WSVN Losing FOX affiliation?

TheMassMediaGeek

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
*butt?

Ay! They need to stop this cold Turkey of not buy stations, So far the profits from two of the biggest movies, and its soon to be acquisition of 20th century fox. They HAVE the balls to buy stations in big markets what, dare i say is stopping them? Tax reasons?

ABC has been out of the business of acquiring stations since 2002. They last attempted to buy the USA Broadcasting stations in markets where they had ABC O&Os to form duopolies. If you’ll recall, USA Broadcasting was formed by Barry Diller with the former HSN stations sold by Bud Paxson. Paxson sold these stations in the late 1990s to fund the PAX network and the infrastructure for it.

Plus, The Walt Disney Company has been selling some assets off to fund the Fox deal, so what makes you think that they’re going to want more TV stations?

Poor Ed Ansin.

He may well be better off calling it a day and selling HDH + facilities to NBC and SVN + facilities to FOX.

Re: Austin—not sure why FOX would want to give up an O&O still deep in Cowboys territory but depending on how the Spanish language stations rate, Sinclair MAY be able to pull that one off.

Also a little surprised WDAF isn’t on that list—forget that it’s an old O&O, if you’re all-in on football, you’ll take the Browns who always stink but not a very loyal (and competitive) Chiefs audience into the mix?

ABC has been out of the business of acquiring stations since 2002. They last attempted to buy the USA Broadcasting stations in markets where they had ABC O&Os to form duopolies. If you’ll recall, USA Broadcasting was formed by Barry Diller with the former HSN stations sold by Bud Paxson. Paxson sold these stations in the late 1990s to fund the PAX network and the infrastructure for it.

Plus, The Walt Disney Company has been selling some assets off to fund the Fox deal, so what makes you think that they’re going to want more TV stations?

Well like FOX, CBS, and even NBC they all have expanded their portfolios, make great investments to their stations, and yes while FOX gave up a few stations for awhile only to buy it back after 10 years, it's sacrifice. CBS can do the same with austins KEYE.

NBC's acquisition of the remaining Telemundo stations from ZGS was a breakthrough. Univision should have thought about it with entravision given that they have cut half of the stations newscasts across the country.

So to answer the question, ABC/ disney needs to sacrifice, keep selling some assets, restart or reinvest their portfolio, set aside their profits in the hopes that one day their O&Os Station base will be far greater than that of NBC or CBS, who knows they might catch up to FOX.

Guest Former Member 207
Poor Ed Ansin.

He may well be better off calling it a day and selling HDH + facilities to NBC and SVN + facilities to FOX.

Re: Austin—not sure why FOX would want to give up an O&O still deep in Cowboys territory but depending on how the Spanish language stations rate, Sinclair MAY be able to pull that one off.

Also a little surprised WDAF isn’t on that list—forget that it’s an old O&O, if you’re all-in on football, you’ll take the Browns who always stink but not a very loyal (and competitive) Chiefs audience into the mix?

Ansin might be better off to sell the Sunbeam properties, WHDH/WLVI included, to Fox. It wouldn't surprise me in the least that they would itching to get back into O&O ownership in Boston. Just like in Miami, CBS owns a second station in Boston (WSBK) that they could move the CW affiliation to, once the contracts expire. I'm sure Cox could do fine running an independent (WFXT) in market #9.

Maybe it's just me but I'm still not sold that Fox will move the affiliation from WSVN to WSFL considering WSVN's ratings strength and given the fact that it hasn't been exactly easy for them with WJZY in Charlotte in building a news operation from scratch.,

I’ve never understood why Murdoch taps people from the news division to run the TV stations division. If anything, should Jack Abernethy be ousted, I could see Dianne Doctor, WWOR’s GM and director of affiliate relations for FNC being tapped to run the group.

Given her track record in New York, let's hope that doesn't happen.

NBC's acquisition of the remaining Telemundo stations from ZGS was a breakthrough. Univision should have thought about it with entravision given that they have cut half of the stations newscasts across the country.

Given Univision's debt problems, I don't know.

Given [Diane Doctor's] track record in New York, let's hope that doesn't happen.

Not to get too off topic, but before she ended up with Fox wasn't she the woman who helped keep WNBC in some sort of mid 90s hell while the rest of the group was getting Novocom graphics? Way back in the infancy of the old LND, the red line at WNBC was like the first meme/running joke of this forum.

*butt?

