain the NFC package anyway

I don’t think there’s an NFL rule that prohibits it. Again, I was trying to make the point that it makes no sense to allow the same network to get both packages (others have brought it up again and again on here in different threads).

I don’t think there’s an NFL rule that prohibits it. Again, I was trying to make the point that it makes no sense to allow the same network to get both packages (others have brought it up again and again on here in different threads).

Apparently there is actually a rule about networks having both afternoon packages, I'll do my research on it and I'll edit this post when I get done with that

EDIT: you're right, I'm wrong, there is no such thing as an NFL rule that prohibits one network from airing both conferences

Actually, UPN carried the XFL For a couple of months, disastrous. And now with the XFL coming back I doubt it'll carried on the CW or My net tv.

Only way is if they were still branded under the Fox or CBS banner, like ESPN on ABC. MNT games could be under the Fox umbrella and CW under the CBS umbrella. But I still couldn’t see it.

Actually, UPN carried the XFL For a couple of months, disastrous. And now with the XFL coming back I doubt it'll carried on the CW or My net tv.

UPN or the WB never had the NFL. Many of the Paramount owned UPN affiliates had deals with the MLB, however. Just because they had the XFL, a second-rate football league owned by a professional wrestling magnate, doesn't make them a sports market.

There's also the fact that MyNetworkTV is not a network.

I wouldn't be so sure about that with today's SCOTUS decision on sports gambling...

The leagues have exalted their death grip on their sports to the point that LOCAL sports coverage (NBA or MLB team games on broadcast stations) is nearly extinct. And the only exception with the NFL is a local simulcast of NFL Network games on a local station or a station having the rights to preseason contests.

All anyone else can do is try their own league and hope it gets a following, that is unless the major leagues lobby to shut them down when (or if) they challenge their monopolies...

That's probably why all the sports you'll see on OTHER stations is either high school or SMALL college stuff, niche sports or third rate content like Ring Of Honor Wrestling....

UPN or the WB never had the NFL. Many of the Paramount owned UPN affiliates had deals with the MLB, however. Just because they had the XFL, a second-rate football league owned by a professional wrestling magnate, doesn't make them a sports market.

Besides that most if not, all of the MLB TV deals were done by individual teams and affiliates so UPN/WB did had the MLB but it was done at the local/regional level and not at the national level (like it was with Fox and ESPN at the time)

I thought XFL was NBC? and even if they are coming back i doubt FOX or MyNet would carry it.

The original XFL was on NBC I'm not sure about the new XFL this time around, all I know is that's for the speculatron thread

The original XFL was on NBC I'm not sure about the new XFL this time around, all I know is that's for the speculatron thread

oh ok. so once FOX buys out some of the stations would this mean that FNC would use these stations for breaking news coverage?

I thought XFL was NBC? and even if they are coming back i doubt FOX or MyNet would carry it.

NBC had the 'feature' game on Saturdays, with UPN and the Paramount Network (formally TNN, Spike TV, Spike) carrying games (1 in the afternoon (Paramount), 1 at night (UPN) on Sundays. It's easy to forget this stuff given this was nearly 20 yrs. ago.

oh ok. so once FOX buys out some of the stations would this mean that FNC would use these stations for breaking news coverage?

Yes, of course they would I see no reason why they couldn't do that.

FNC has always done that and they will continue to do so

Besides that most if not, all of the MLB TV deals were done by individual teams and affiliates so UPN/WB did had the MLB but it was done at the local/regional level and not at the national level (like it was with Fox and ESPN at the time)

If deals were at the local level, the networks themselves didn't have them.

If deals were at the local level, the networks themselves didn't have them.

That was what I said right? UPN/WB did show MLB but it was done by affiliates of markets involing local teams

That was what I said right? UPN/WB did show MLB but it was done by affiliates of markets involing local teams

Not really. What I think you meant is that some UPN/WB affiliates aired their local teams' games.

Well CBS isn’t losing the AFC package, they don’t want a repeat of 1994 so get all that nonsense about FOX acquiring both out of your head.

Well CBS isn’t losing the AFC package, they don’t want a repeat of 1994 so get all that nonsense about FOX acquiring both out of your head.

Besides that the current NFL deals doesn't expire until after the 2022 season so, the NFL will remain on CBS for awhile

Archived