Welcome, Guest!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CircleSeven

KIEM Rebrand

On Thursday, KIEM rebranded its newscasts from News Channel 3 to Redwood News.

Along with a rebrand of the news came with this......

31445118_2006121126096701_5096873613269663744_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=abbb8d2fbf17be6a111e9bf30d79182e&oe=5B97C6EA

Not a bad rebrand for a station that's literally based out of a doublewide trailer.

I feel almost compelled to say we need a funeral for the old NASCAR 3 logo.

The rebrand and new look is okay. Still a dated look but much better than before.

— Matt

They needed this refresher forever ago to be honest. I'm surprised it took them so long to get with the times despite the fact it feels like a college-produced newscast.

And they’re using This Is The Place as music. Why am I not surprised?

It's a news package from the 2010s. That's a substantive upgrade.

I never liked the 3D-ishness of the old number logo, but this new number logo seems like it's in a half-done font. It's just weird-looking. Never seen a 3 like it. The upper-right part of the numeral needs straightened.

I don't mind "Redwood News", homey as it kind of is, but I'd prefer the channel number mentioned as well.

Does KIEM accept advertising from the local marijuana industry?

actually I should make that its own topic...

I never liked the 3D-ishness of the old number logo, but this new number logo seems like it's in a half-done font. It's just weird-looking. Never seen a 3 like it. The upper-right part of the numeral needs straightened.

I had a KESQ vibe when I saw this logo... at least the numeral anyway.

9W_eXlxC_400x400.jpg

The old KIEM logo reeked of 80s... the new one looks mid-market late 90s.

That set looks like it's from a college station.

I don't know if I can say if it "blurs" the line between a college and "pro" set myself.

I almost forgot to mention there could be a reason why they rebrand it "Redwood News". There's some new job postions stating that they wanted to start airing news on sister CBS outlet KVIQ-LD.

For one of the positions:

In this full-time position, you will produce, anchor and report for the market’s news leader, KIEM-DT (NBC), as well as help launch news on our CBS affiliate, KVIQ-LP (CBS). Our right candidate will be self-motivated, organized, and have strong journalism skills.

It doesn't seem to make much sense to keep CBS on an LP when the main full power channel has no subchannels.

It doesn't seem to make much sense to keep CBS on an LP when the main full power channel has no subchannels.

They might not have the equipment. KVIQ is apparently being moved to an LPTV upon Brian Brady also buying KIEM (Prime Cities Broadcasting bought the full-power station and recalled it KJRW).

The question is, honestly — why use this puny signal?

They might not have the equipment. KVIQ is apparently being moved to an LPTV upon Brian Brady also buying KIEM (Prime Cities Broadcasting bought the full-power station and recalled it KJRW).

The question is, honestly — why use this puny signal?

That shows KVIQ-LP's old analog signal. Their digital signal is more comparable to what they had on the full-power KVIQ.

That shows KVIQ-LP's old analog signal. Their digital signal is more comparable to what they had on the full-power KVIQ.

Thank you! That makes a lot more sense.

KJRW, the full-power KVIQ licensee (apparently it's still carrying the KVIQ feed? I'm not too sure), applied for an STA yesterday to go silent. While KJRW has double the ERP, that's not much of a coverage difference.

The STA states:

"KJRW had technical problems, which were not able to be remedied within thirty days of the station’s having been taken silent. The public interest would be served by grant of the requested STA, to enable the licensee to resolve the problems and resume local television broadcast service to residents of Eureka, California. Accordingly, Special Temporary Authority to remain silent for an additional 180 days pending resolution of the problems is respectfully requested"

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using TVNewsTalk you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.