KTLA Adding 11am News

FiveNews

I got a push notification right at 11 am today that "Today we introduce the KTLA 5 News at 11, our new hourlong late-morning news show".

I guess they didn't consider Tuesday the debut since the first 1/2 hour was eaten up by a police chase.

Tuesday was the debut.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Former Member 207
He's still on the schedule. At 2:30 AM.

Hopefully it's a sign that Springer, Maury Povich, and Steve Wilkos will be phased-off of TV for good sometime soon. All of these shows have more than long ago outlived its usefulness.

He's still on the schedule. At 2:30 AM.

My guess is this move by KTLA to air Springer at 2:30a is temporary until the fall.

The next move, I think, is what the CW does with the hour of programming they have during the day. If they give it back to the affiliates, expect Springer to make a return to afternoons on KTLA in the fall....

If KTLA get rid of their talk shows, then they should just have news from 4am-8pm & 10-11:30pm every weekday. Then they can put their comedies reruns overnight or put infomercials.

• 2 months later...

One thing I always admired about KTLA is that the 4-7am team and the 7am-11am team have separate, but equal identities. Megan, Chris and Henry all mesh well together. Their chemistry is unmatched. Same goes for Jessica, Frank, Mark and Sam. They've always made those two teams their own. It is rare to see Megan or Chris fill in on the later show after doing the 4-7am shift. There are times where Megan and or Chris has skipped their early show and sat in from 7-10. I have seen Chris, Megan or Henry anchor from 4-10, but those are extremely rare only reserved for when later talent calls in sick at the last minute.

Eric is usually the primary fill in, but as MorningNews stated, Chris Burrous is in the mix as well. I prefer Eric over Chris since he is one of the originals.

• 2 weeks later...
One thing I always admired about KTLA is that the 4-7am team and the 7am-11am team have separate, but equal identities. Megan, Chris and Henry all mesh well together. Their chemistry is unmatched. Same goes for Jessica, Frank, Mark and Sam. They've always made those two teams their own. It is rare to see Megan or Chris fill in on the later show after doing the 4-7am shift. There are times where Megan and or Chris has skipped their early show and sat in from 7-10. I have seen Chris, Megan or Henry anchor from 4-10, but those are extremely rare only reserved for when later talent calls in sick at the last minute.

Eric is usually the primary fill in, but as MorningNews stated, Chris Burrous is in the mix as well. I prefer Eric over Chris since he is one of the originals.

Eric Spillman has filled-in for Frank the last 3 weeks and damn he is really good! It's shocking to me that he doesn't have an anchor role on the program because he easily could go head-to-head with Frank Buck or Chris Schuable.

I agree it's quite remarkable that KTLA treats the "B" team just as significantly as the "A" team. Both groups are the some of the best on TV. Even the weekend crew is talented, minus Chris Burrous. It's always been interesting to me how KTLA can be so dominate over every one else not named Eyewitness News but watching their newscasts makes it really apparent why SoCal loves channel 5.

Every time I'm in LA, I watch KTLA's morning show. They have so much chemistry with each other and they make it work. I really appreciate how they cover community events in the morning, since they have so much time. They are a stable team with few changes and I really admire that. I gave up on FOX 11 a long time ago.

I agree it's quite remarkable that KTLA treats the "B" team just as significantly as the "A" team. Both groups are the some of the best on TV. Even the weekend crew is talented, minus Chris Burrous. It's always been interesting to me how KTLA can be so dominate over every one else not named Eyewitness News but watching their newscasts makes it really apparent why SoCal loves channel 5.

The “B” team won an Emmy two weekends ago for best newscast (6 a.m.) over 60-minutes

7CA04C44-7EF0-4736-A190-40210059A81C.jpeg.f0be45f85acc2b326ae279489f29d590.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
Hopefully it's a sign that Springer, Maury Povich, and Steve Wilkos will be phased-off of TV for good sometime soon. All of these shows have more than long ago outlived its usefulness.

They were recently given double renewals, which means they'll be staying till at least 2020. And maybe NBCU will keep them both on beyond that, thanks to their loyal fanbase, and to some stations it's better than airing infomercials.

My guess is this move by KTLA to air Springer at 2:30a is temporary until the fall.

The next move, I think, is what the CW does with the hour of programming they have during the day. If they give it back to the affiliates, expect Springer to make a return to afternoons on KTLA in the fall....

I thought Jerry reruns (and potentially new shows) was taking over Robert Irvine's time slot? That's what we all heard.

But anyhow, with all this news on the OTA channels, it makes one wonder if LA really needs the new Spectrum News channel coming in November. The only real holes Spectrum would fill will be Midnight to 4am and 2pm. I dunno, maybe its a California thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually the 6 PM newscast is one of KTLA's lowest rated newscasts. From what I can tell on Tribune's media releases, the 6 PM newscast places 3rd in the demo beating KCBS but is competitive with KABC and KNBC. In total viewers, they never mention numbers so my inclination is that they place 4th.

• 1 month later...

Sounds like people are taking extra time/working on their reports before the November ratings period starts. Frank still does 7a-11am. Glen does 11a, 1pm and 3pm. Mark Mester is a reporter and fills in on the desk when needed. No need to panic.

Archived