Tom Brokaw accused of sexual harassment

Georgie56

This is a stab in the gut for NBC News. It is one thing that Lauer's demons was exposed, it was well known in the industry he was a womanzier. Brokaw on the other hand was "straight shooter and revered" NBC named their California news bureau after him, this is defintely going to hurt NBC.

This is a stab in the gut for NBC News. It is one thing that Lauer's demons was exposed, it was well known in the industry he was a womanzier. Brokaw on the other hand was "straight shooter and revered" NBC named their California news bureau after him, this is defintely going to hurt NBC.

They should go to Home Depot and get some new stick-on letters and rename the bureau .

Rodger Ailes is turning in his grave.

So far Tom Brokaw hasn't done anything that would land him in jail if what he's accused of doing is true. SO FAR.

It's only Friday...

Hell only this Monday the boards were all spun-up over Sean Hannity going down over the Coen relationship.

Give it a few hours....or days.

I believe the Matt Lauer allegations because of is history and we all knew he was a philandering but I am really skeptical about this allegation against Tom Brokaw and have a hard time believing it. He really one of the good guys in broadcasting. He should sue her for libel

By the way 65 Women form NBC NEws wrote a letter in support of Tom Brokaw and I stand with them

The way the #MeToo movement has been going, get ready to see Mr. Brokaw's career to end soon.

I'll just say it right off the bat.

And I say the same thing because if the #MeToo movement can end the careers of Matt Laurer and Charlie Rose there's no reason why it shouldn't end Tom Brokaw's career

And I say the same thing because if the #MeToo movement can end the careers of Matt Laurer and Charlie Rose there's no reason why it shouldn't end Tom Brokaw's career

Except... this twist changes everything (at the bottom). If this number of women (and growing) write a letter to support Mr. Brokaw, then I may not buy her claims against Mr. Brokaw.

By the way 65 women from NBC News wrote a letter in support of Tom Brokaw and I stand with them

We didn't see a group of women write a letter to support Laurer or Rose so to see women stand up for Brokaw changes everything.

Except... this twist changes everything (at the bottom). If this number of women (and growing) write a letter to support Mr. Brokaw, then I may not buy her claims against Mr. Brokaw.

We didn't see a group of women write a letter to support Laurer or Rose so to see women stand up for Brokaw changes everything.

And why didn't we see women come out in support of both Laurer and Rose yet we're seeing that with Brokaw?

And why didn't we see women come out in support of both Laurer and Rose yet we're seeing that with Brokaw?

I’m guessing because they were widely known. It was an open secret that Matt Lauer was a mysoginistic and despite Charlie Rose appearing clean on air (despite the flirting John Oliver segments) probably was different off air.

I believe the Matt Lauer allegations because of is history and we all knew he was a philandering but I am really skeptical about this allegation against Tom Brokaw and have a hard time believing it. He really one of the good guys in broadcasting. He should sue her for libel

By the way 65 Women form NBC NEws wrote a letter in support of Tom Brokaw and I stand with them

Yup and he was an evening news anchor. The standards for evening news anchors are much higher then a morning show host or a cable news host. That is the main reason why not many people in the industry become evening news anchor. Even though we are living in fractured news media, the symbolism for the evening news anchor still exists.

Here the article: Maria Shriver, Rachel Maddow, and Mka Who tweeted out her support of the letter) are among the women to sign the letter http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/andrea-mitchell-rachel-maddow-kelly-odonnell-dozens-of-other-women-of-nbc-news-stand-by-tom-brokaw/363045

Here’s a link to the full letter. Some people like Stephanie Ruhle probably have had little experience with Tom. I’d like to see a list with the dates people worked with him or were with the company.

If anyone knows anything it’s his personal assistants (and maybe pages) over the years.

B-I-O-L-O-G-Y

Never gonna change.

"I like our...rat a tat tat"

"This is our compact"

At least we're getting some entertainment out of this if you put the lines in his diction / accent.

