KNBC

John2016

The station should create a sports theme show beside Going Roggin and have Fred Roggin host the show. This show should be broadcast after their sporting events.

The station should invest more in their sports department.

As far as Today In LA, Kathy Vara should be promoted to be co-anchor of the broadcast.

KNBC seems to have the least sports presence in the market, despite having one of the senior most sports anchors. Fred joined KNBC in 1980 I believe. I know he had some drug addiction issues early on in his career but has bounced back and become one of the most popular sports personalities in the market, second only to Jim Hill at KCBS who has been in position since the late 1970s. I believe KNBC is focused more on their iTeam brand. Fred has a weekday lunchtime radio show as well on AM 570 LA Sports.

I fully agree with Kathy Vara. I feel she has really grown since returning from KABC several years ago. She is a familiar face and would be a jolt to Today in LA, which is boring in its current state. She is a waste on the weekends, but it seems like she is happy there as well. I know she talks about here battle with lupus so it could be a health related decision I can argue with that since she does general reporting during the week. Could just be a quality of live decision. I am sure that AM grind can wear on an individual. She did morning TV from the time she originally joined KNBC in 1994 and anchored the morning news on KABC as well. I would emphatically support Kathy's return to Today in LA if the offer would be extended to her.

Guest Former Member 207
The station should create a sports theme show beside Going Roggin and have Fred Roggin host the show. This show should be broadcast after their sporting events.

The station should invest more in their sports department.

As far as Today In LA, Kathy Vara should be promoted to be co-anchor of the broadcast.

They have a show like that...it's called The Challenge. Albeit, it's a seasonal show, but that's pretty much what you're describing. Going Roggin and The Challenge, sometimes, has those "Roggin's Heroes" segments that's a hallmark of his for decades.

As far as KNBC beefing up their sports presence, as long as the other stations in town have team coverage of some sort locked-up, and as long as Roggin sticks around (38 years and counting), they're not extending their sports presence beyond what they report locally, and whatever NBC feeds them. It would help if there was a NBC RSN here in Southern California, because much like in Philadelphia, Chicago, the Bay Area, and Boston, the sports editorial staffs either work side-by-side with the local NBC O&O, or that O&O's sports department is integrated with the local RSN.

Will KNBC expand the weekend editions of Today In L.A.? They should expand and attempt to compete with KABC and KTLA.

For their sports department, they should have a weekly show on Saturdays and Sundays after their sporting events that is sports related showing highlights and interviews.

I never liked The Challenge. If that's the only sports oriented program they're offering after Sunday Night Foorball, I would prefer that they go straight to their news rather than have that show on.

• 4 weeks later...
Why is KNBC broadcasting from the newsroom instead of their studio tonight at 11pm? Did they do this for their earlier broadcast?

Camera and graphics upgrades according to Rick’s social media. It looked like it was all day and a good part of the previous weekend.

Also a neat video behind the scenes tour. I love how the ND has energy drinks, Advil and tums featured prominently.

[MEDIA=vimeo]188176096[/MEDIA]

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know who will be the new co anchor for the weekend evening news on knbc? Also, why did the station demote Ted Chen? He was anchoring the weekend morning news a few years ago.

• 1 month later...

Why is it that the station keeps on removing and then adding newscasts whenever just to fill programming holes within their lineup? KABC has kept most of their newscast and not removed them so often as KNBC does.

I think the station should either cancel Access Hollywood Live, move it to overnight, or move it to their sub channel airing on Cozi tv at noon. They should keep the 11am news and add a hour of news from noon to 1pm.

Have you noticed that KABC cut back their 3pm to a half hour and run World News Tonight at 3:30 (and again at 6:30)?

Interesting move. Looks like KGO influenced them since they’ve been doing that for a while.

The 3 p.m newscast on KABC is on weekdays and started in May 2016. I didn't realize it was cut back to 30 minutes either. So is the 3:30 p.m. broadcast of World News Tonight live?

