"New" WFAA Set–Victory

I know we have the "speculation" thread going for this, but I figured I'd just go ahead and make it official. Here's some pics of WFAA's refreshed Victory Park Studio...

IMG_9603.thumb.jpeg.893c39c813028ff85130e723c49c6374.jpeg

IMG_9627.thumb.jpeg.ecd17f43529743b20525494325e78dc4.jpeg

(Now my thoughts...)

I say "refreshed," because the set still has the same basic layout as it did before, and reuses the same skeleton and monitors as before. The only "new" things are the wood paneling, the monitor behind the desk, the anchor desk, the weather desk and the lighting.

Their previous set was designed by Jack Morton, and I believe Jack Morton is who designed TEGNA's now classic "Set-in-a-box." I have to imagine Jack Morton did this redesign too, however I have not been able to confirm that.

If someone would like to explain to me what WFAA's obsession with play buttons is about, please do, because I'm at a loss. This one really stumps me, even for TEGNA!

Also, one has to wonder what will now happen with WFAA's old main set at their Young Street building. This redesign at Victory was not very substantial when you compare it to what TEGNA has done for its other stations. Seeing that WFAA is TEGNA's largest station, I have to think they deserve a set that's at least on par with TEGNA's next largest station (WUSA). This Victory set is not. But TEGNA has proven that its willing to support a station with two sets (see KHOU's plan for a new street side studio similar to WFAA's), so I have a hunch we'll see more of a major redesign at Young Street.

Anyway, here ya go! Enjoy and opine!

IMG_9557.thumb.jpeg.8eca669cee34f3c061d4757037bbc8f5.jpeg

IMG_9560.thumb.jpeg.5a552038a4f1b1e2ee0ece2a0d73da53.jpeg

IMG_9601.thumb.JPG.cefc63efc56bb6df2ed112098d6dbabf.JPG

IMG_9602.thumb.JPG.4b708deaa7a095393b92a27c8c025a0f.JPG

IMG_9616.thumb.jpeg.a735c0da9b513bc961b78a0a47371221.jpeg

IMG_9618.thumb.jpeg.e4344640592269b3f013d2abb9cef672.jpeg

IMG_9619.thumb.jpeg.09a5b568dad88fff81955e23726ba8c9.jpeg

IMG_9625.thumb.jpeg.6aabefed392d1e3fd034f34137642928.jpeg

I already said this in the other thread, but I guess I'll rinse-and-repeat...

I don't understand the new right-pointing triangles/play-button motifs either. Do we click them with a mouse? Do the anchors press them to start video of a story? Just a decoration? I'm afraid Tegna's still got me shaking my head. The "WFAA News" thing is such a huge change--similar in scope of dropping the "Spirit of Texas" image campaign. At least their L3's are passable compared to others in the Tegnasphere (umm, KYTX, maybe? >ugh!<). And that breaking-news red all over the video wall drowns out the whole news set (almost like they're doing the news at a Target store!). I'm glad they got a redo but it's not an A+ in my book. Not ugly, but rethink some things.

I already said this in the other thread, but I guess I'll rinse-and-repeat...

I don't understand the new right-pointing triangles/play-button motifs either. Do we click them with a mouse? Do the anchors press them to start video of a story? Just a decoration? I'm afraid Tegna's still got me shaking my head. The "WFAA News" thing is such a huge change--similar in scope of dropping the "Spirit of Texas" image campaign. At least their L3's are passable compared to others in the Tegnasphere (umm, KYTX, maybe? >ugh!<). And that breaking-news red all over the video wall drowns out the whole news set (almost like they're doing the news at a Target store!). I'm glad they got a redo but it's not an A+ in my book. Not ugly, but rethink some things.

My thoughts exactly!

Their logo is now 3 different shapes. It's like a modern version of UPN.

Upn1995.png File:Upn1995.png

OMG, I hadn't even thought of it that way, but you're right. :D

I scrolled back up to the stills... poor John McCaa has that look like, "WTH kind of fun-house crap is this??" :confused:o_O

You people act like the play button look is ruining WFAA. Clearly you have not witnessed the major rebrand campaign take place over the course of the past 5 months... :rolleyes:

Anyways, welcome to 2018. Where TV News is dying and stations are trying to reinvent themselves. And guess what? This works for WFAA.

You people act like the play button look is ruining WFAA. Clearly you have not witnessed the major rebrand campaign take place over the course of the past 5 months... :rolleyes:

Anyways, welcome to 2018. Where TV News is dying and stations are trying to reinvent themselves. And guess what? This works for WFAA.

Play buttons have been showing up in promos for months before the launch.

Believe me I've witnessed the slow introduction to the play button. I just think that now there's too much of it and it still doesn't really make sense either. I understand they're trying to make a "digital first" push, but to me a play button does not mean "digital news" or even "digital news video." It means "digital nonsensical video." And to me it definitely doesn't make sense to incorporate it the way they have on the non-digital side of things, where a play button makes no sense anyway. For instance, I don't have to tap a play button to watch them on TV. If I'm a viewer who only watches them on TV and I've never seen a play button before, I'd be really confused as to why they have triangles plastered all over their studio walls. (Yes, I know this type of person is increasingly rare, but they're still there).

Also, the play button is being forced on us so much that you'd think it must be something unique to WFAA, that no one else could have a play button, which is not true. But they dumped their branding that used to be unique. Only one station could be "the spirit of Texas." Meanwhile every station could be the play button station if they wanted to be.

The point is that your marketing should be very clear and simple for EVERYONE to understand what you are. This is not.

• 4 weeks later...

I wouldn't be surprised. There has been quite the shove-out-the-door with vets and those in high-pay on-air jobs up to now since Tegna's ownership. John and Dale are some of the last of WFAA's on-air talent that haven't been 'reduced' or 'retired' or 'spending more time with family'. I've noticed the same with KYTX, almost everyone there now is new, much cheaper, or both since Tegna came along.

I have on good authority he'll be hanging it up sometime late this year or early next year.

You could say the same for Dale Hansen when his contract is up, but that stuff can be discussed elsewhere.

Archived