Ay! They need to stop this cold Turkey of not buy stations, So far the profits from two of the biggest movies, and its soon to be acquisition of 20th century fox. They HAVE the balls to buy stations in big markets what, dare i say is stopping them? Tax reasons?

Oh boy, here we go again.

Disney is a HUGE company. They have a lot of stuff going on at any given time. Adding more TV stations to their portfolio is pretty far down the list of priorities. To top it off, the TV group isn't making a whole lot of money (if any.) Just because the movie studio is making money, doesn't mean that ABC gets to take it. Corporate finance doesn't really work like that.

Other groups buying stations doesn't mean a damn thing. Given the current state of the industry, what motivation does Disney have to buy more stations? It's already struggling to keep ESPN afloat, so they know all to well that the reality is fewer and fewer people are watching TV. How are we surprised that Disney is adverse to buying more broadcast TV stations?

Hell, they probably can't even sell the stations they have. Who could afford them? Who could buy them without having to completely upend their entire company and deal with selling off some of their own assets?

This is the state of the TV industry in 2018, folks.

Disney is a HUGE company. They have a lot of stuff going on at any given time. Adding more TV stations to their portfolio is pretty far down the list of priorities. To top it off, the TV group isn't making a whole lot of money (if any.) Just because the movie studio is making money, doesn't mean that ABC gets to take it. Corporate finance doesn't really work like that.

Other groups buying stations doesn't mean a damn thing. Given the current state of the industry, what motivation does Disney have to buy more stations? It's already struggling to keep ESPN afloat, so they know all to well that the reality is fewer and fewer people are watching TV. How are we surprised that Disney is adverse to buying more broadcast TV stations?

Hell, they probably can't even sell the stations they have. Who could afford them? Who could buy them without having to completely upend their entire company and deal with selling off some of their own assets?

This is the state of the TV industry in 2018, folks.

Well then there's one other option, ABC splitting from disney, like cbs with viacom (now that they're about to reaquire again). Start restructuring and get things right for a change.

As much as I'd love to see it, Disney isn't gonna give up their guaranteed cross-promotional outlet. ABC has been the kid brother of the major networks for years but that doesn't seem to bother them too much.

I was thinking maybe WSVN could do an affilation switch from FOX to CW but i guess not.....unless they do an affiliation switch with WBFS? (have CW on WBFS and MyNetworkTV on WSVN.)

I was thinking maybe WSVN could do an affilation switch from FOX to CW but i guess not.....unless they do an affiliation switch with WBFS? (have CW on WBFS and MyNetworkTV on WSVN.)

Either way. This spells the (could be) end for WSVN.

If WHDH can survive and thrive as an indie than so can WSVN. Look at NBC's mess in Boston.... And any station in Miami is going to have it that much harder because of the Spanish language stations (AND WSVN) pushing the big 4s into duopoly bait territory....

Yeah. But i can imagine how hard an tired they have to go through putting a semi 24 hour news station.

I don’t necessarily believe that FOX wants to move the affiliation to WSFL, there are many instances where a network owns a station, but it doesn’t necessarily mean it wants to reclaim the affiliation... for example, CBS, through Viacom, owned the WB and later UPN station in our market for almost a decade, yet never tried to reclaim the affiliation from WBNS... same in Providence and Indy. FOX merely wants a presence there in case negotiations with Ed Ansin sour, and they can move the affiliation to WSFL.

Is WSFL Union or Non-union?

How about WSVN?

Wild theory that probably belongs in Speculatron but it's something I've quietly wondered about ever since the Disney-Fox deal was announced: If the acquisition of the Fox assets turns into a major bidding war, I don't think it's totally out of the realm of possibility to see Disney selling off ABC + the O&Os to make some quick cash and partially finance an inflated price tag.

Who would want ABC? I can think of one company, and they're named in the title of this thread.

Yes. Really. Serious.

Wild theory that probably belongs in Speculatron but it's something I've quietly wondered about ever since the Disney-Fox deal was announced: If the acquisition of the Fox assets turns into a major bidding war, I don't think it's totally out of the realm of possibility to see Disney selling off ABC + the O&Os to make some quick cash and partially finance an inflated price tag.

Who would want ABC? I can think of one company, and they're named in the title of this thread.

Yes. Really. Serious.

Disney would just as soon take ABC to a digital-only platform before they sell it off. Regardless of the low importance of ABC at the House of Mouse and their disinterest in buying TV stations, the network is still a marketing tool for the company.

Or, they take ABC digital-only, and sell the OTA remains in a Weather Channel-type scenario.

Archived