KTLA started their 3 p.m. newscast back in December 2014.

The 3 p.m newscast on KABC is on weekdays and started in May 2016. I didn't realize it was cut back to 30 minutes either. So is the 3:30 p.m. broadcast of World News Tonight live?

Yes WNT is live.

Kabc doesn't change their lineup as much. They may make some changes, as with the network news airing twice, but for the most part, they keep their schedule the same unless the network adds programs to the schedule and they have to rearrange their lineup. I don't think there are other syndicated programs they believe will get better ratings than what they are getting with their newscast.

Knbc removed their newscast back in the early 2000's to make way for talk shows, and then just added the 4pm newscast back a a or two ago since they couldn't find other programming that would get decent ratings or do better than airing their newscast,

That is the live east coast feed.

Why has KNBC not expanded their weekend editions of Today In L.A.? Other stations have aired multiple hours of news in recent years while KNBC has kept their news to only 1 hour.

Same for KNTV and KNSD and the reasons why are pretty simple... E/I programming on Saturdays and NBC Sports on both days that air much earlier than what you'll think on the East Coast.

Like... NBC Sports usually starts in the afternoon most times around 2-3pm. In the West Coast, that's 11am or noon after either E/I programming or Sunday morning public affairs shows.

It makes it hard for NBC O&Os and affiliates to air more weekend morning news than they want to. Don't say that to KGW, KING, KCRA or some few other ones on that coast too because they've found ways around it that NBC O&O's are just too scared to do.

NBC sports programs usually start on the west coast after 11am on Saturday and Sundays. Why doesn't KNBC air news at 4-5am Saturday morning in addition to the 7-8am newscast? On Sundays, they should air news from 5-6am, 7-8am, plus 9:30-10am after their public affairs show called news conference, if necessary. This will be the case if there are no sports programming from the network at that time.

Changes to the PM Anchor Line Up? Previously Carolyn Johnson anchored 4pm and 6pm. Yesterday I saw her anchor the 4, but Colleen did the 5 and the 6pm as well. Colleen did the 6pm as well. Is Carolyn anchoring the midday and the 4pm news now? I thought Chuck and Carolyn had great chemistry. Always been a Colleen Williams fan as well.

If Colleen does anchor the 5 & 6pm news, that would make more sense in my view. She should have done the news with Chuck for the 5, 6, & 11pm ever since Paul retired. Carolyn should go back to anchoring the 11am and 4pm newscast with Michael. Anthony should do the weather forcast for the 11am and 4pm, while Fritz does the 5, 6, & 11pm newscast. David should do the weather for the weekend evening while Belen continues with the weekend morning weather. Both David and Belen should continue filling in for Shanna, Anthony, and Fritz as needed, plus do news reports as well so that they get additional air time.

KNBC should add more newscast to their Cpzi tv since they have so many tv anchors and reporters, as well as weather forcasters. Maybe add a 7pm hour news on Cozi and have Carolyn Johnson anchor the hour. She can just anchor the 4pm news with Michael and do solo anchoring at 7pm. Michael could do solo anchoring at 11am. Or they can continue to have Michelle and Kathy rotate filling in during those two newscast 11am & 7pm as co anchors, while continuing to anchor their weekend shifts.

Changes to the PM Anchor Line Up? Previously Carolyn Johnson anchored 4pm and 6pm. Yesterday I saw her anchor the 4, but Colleen did the 5 and the 6pm as well. Colleen did the 6pm as well. Is Carolyn anchoring the midday and the 4pm news now? I thought Chuck and Carolyn had great chemistry. Always been a Colleen Williams fan as well.

August vacations...and maybe some experimental pairing. Don't read anything into it.

Saw the open for the 6 PM show yesterday and Colleen mentioned she was in for Carolyn didn't catch the 4 PM show. AFAIK Colleen is the primary fill in for Carolyn at 4 & 6 and Carolyn is the primary fill in for Colleen at 5 & 11. Safe to say Carolyn is still anchoring the 6.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived