The End of Action News and Eyewitness News

rkolsen

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1995-2008 exactly. News 4 New York before then starting in 1980 and News 4 New York now since 2008.

Don't forget, WPIX used Action News in the 70s.

WAGA was Eyewitness News in the 70s and 80s as well.

EDIT: WAGA not WNYW

It is, however, Skypath is operated from Comcast's global operations campus outside Denver, not New York anymore. I think quite a few affiliates receive their network signal via satellite and not fiber.

Skypath is the name (seems current based on a job posting) to their Ku/C Band distribution system. Supposedly at the turn of the century they designed it so they could do regional ads but I assume never went out. They also have Skycastle a unit of the own stations that’s designed to make marketing campaigns (I think including those outside tv/web).

It is, however, Skypath is operated from Comcast's global operations campus outside Denver, not New York anymore. I think quite a few affiliates receive their network signal via satellite and not fiber.

The job posting was for uplinking and managing the network services in 30 Rock. I was told about a year ago from an engineer that the four main feeds for NBC and Telemundo are uplinked from one of the buildings next to the Fox News one. I know the NBC and Telemundo stations are hubbed there.

According to this Centennial operation is the Owned TV hub, TV Everywhere and the disaster recovery site for all stations.

https://sjobs.brassring.com/TGnewUI/Search/home/HomeWithPreLoad?PageType=JobDetails&partnerid=25354&siteid=5108&jobid=380038#jobDetails=380038_5108

But according to this NBC may uplink now from Englewood with the cable networks but the earth station licenses in NYC are still active according to the FCC.

https://sjobs.brassring.com/TGnewUI/Search/home/HomeWithPreLoad?PageType=JobDetails&partnerid=25354&siteid=5108&jobid=401592#jobDetails=401592_5108

The job posting was for uplinking and managing the network services in 30 Rock. I was told about a year ago from an engineer that the four main feeds for NBC and Telemundo are uplinked from one of the buildings next to the Fox News one. I know the NBC and Telemundo stations are hubbed there.

According to this Centennial operation is the Owned TV hub, TV Everywhere and the disaster recovery site for all stations.

https://sjobs.brassring.com/TGnewUI/Search/home/HomeWithPreLoad?PageType=JobDetails&partnerid=25354&siteid=5108&jobid=380038#jobDetails=380038_5108

But according to this NBC may uplink now from Englewood with the cable networks but the earth station licenses in NYC are still active according to the FCC.

https://sjobs.brassring.com/TGnewUI/Search/home/HomeWithPreLoad?PageType=JobDetails&partnerid=25354&siteid=5108&jobid=401592#jobDetails=401592_5108

As of a year ago the uplinks were still sent and monitored from Manhattan, but that may have changed (I honestly don't see why it wouldn't). Skypath, though, is controlled from Centennial.

I know this is outside the scope of this thread. I apologize for taking it a bit off topic, but I find this stuff fascinating.

• 1 year later...

At ABC7 WLS Chicago in 2013, after a 17-year absence by calling themselves ABC7 NEWS, they brought back Eyewitness News.

https://www.robertfeder.com/2013/10/16/abc-7-looks-forward-to-return-of-eyewitness-news/

WLS launched the Eyewitness News format in 1969 with Joel Daly and Fahey Flynn, which was a year after the format was born at sister station WABC New York in 1968. However, 27 years later, WLS dumped that Eyewitness News name for ABC7 News branding. But now, after a 17-year absence, the name is back. This time, WLS is now calling themselves ABC7 Eyewitness News.

In Philadelphia, the birthplace of Eyewitness News, the format was launched at KYW in 1965. This was then widespread to other Group W stations (now part of the CBS O&O family). But in 1991, KYW dumped Eyewitness News for various titles before and after the switch from NBC to CBS (The News Tonight, NewsDay, NewsBeat and KYW News 3). Here's the good news, not only did KYW brought back the Eyewitness News name in 1998, but KYW began calling themselves CBS3 Eyewitness News in 2003. Still going strong today.

That just goes to show that the Eyewitness News name hasn't completely died in some markets.

WTVD ABC 11 still uses Eyewitness News

WRAL uses "Action News" back in the 70s until the mid 80s. ABC 11 has used it on and off longest stint is right now 2001-present, before that it was News Channel 11 ABC  for 5 years 1996-2001 then before that News Channel 11 from 1994-1996. Then WTVD 11 News from 1983-1994 then before that was there first stint at Eyewitness News.

Interesting topic. I think Eyewitness News and Action News are so synonymous with the stations that brand themselves as such that if they were to get rid of them it would have to be for a good reason and would also take an obscene amount of time, money and effort. NYC, LA, Chicago, Philadelphia, Houston and Fresno each use one or the other brands for their newscast and have remained #1 in their respective markets for decades.

And the first Action News theme was actually used in quite a few markets in the early 1970's....

The black round thing is called a "record" which was an acoustic analog playback media. They were not edible, nor could they be smoked or vaped.

16 hours ago, Eat News said:

And the first Action News theme was actually used in quite a few markets in the early 1970's....

The black round thing is called a "record" which was an acoustic analog playback media. They were not edible, nor could they be smoked or vaped.

Not so fast...back in the 70s they tried to smoke everything 😂

On 12/11/2019 at 9:58 AM, MorningNews said:

Interesting topic. I think Eyewitness News and Action News are so synonymous with the stations that brand themselves as such that if they were to get rid of them it would have to be for a good reason and would also take an obscene amount of time, money and effort. NYC, LA, Chicago, Philadelphia, Houston and Fresno each use one or the other brands for their newscast and have remained #1 in their respective markets for decades.

Sadly, the station that originated the Eyewitness News brand, KYW is an absolute dumpster fire and is making a complete mockery of the brand. 

22 minutes ago, WCAUTVNBC10 said:

Not so fast...back in the 70s they tried to smoke everything 😂

Sadly, the station that originated the Eyewitness News brand, KYW is an absolute dumpster fire and is making a complete mockery of the brand. 

If KYW is making a mockery of the Eyewitness News brand, I would love to get your take on the use of it by Nexstar in Utica. 90 minutes of news, weeknights only, such Eyewitnesses.

Archived