5 hours ago, JRogotzke said:

Gray doesn't need KNBN (NBC), they are locally owned and I doubt Jim would sell since he's been putting effort and money into the quality of the station. Gray already has 2 stations in Rapid City, KOTA (ABC) & KEVN (FOX). If Gray wanted to do something they could improve what they already have, maybe we'll see "Black Hills News Now"?  They are getting by with the bare minimum in terms of stories, talent and amount of produced newscasts all while the quality, content and personalities at KNBN are picking up, they might be a small locally owned station in an old building with an old set, but when it comes to local/state politics, in-depth reporting and breaking news KNBN owns it. -- I live in Western SD so I watch these stations everyday.

I can't see a KOTA/ KEVN/KNBN TV TRIOPOLY in Rapid.  Also a KSFY/KDLT/KTTW in Sioux Falls. I know Topeka, KS, and Youngstown, Ohio, have this scenario. Will see what happens. 

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

Yes, it's an LP. But I wouldn't think the DOJ would allow Gray to acquire a station like KNBN.

I believe it would only work should Nexstar ever decide to separate KCLO from the rest of the KELOland and create a western South Dakota specific station.

BTW: Gray appearantly still has their proposed purchase of KCPM in Grand Forks, ND still pending.

• 1 month later...
On 1/14/2020 at 9:31 PM, JCB4TV said:

I believe it would only work should Nexstar ever decide to separate KCLO from the rest of the KELOland and create a western South Dakota specific station.

BTW: Gray appearantly still has their proposed purchase of KCPM in Grand Forks, ND still pending.

Looks like the KCPM deal is off now that the license had to be returned.

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, CubsFan79 said:

KSFY TV 13.2 has added a 9 pm broadcast on “ DAKOTA NEWS NOW” starting April 6. One of Gray TV improvements since the KSFY- KDLT TV merger.

From their webpage, they were going to launch the new 9pm later in the year.

While Dakota News Now originally planned to launch a 9 p.m. newscast in the fall, the current news landscape surrounding the coronavirus outbreak made now a logical time to add another the extra half hour of news programming.

2 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

Sioux Falls finally has primetime news at 9 p.m.

For the record, Rapid City has had a 9 p.m. newscast for almost 20 years (not counting KCLO and their simulcast of KELOLand News).

Wait, almost? Did KEVN not move its late news to 9:00 right when it switched to Fox in ‘96?

1 hour ago, T.L. Hughes said:

Wait, almost? Did KEVN not move its late news to 9:00 right when it switched to Fox in ‘96?

Oh haha. Sorry. Didnt have the right info on my brain at that time. But yeah... 24 years compared to just, a new thing for KSFY/KDLT.

Archived