WSVN Losing FOX affiliation?

TheMassMediaGeek

Just combine WLVI's programming inventories onto WHDH, or whatever will be left of it (does any other Boston station really WANT the NBC trio o' trash TV?), flip 56.1 to Buzzr or whatever turnkey subchannel is available and they'll be okay. It's absurd to stretch that inventory on two independent stations, especially when one already turned to news as a means to replace the loss of network programming.

I'd be surprised if WBFS 33 doesn't flip to the CW at the same time. It's too obvious a move to make.

Technically, Sunbeam CAN weather this because WLVI's RF netted them... what... $500M??? To say nothing about the durability of 7 News in both markets.

Could WLVI become an affiliate of MyNetworkTV if WSBK becomes The CW O&O?

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Could WLVI become an affiliate of MyNetworkTV if WSBK becomes The CW O&O?

What would the point be? MyTV is now nothing but a rerun block meant as filler programming. WSBK or WFXT could carry MyTV in the late night hours and no one would know the difference.

Just combine WLVI's programming inventories onto WHDH, or whatever will be left of it (does any other Boston station really WANT the NBC trio o' trash TV?), flip 56.1 to Buzzr or whatever turnkey subchannel is available and they'll be okay. It's absurd to stretch that inventory on two independent stations, especially when one already turned to news as a means to replace the loss of network programming.

I'd be surprised if WBFS 33 doesn't flip to the CW at the same time. It's too obvious a move to make.

Technically, Sunbeam CAN weather this because WLVI's RF netted them... what... $500M??? To say nothing about the durability of 7 News in both markets.

Maybe. Or maybe that WLVI had a history of being Boston's oldest UHF station and losing the WLVI brand would do terrible things for the market?

Maybe. Or maybe that WLVI had a history of being Boston's oldest UHF station and losing the WLVI brand would do terrible things for the market?

Does the average Boston resident really give a shit about the WLVI brand?

As an average Boston resident, I'll be happy to answer that. No. Absolutely not.

WLVI died in earnest in 2006, it's death warrant signed by the Inside Track gals at the Herald who made a baseless rumor about NBC and that Ansin overpaid out of spite. Sad thing is that had Tribune held on, odds are it would've ended up down the KDAF/KIAH/WDCW path by the start of the 2010s even considering how long-running and relatively solid WLVI's news department was.

I wonder how things would've been like had Tribune not done what we did. Would Boston have gotten Newsfix and Eyeopener? Would they have been sold off in this deal make a duopoly with WFXT (regardless of who owned them) or WCVB (assuming they could get a waiver) or would they end up a Sinclair station, probably linked to WJAR?

What would the point be? MyTV is now nothing but a rerun block meant as filler programming. WSBK or WFXT could carry MyTV in the late night hours and no one would know the difference.

So in other words if WLVI loses The CW to WSBK, then WLVI would just go off the air, move some of WLVI's syndication programming and their subchannels to WHDH. That makes sense, that's all I'm gonna say about Boston and what Sunbeam might do as that can be saved for the Speculatron thread.

WLVI would be a HELL of a lot better place for "NBC Boston" to land on....that is, if Ed Ansin is willing to sell.

But it could be a way for Ed Ansin to hold this over their heads in an "I told you so" way to the point that Comcast would do ANYTHING to buy WLVI.

But back to Fox....how long before they come knocking back to WFXT? Austin or Salt Lake City could be trade-bait markets.

WLVI would be a HELL of a lot better place for "NBC Boston" to land on....that is, if Ed Ansin is willing to sell.

But it could be a way for Ed Ansin to hold this over their heads in an "I told you so" way to the point that Comcast would do ANYTHING to buy WLVI.

NBC Boston wound up on a full-market signal vis-a-vis engineering shenanigans with LPTVs being able to latch onto the spectrum of full-power stations. And WNEU is going to move to Needham soon.

There's no reason to buy WLVI. What for, so they can be "NBC 56 Boston?"

All this scuttlebutt is merely fire for Fox to place a call to Ansin with the mere question "How much would it take for you to cash out?". At this point, given the loss in value WSVN would take, what good does standing pat do even if you're a billionaire?

Does the average Boston resident really give a shit about the WLVI brand?

The average Boston resident? Probably not.

The average elected official in a midterm year? Mayyyyyybe.

It's really sad how Tribune and Sunbeam just threw WLVI's news department into the aether because WFXT just so happened to have a better lead in, quality of product be damned. Everything I've seen of WFXT's news when WLVI still had a news department is awful tabloidy trash - not Sunbeam-level, but definitely in the Fox vein.

It's really sad how Tribune and Sunbeam just threw WLVI's news department into the aether because WFXT just so happened to have a better lead in, quality of product be damned. Everything I've seen of WFXT's news when WLVI still had a news department is awful tabloidy trash - not Sunbeam-level, but definitely in the Fox vein.

Blame pre-Zell Tribune's weak promotion (the WB/CW comes first everything local be damned), WPIX, KHCW/KIAH/KHWB, KWGN and every other Tribiune news op (WGN/KTLA excluded) suffered from this, despite all being solid editoral and talent wise(especially PIX with Jim and Kaity and Houston with Alan Hemberger/Sherry Williams) it's no wonder why Tribune had problems in later years.

Ed Ansin said if Fox were to drop its affiliation with WSVN in mid-2019, he would then make WSVN an independent news station. He would plan to add a 9 p.m. newscast to replace the loss of Fox programming, as well as pick up a syndicated show for 8 p.m

Its official... it seems like Ansin is thinking that WSVN will go Independent and that it will be a news-heavy station.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/113547/ansin-confident-in-wsvns-ongoing-success

If this is the case, this would make two strong independent stations in the state of Florida (WSVN one, the other being WJXT in Jacksonville).

And if I’m correct, doesn’t WSVN dominate the Miami market like WJXT in Jacksonville?? Two markets in the same state dominated by independent stations would be unprecedented!

Its official... it seems like Ansin is thinking that WSVN will go Independent and that it will be a news-heavy station.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/113547/ansin-confident-in-wsvns-ongoing-success

The article is more of a “what if”, not a confirmation that it’s gonna happen.

I must say to those who said that Fox would NEVER take the affiliation away from WSVN, what happen to the “never”? The same with those who say ABC doesn’t buy stations, which by the way is not completely true, as they did make an attempt to buy WJLA.

I’m a bit confused by Fox’s new approach of being content with just the Fox affiliates and not having the MNTV affiliates (Seattle, Denver, Miami, possibly Chicago).

*sighs* Farewell WSVN I hardly knew you.

Since 1989, WSVN has been an independent station that just so happened to hold the Fox affiliation. If anything, they’ll debut a 9pm newscast and dominate in that time slot.

The difference between WSVN and KRON are obvious:

• Ed didn’t pay $600M for WSVN
  • Ed fought in court (and won!) to make NBC honor their affiliation contract with the station, forcing NBC to run newly-purchased WTVJ as a CBS affiliate for nearly two years
  • Ed pumped gobs of money into WSVN’s news department upon the disaffiliation, something Young Broadcasting never did with KRON.

The difference between WSVN and KRON are obvious:

• Ed didn’t pay $600M for WSVN
  • Ed fought in court (and won!) to make NBC honor their affiliation contract with the station, forcing NBC to run newly-purchased WTVJ as a CBS affiliate for nearly two years
  • Ed pumped gobs of money into WSVN’s news department upon the disaffiliation, something Young Broadcasting never did with KRON.

There you go. Its why WSVN is #1 in Miami and why KRON is last in the Bay Area.

Archived