1 hour ago, TheRob said:

I was going to mention it too, that's way too much news for a market like Sioux Falls. These are stations with perhaps two reporters on a shift if they're lucky, anchors who produce their own newscasts and run the assignment desk, no extra photogs. You're basically going to see the same newscast five or six times.

Don't even ask about Pierre. The town is isolated, and doesn't contain much more than the capitol. It's one of the smallest capital cities in the nation.

Re: Pierre, it is about 160 miles from Rapid City and about 200 miles from Sioux Falls. That's a big geographic area in central South Dakota with no real local news at all. Since Gray probably already has a presence there with a bureau, they could just add an additional reporter and make one of them an anchor - even once or twice a weekday (such as at 5:30 pm and 6:00 pm or something like that) with weather out of Sioux Falls. They already do that in Scottsbluff, NE (I believe except for the evening news there, it is all out of North Platte, but they do have several Scottsbluff-based newscasts). 

The population of Pierre is about 15,000 with about 60,000 in central South Dakota.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, GoldenShine9 said:

Re: Pierre, it is about 160 miles from Rapid City and about 200 miles from Sioux Falls. That's a big geographic area in central South Dakota with no real local news at all. Since Gray probably already has a presence there with a bureau, they could just add an additional reporter and make one of them an anchor - even once or twice a weekday (such as at 5:30 pm and 6:00 pm or something like that) with weather out of Sioux Falls. They already do that in Scottsbluff, NE. 

Rapid City has a different TV DMA. GRAY Owns KOTA/KEVN TV.  KNBN TV. KCLO TV  is only SIoux Falls station  in Rapid City. Rapid serves the western SD. Sioux Falls the rest of the state except Union County..

2 minutes ago, CubsFan79 said:

Rapid City has a different TV DMA. GRAY Owns KOTA/KEVN TV.  KNBN TV. KCLO TV  is only SIoux Falls station  in Rapid City. Rapid serves the western SD. Sioux Falls the rest of the state except Union County..

Pierre is in the Sioux Falls DMA, but the western half of the DMA is really one of the most isolated in the nation from any local news.

KNBN is locally owned, while KCLO is a satellite of KELO.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

KDLT is going to add news at 4pm, and will shift the 5 & 6pm to 5:30 & 6:30pm respectively, eliminating the overlap from KSFY. 

Also syndie shows will be shifted around. Because of the new 4pm, the current 2-5pm shows on KDLT will be shifted an hour earlier. Family Feud will be bumped to 11am on KSFY. And first run Jeopardy! will be moved to 5pm on KDLT.

On 1/2/2020 at 1:37 PM, CircleSeven said:

KDLT is going to add news at 4pm, and will shift the 5 & 6pm to 5:30 & 6:30pm respectively, eliminating the overlap from KSFY. 

Also syndie shows will be shifted around. Because of the new 4pm, the current 2-5pm shows on KDLT will be shifted an hour earlier. Family Feud will be bumped to 11am on KSFY. And first run Jeopardy! will be moved to 5pm on KDLT.

I also take it the KDLT will air NBC Nightly News at 6:00 p.m.

On 1/2/2020 at 2:37 PM, CircleSeven said:

So far, they're following on commitments made to the FCC regarding their plans. That's just phase one. Next? More morning news + 9pm news on The CW and even weekend morning news on KSFY.

18 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

More details from the Argus-Leader.  The weekday 5-7am & 10pm and weekend evenings will be simulcasted on BOTH KSFY & KDLT.

There is an error on that story.

Since NBC Nightly News is live at 5:30 every night, not at 5:00, KDLT's Sunday night news will have to be at 5:00 while apparently, KSFY's continues at 5:30 p.m.

On 1/9/2020 at 5:14 PM, CircleSeven said:

More details from the Argus-Leader.  The weekday 5-7am & 10pm and weekend evenings will be simulcasted on BOTH KSFY & KDLT.

On 1/9/2020 at 7:56 PM, GoldenShine9 said:

Taking another page from the old Raycom playbook.

Just up I-29 in Fargo, Gray's KVLY and KX4 (KXJB) have had this exact same simulcast since 2007. This dates back to when Hoak owned or operated the stations, though.

12 hours ago, blizzard59 said:

Just up I-29 in Fargo, Gray's KVLY and KX4 (KXJB) have had this exact same simulcast since 2007. This dates back to when Hoak owned or operated the stations, though.

I'm surprised that the Nebraska Gray stations haven't adopted that shared branding "Nebraska News Now", even though they are based in multiple cities (Scottsbluff, North Platte, Hastings, Lincoln, Omaha with satellites across the state).

A brutal start to that newscast. Between the ringing iPhone, the delay pulling up the reporter’s camera shot, her mic problem and the weather forecast then black then the right video being played behind the reporter, pretty rough. Also ... what a snoozer of a lead story. 

10 hours ago, Greggo said:

A brutal start to that newscast. Between the ringing iPhone, the delay pulling up the reporter’s camera shot, her mic problem and the weather forecast then black then the right video being played behind the reporter, pretty rough. Also ... what a snoozer of a lead story. 

The start of the 6pm show was a disaster, too. I don't have a problem with the lead story as stuff like that impacts a lot of people. 

14 hours ago, JCB4TV said:

I wonder if Gray has KNBN in their crosshairs.

Gray doesn't need KNBN (NBC), they are locally owned and I doubt Jim would sell since he's been putting effort and money into the quality of the station. Gray already has 2 stations in Rapid City, KOTA (ABC) & KEVN (FOX). If Gray wanted to do something they could improve what they already have, maybe we'll see "Black Hills News Now"?  They are getting by with the bare minimum in terms of stories, talent and amount of produced newscasts all while the quality, content and personalities at KNBN are picking up, they might be a small locally owned station in an old building with an old set, but when it comes to local/state politics, in-depth reporting and breaking news KNBN owns it. -- I live in Western SD so I watch these stations everyday.

Archived