I wasn't going to care much either way, but was surprised that Tom turned to some pretty bullying language about her career and character in his 'unmoored' email to his news / power circle friends. Kind of the same unsubstantiated stuff he was saying she levied on him.

A decisive denial would have been enough.

The "I think he's a good guy and therefore he would NEVER do this" defense is always a good one.

I also remember women at Fox News coming out and defending Roger Ailes and got reamed for it, and who were they to say that he wouldn't have done like the things he was accused for, and just like with Brokaw.

Brokaw's letter was ridiculous and looked pretty tone-deaf so soon after the story broke.

I'm not sure what the story is tho these are the 3 possibilities. 1). Vester is lying about the whole situation either because she wants her 15 minutes of fame, $$$ or someone gave her the idea to lie to discredit Brokaw and in turn discredit NBC and Brokaw was angry that he was wrongfully accused of acting inappropriately with Vester . 2). Brokaw and Vester had an affair and Brokaw is angry that his wife now is aware that he wasn't faithful to her and Vester feels she was taken advantage of over 20 years later. 3). Brokaw was inappropriate towards Vester and is a completely different person in real life then his TV persona. He wouldn't be the first or the last TV personality to have two different personalities. My guess until more comes out is that Brokaw and Vester had an affair.

The "I think he's a good guy and therefore he would NEVER do this" defense is always a good one.

I also remember women at Fox News coming out and defending Roger Ailes and got reamed for it, and who were they to say that he wouldn't have done like the things he was accused for, and just like with Brokaw.

Brokaw's letter was ridiculous and looked pretty tone-deaf so soon after the story broke.

It's an unfortunate situation no matter how you look at it and no matter the outcome.

I do wonder, though, why it feels like sometimes society says to always believe the accusers, and sometimes society says to not.

I hope the allegation will be investigated fully and that the truth will prevail. Either Linda Vester is making this up and is maligning Brokaw's reputation for who knows what reason, or Brokaw acted inappropriately, and the women lining up to defend him will be embarrassed to say the least.

Or, perhaps most likely, the truth is somewhere in the middle.

I'm not sure what the story is tho these are the 3 possibilities. 1). Vester is lying about the whole situation either because she wants her 15 minutes of fame, $$$ or someone gave her the idea to lie to discredit Brokaw and in turn discredit NBC and Brokaw was angry that he was wrongfully accused of acting inappropriately with Vester . 2). Brokaw and Vester had an affair and Brokaw is angry that his wife now is aware that he wasn't faithful to her and Vester feels she was taken advantage of over 20 years later. 3). Brokaw was inappropriate towards Vester and is a completely different person in real life then his TV persona. He wouldn't be the first or the last TV personality to have two different personalities. My guess until more comes out is that Brokaw and Vester had an affair.

3 is the more realistic possibility cause a good portion of television personalities are schizophrenic, they are not always the personas they push on television. However, I feel that Brokaw story is shedding a light on NBC's management and hypocrisy. NBC is no different then Fox News, they have enabled and let these on air talent run free, act high and mighty and all they care about is money.

I agree. This incident, if true and I feel like it is, just shows how much Human Resources departments are a joke. HR pretty much protects the company and rarely helps serve the people that they are supposed to support. If you are an in-demand person, a hotshot or the face on an industry, you get to play your own game. Whether it's Fox, NBC, CBS or even ABC/Disney (which is awaiting it's own verdict with Lasseter and have been able to skate free from their role with Miramax/Weinstein in the 90s), someone did know about something, but admitting it right now will just shine a bright light and possible termination to many who have kept these allegations secret, so many will deny they knew something. I am glad we are unraveling this hypocrisy, we need more of this.

I do wonder, though, why it feels like sometimes society says to always believe the accusers, and sometimes society says to not.

The easy (or simplest) answer is that every story/accusation is different and thus requires a case-by-case response/reaction. There is not enough known,imo, to suggest what Vester said happened is the truth or a lie. Nor can I say that Brokaw's denial was over-the-top/an over-reaction because I sure as hell wouldn't be mincing words if someone was making false accusations about me (that's not to suggest Brokaw is innocent/guilty however).

Archived